2012 One Pocket HOF Call for Nominations

beatle

Verified Member
putting ervalino in the hof degrades it. or the action one. he was always broke, hardly ever bet his own money, almost never played one pocket as he was a straight pool player. he dumped all his friends and backers. his only redeeming feature was that he played well, but was under so many others in this world.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
The bite was mentioned as a semi-disqualifier for the HOF. We might as well give back all the trophies like they did with Lance Armstrong. The bite-men in our HOF outnumber the other guys like 10 to 1.

As far as who played better One pocket when they were both at their best, I would give the nod to Cliff over Shannon. To me, Cliff was the 2nd best player in the world for at least 10 years. And that is taking nothing away from the Dough Boy.

Beard

Incidentally, Carla Johnson is one of the select few women in the Secret Society.

in the shannon thread in a reply to a comment about cliff and his reputation for the bite i wrote this.........

im not sure that "bite tendencies" should be part of the criteria
it should be performance on the table
to me the bite is not that unscrupulous as a character flaw to preclude someone from induction (ie ronnie allen) since the biteee and biteor
both know the odds of repayment...,,,,:rolleyes:........:D...........:heh
icbw

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I strongly agree with this...during that period, I played Cliff many times, and watched him play many, many more times...his game was superb in all facets of the game - a thing of beauty to watch....Shannon may have had a small edge in banking balls, but imo Cliff could and did run more 10's and 12's on people than Shannon, had a more precise cueball (particularly when shooting One Pocket related power and delicate shots), and was more creative --- second in all of those things, only to Efren.

- Ghost

The more precise cb part is just pure, unadulterated 100% fact (even though such a thing cannot be fact:)).

I personally will add that I believe their tops speeds to be very close, cliff got there more with cb and I also like his kicking skills (not that he didn't do everything great, he did), and shannon with that damn pocketing power. They are both no brainers.

I also thought cliff was a really good guy. I only talked with him a few minutes, but I like his quiet demeanor.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Larry and Fred have made good points. Looking over the current members in our HOFs, I didn't notice any who had left the Baptist seminary to pursue a career in one-pocket. Few of them would have qualified as able assistants to Mother Theresa.:rolleyes: Most of these guys were scratching out a living anyway they could, some more imaginative than others; but few followed the Boy Scout Oath.

My hope is that we nominate and elect guys based upon their one-pocket prowess.

Doc

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
As far as who played better One pocket when they were both at their best said:
As far as who played better One pocket when they were both at their best, I would give the nod to Cliff over Shannon. To me, Cliff was the 2nd best player in the world for at least 10 years. And that is taking nothing away from the Dough Boy.

Beard

I strongly agree with this...during that period, I played Cliff many times, and watched him play many, many more times...his game was superb in all facets of the game - a thing of beauty to watch....Shannon may have had a small edge in banking balls, but imo Cliff could and did run more 10's and 12's on people than Shannon, had a more precise cueball (particularly when shooting One Pocket related power and delicate shots), and was more creative --- second in all of those things, only to Efren.

- Ghost

I never played Shannon, but played Cliff many times. He gave me a big spot= no big deal. He also gave Senor 9/7 several times with no big decision. I didn't think anyone could do that. He was the best I ever played. :) I've played some champs. :frus
Rod.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
This post is directed mainly to Steve Booth, and is a little attempt to breathe more life into this subject. The silence on here is deafening.

Anyway, I want to suggest to Steve that we add a little music to the Hall of Fame Dinner. We could have someone with a DVD player just insert a few short cuts at appropriate times in the presentation. Some suggestions: On the road again, by Canned Heat, Gonna Fly, out of Rocky 1, Detroit City by Bobby Bare if Jew Paul gets honored, and etc., and etc.

Believe it or not, even with all the apparent disinterest on here regarding it (?), there are still plenty of people that have assured me that they can't hardly wait to attend another HOF Dinner.

Beard

P00lh0li0

Verified Member
Interesting ideas, OSG. Grady was certainly the ambassador of one-pocket, and no one liked the action more than he did. We'll see if the idea gets traction from any of the others. Some may balk at naming an award after an individual rather than after a distinction.

Doc

I'm bringing up this back up to give my little suggestion. Instead of naming the whole award for Grady, how about something like naming the Plague itself in honor of Grady? They do it in other sports so why not for the Lifetime in action award? Thank you.