S. Murphy vs. S.V.B. 2013 D.C.C.

onepockethacker

Verified Member
It's statements like the bolded one above that really get my attention. Of course we all should shoot shots that are unnecessary and wrong just to see if we have the ability to do it. :lol:lol

Dr. Bill

Billy the best banker in the world just said your shot is a shit shot.. Then again you probably know more about bank pool than John :rolleyes: The bank of the 1 ball is a dead losing shot unless you make it it isnt worth SHIT!!!... This is one reason you give up free cross corners like you are passing out FREE SAMPLES!!:sorry

John Brumback

Verified Member
John the big problem with this bank is that the angle is too steep. If the angle was flatter then you can comfortably sight the ball better and play much better speed and direction with both balls. I set this bank up and I agree with your assessment of the shot, plus with the angle the way it is, scratching two rails in the corner is also a concern. A flatter angle sends the cue ball much longer and the hit becomes much easier. Agree? When I first looked at the bank I thought that it played more comfortable than it does. Really have to be at the table to judge a lot of these shots to give an accurate evaluation of them. Good call on this bank.

Thanks.Like I said I have looked at this shot a bunch of times since it's been up.Also,my table is in my basement and it's been raining here for 2 or 3 days:eek::lol So on my table right now,I don't think I could even make the shot at all. Under the right conditions I can see that shot being made though but even then,I would say it's at best,very low %. Oh yeah, put it a little flatter and it's a real good shot;) Yes being at the table makes a huge difference in alot of these shots,I think.JB

onepockethacker

Verified Member
John the big problem with this bank is that the angle is too steep. If the angle was flatter then you can comfortably sight the ball better and play much better speed and direction with both balls. I set this bank up and I agree with your assessment of the shot, plus with the angle the way it is, scratching two rails in the corner is also a concern. A flatter angle sends the cue ball much longer and the hit becomes much easier. Agree? When I first looked at the bank I thought that it played more comfortable than it does. Really have to be at the table to judge a lot of these shots to give an accurate evaluation of them. Good call on this bank.

Holy Shit the light bulb finally went on in your head.. See Billy I didnt need to go set the shot up on a table to see if the 1 railer it was a viable option... Its COMPLETE GARBAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!! When you and Danny do the accustats commentary is there a pool table next to your booth and you guys run over and set up the shots before giving your opinions? I know its next to impossible for you to admit you were WRONG although you kinda said it to John.
P.S. you need to wear sunscreen 4000 to protect whats left of your brain from sun damage

John Brumback

Verified Member
Holy Shit the light bulb finally went on in your head.. See Billy I didnt need to go set the shot up on a table to see if the 1 railer it was a viable option... Its COMPLETE GARBAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!! When you and Danny do the accustats commentary is there a pool table next to your booth and you guys run over and set up the shots before giving your opinions? I know its next to impossible for you to admit you were WRONG although you kinda said it to John.
P.S. you need to wear sunscreen 4000 to protect whats left of your brain from sun damage

That's funny as hell,I don't care who you are:lol:lol JB

onepockethacker

Verified Member
That's funny as hell,I don't care who you are:lol:lol JB

I can picture them jumping up from their seats in the booth and running to the table still wearing their microphones and setting the balls up.. try the 1 railer Danny.. SHIT thats no good!! now try the 2 railer.. **** that doesnt work either.. How about a kick safe? CRAP screwed that up to... Hurry up Danny the fans are waiting for our opinions.. than they both walk back and say... I think we both agree taking an intentional foul is the way to go here:D:sorry lol lol:lol:lol

Heres the clean version in case Danny was the one cussing... try the 1 railer Billy.. DANG IT thats no good!! now try the 2 railer Billy.. SON OF A PIGEON that doesn't work either.. How about a kick safe? JUMPING GEE WILLIKERS I screwed that up to..

Last edited:

bstroud

Verified Member
The shot choice from this situation is not good.

When I find myself in this kind of must win situation I look where on the table would be the best place to leave both balls.

Clearly having the one ball in or near your pocket would be best but trying to put it there from this position offers a low percentage of success no matter who you are.

Putting the one ball in the corner pocket on your side is no good because you will probably find yourself shooting out of the same pocket on the next shot.

I would want to put the one ball about 6"-12" from the far corner pocket on my side and put the cue ball about 12"-18" from the far corner pocket on my opponents' side.

Overcutting the one ball slightly with high right and shooting it off the end rail should put both balls in this position. There is a lot of room for error.

From this position your opponent is forced to make a defensive shot.

Bill S.

onepockethacker

Verified Member

When I find myself in this kind of must win situation I look where on the table would be the best place to leave both balls.

Clearly having the one ball in or near your pocket would be best but trying to put it there from this position offers a low percentage of success no matter who you are.

Putting the one ball in the corner pocket on your side is no good because you will probably find yourself shooting out of the same pocket on the next shot.

I would want to put the one ball about 6"-12" from the far corner pocket on my side and put the cue ball about 12"-18" from the far corner pocket on my opponents' side.

Overcutting the one ball slightly with high right and shooting it off the end rail should put both balls in this position. There is a lot of room for error.

Bill S.

That is the shot I ended up choosing...

John Brumback

Verified Member

Bill S.

That's sounds like a good shot. Could you do the same thing and just baby them down a ft or two? Just wondering. JB

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Let me see if I got this right. Bill M. option with shooting the 1ball toward the upper pocket and playing safe would be the best option from this position.:) (PLAYERS THAT WOULD CHOOSE THIS OPTION WOULD DO WELL)

The bank option isn't any good because of the steepness of the angle, too difficult to execute. If the angle was flatter it would be the best option, right guys?:D (PLAYERS THAT WOULD ENTERTAIN THIS OPTION WOULD REALIZE ONCE AT THE TABLE THAT THE ANGLE IS TOO STEEP FOR THE SHOT AND LOOK ELSEWHERE)

OPH option with pocketing the 1ball in the side and drawing the cue ball to the top right pocket is a losing shot, right guys? :p (PLAYERS THAT WOULD CHOOSE THIS OPTION ARE JUST PLAIN STUPID, AND YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID)

And John B. is shooting to the wrong pocket.:sorry (PLAYERS THAT WOULD DO THIS WOULD GET THEIR COAT TAILS PULLED AND SMARTEN UP)

Gosh darn it...almost forgot to mention to the Hacker to make sure he stays out of the sun.

Dr. Bill

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Let me see if I got this right. Bill M. option with shooting the 1ball toward the upper pocket and playing safe would be the best option from this position.:) (PLAYERS THAT WOULD CHOOSE THIS OPTION WOULD DO WELL)

The bank option isn't any good because of the steepness of the angle, too difficult to execute. If the angle was flatter it would be the best option, right guys?:D (PLAYERS THAT WOULD ENTERTAIN THIS OPTION WOULD REALIZE ONCE AT THE TABLE THAT THE ANGLE IS TOO STEEP FOR THE SHOT AND LOOK ELSEWHERE)

OPH option with pocketing the 1ball in the side and drawing the cue ball to the top right pocket is a losing shot, right guys? :p (PLAYERS THAT WOULD CHOOSE THIS OPTION ARE JUST PLAIN STUPID, AND YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID)

And John B. is shooting to the wrong pocket.:sorry (PLAYERS THAT WOULD DO THIS WOULD GET THEIR COAT TAILS PULLED AND SMARTEN UP)

Gosh darn it...almost forgot to mention to the Hacker to make sure he stays out of the sun.

Dr. Bill

Obviously old timers disease has kicked in for you.. drawing the cueball uptable by the corner pocket is a losing proposition..... LETS SEE... That very position and shot was a wwyd on here about a week 2 weeks ago.. and YOU and the majority on here were scratching your asses as to what to do from that position.. Dennis showed screenshots of what Varner and Mizerak both did when facing that shot and THEY BOTH LOST!!!!! lmfao now all of a sudden its a losing position? I tell you what without Danny secretly in your ear telling you what to say on acustats your game is pretty weak from the chair.:D:sorry Now Dennis please put this same shot up about a week from now and Billy will be swearing one railing the 1 ball is the shot:sorry:lol:lol

John Brumback

Verified Member

Dr. Bill

:sorry I will be limping back to the bank forum now with my tail between my legs:lol nah just kiddin!!!!!!!!!!!!! JB

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I would shoot the bank to make it, with speed, pulling the cue ball twice across the head part of the table. Good chance to make it and if I miss it goes back to the end rail. Downside is I bubble in my corner and leave a cross corner.

I would explain how to shoot this (as it actually is shown in one of my books and one of my DVDs), but I am a little miffed that so few members even viewed the Efren/SVB interview Bill Smith put up. Steve Booth did at least put up a mercy post. I guess when Bill included the word "Chicago" that must have chased most everybody away. Then, in the post description when he said Efren verifies on tape just exactly who taught him one-pocket, that ran off whoever was left.

Then again, maybe I am being too sensitive and thin-skinned. After all, how interesting could a lengthy interview with the 2 best players in the world be? Yeah sure, this is a one-pocket forum, but why would learning that one of our own forum members taught the greatest one-pocket player in history how to play have any sort of viewing value?

Beard

This kind of thing really keeps me motivated to share my knowledge on the site. Or maybe nobody gives a sh*t anyway. Either way I certainly have lived through worse.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
freddy, :sorry where's this interview located at?

looks like i might have to order the accustats dvd just to see what svb played...:p

dustin "just plain stupid" miller
:eek::D

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I guess I'll opine on my choice of shot from here before I show what SVB shot.

I don't mind that particular straight-back from that type position but this one looks much too thin. I'm thinking I like the draw to the top-right corner off the ball and pocket the ball in the side.

My reasoning is this:

If I were to bank the ball straight-back near my pocket my opponent will shoot it uptable by his top-rail corner or siderail. He'll leave the cueball near my pocket. Now I'm shooting out of my corner at a ball 7'-9' away. No big deal, happens all the time, but, I'd rather shoot the 1 in the side and draw to the siderail and try to put the cueball near the uptable corner. This way, he'll bank the ball cross-corner, probably not to make it but just to get it over there. Now I'll move it and put it by my uptable corner or siderail and leave the cueball near his corner.

I'll be watching him shoot the same long safety at a ball on my side or corner. He may just slip on a banana peel:p.

I realize I may not draw far enough over or up near the corner and I may leave him a better shot at a cross-corner than I would like to leave but for me, this is a tough spot and I can stroke that shot and be absolutely certain of where the 1 ball will be when I'm done. Nobody elses shot does that. I'd guess I'm probably about 80% certain of getting the cueball just where I want it but in this layout I'll take that.

There are several possible leaves for the cueball of course, I'm just showing one of them, not necessarily the ideal one. This is generally the shot I would shoot.

cbd1.jpg

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I would shoot the bank to make it, with speed, pulling the cue ball twice across the head part of the table. Good chance to make it and if I miss it goes back to the end rail. Downside is I bubble in my corner and leave a cross corner.

I would explain how to shoot this (as it actually is shown in one of my books and one of my DVDs), but I am a little miffed that so few members even viewed the Efren/SVB interview Bill Smith put up. Steve Booth did at least put up a mercy post. I guess when Bill included the word "Chicago" that must have chased most everybody away. Then, in the post description when he said Efren verifies on tape just exactly who taught him one-pocket, that ran off whoever was left.

Then again, maybe I am being too sensitive and thin-skinned. After all, how interesting could a lengthy interview with the 2 best players in the world be? Yeah sure, this is a one-pocket forum, but why would learning that one of our own forum members taught the greatest one-pocket player in history how to play have any sort of viewing value?

Beard

This kind of thing really keeps me motivated to share my knowledge on the site. Or maybe nobody gives a sh*t anyway. Either way I certainly have lived through worse.

I watched the podcast over on AZ and yes I saw where Efren said you taught him how to play one pocket.. Pretty cool..
P.S. Efren said you taught him everything you ever knew about one pocket... and he will always cherish those 15 minutes!!!:eek: :lol:lol:sorry
Couldn't resist a little needle:D It is really cool to hear him say you taught him though, that is a nice feather in your cap