Frost/ochoa Ca. Billiard Club #1

SJDinPHX

Suspended
NH Steve said:
I can think of three tips for this hijack.

One is just looking for natural routes to get the cue ball somewhere -- then you're not trying to force it into a spot in the first place, but instead you are taking advantage of a natural roll.

Two is adding a little 'kill english' -- I see that with the old-time players a lot. That is, if the cue ball is going to be angling into the rail from the left side, they apply left english to help kill it.

Three is extra special for all you straight shooting (also 9r -ball) players, and that is to master your stop shots: first to stop right there (which is right away a huge tool), and then to stop and inch a bit (like Freddy spoke of), in your direction of choice.

Steve is right, you cannot explain it any better..You have to learn to play your cue ball first, and the object ball seconnd...A lot of guys overlook shots because they will not go straight in on a bank...Get them close to your hole, and go for the trap... You don't have to make a ball every time up, ..Look for the trap first...missing a bank by a diamond, may be your best option...:cool:

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
..Look for the trap first...missing a bank by a diamond, may be your best option...

Boy, am I glad to hear that! :D

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
vapros said:
..Look for the trap first...missing a bank by a diamond, may be your best option...

Boy, am I glad to hear that! :D
sounds like chicago style squeeze one pocket :eek: :D
just sayin:)

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
id like to get more tips on freezing the cue ball so keep any advice coming
thanks

for those of you that are dying to know what sylver shot:rolleyes: ......

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
bstroud said:
He is not going to win this game unless he changes where all the balls are. On Scotts' side.

I can tell the exact angle but it really doesn't matter.

He should shoot the 6 ball into either side of the 3 ball and put the cue ball FROZEN to the end rail. This shot will clear most of the balls away.

I see these so called good players shoot shots where they should FREEZE the cue ball on the rail and all I see is careless shots with the cue ball an inch or more off the rail.

Bill Stroud
Bill i agree with you completely and again i post this thread for comments on sylvers shot selection
ill showw a sequence on shots because even tho i dont think sylver made the right choice
he was able to slowly start to get out of the trap he put himself in
(or scot put him in) until a fatal mistake

but heres what sylver did
he went off the 8 to leave scott down table and not froze to the rail
of1.jpg

anyway

Last edited:

bstroud

Verified Member
lll said:
id like to get more tips on freezing the cue ball so keep any advice coming
thanks

for those of you that are dying to know what sylver shot:rolleyes: ......

Freezing the cue ball to the rail is something you just feel how to do.

It helps of course to at least think about doing it.

It just seems to go over the head of a lot of good players.

Bill Stroud

bstroud

Verified Member
Frost really didn't do very well here.

He left a shot with the 6 ball to clear out the pocket and FREEZE the cue ball to the rail again.

Bill Stroud

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
sappo said:
This will sound simple but it is a key. EVERY TIME you are shooting a shot that is defensive in nature you MUST think about exactly where you want to leave the cue ball, for example on the rail or touching an object ball.....When im playing my best im aware of exactly where i want the cue ball to end up and im rewarded because I preplanned the exact outcome. When im not at my best, and i beleive it has to do with my concentration, Im not pre planning and im not getting the results i should.
This is not a trick to control the cue ball but if you pre think the exact location the cue ball will end at you will improve your game a lot. Keith

Look no further. That is the answer. But you must do it. It is not a solution for careless, lazy or uncommitted players.

What I said: Same thing, different words.
"The most important secret to freezing the cue ball to another ball is to visualize it actually happening first. Program it into your brain and imagination first, then go ahead and execute it --- but be sure to hold your concentration all the way thru until the cue ball comes to a stop. Dont just get the shot started and then look up or over to see what the cue ball is doing. Maintain concentration. A million dollar secret."

Sappo has laid it out for you. Great minds think alike. Does it all seem too easy? Try doing it every shot for 3 or 4 hours and then see how easy it is.

Beard

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
fred bentivegna said:
Look no further. That is the answer. But you must do it. It is not a solution for careless, lazy or uncommitted players.

What I said: Same thing, different words.
"The most important secret to freezing the cue ball to another ball is to visualize it actually happening first. Program it into your brain and imagination first, then go ahead and execute it --- but be sure to hold your concentration all the way thru until the cue ball comes to a stop. Dont just get the shot started and then look up or over to see what the cue ball is doing. Maintain concentration. A million dollar secret."

Sappo has laid it out for you. Great minds think alike. Does it all seem too easy? Try doing it every shot for 3 or 4 hours and then see how easy it is.

Beard

I think as age is overtaking me, this is the hardest part of holding my game together.

I still play four to six hour sessions a couple times a week and near the end it is a defensive shot that almost always does me in. I get lazy, shoot too fast or overlook the better defensive shot because I am getting mentally tired and do not look at all the options. As hard as I try to keep it together, the concentration slips away.

I played a great match at the open while very tired after a couple of belts. Maybe RA and SJD have had the answer to aging all along.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
John, I'm trying to understand your comment about the answer to aging, and your reference to Dick and Ronnie Allen. Is this something about alcohol, or is it something else? Is it related to pool at all?

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
vapros said:
John, I'm trying to understand your comment about the answer to aging, and your reference to Dick and Ronnie Allen. Is this something about alcohol, or is it something else? Is it related to pool at all?
vapros
ill let john h. give you the correct answer but my recollection is they "coerced" him to having a shot or 2 when he was tired and/or mentally drained and he played great
if im correct john i think what happens if you have just enough to "loosen up" but not enough to impair you hand eye coordination
you lose alittle inhibition and go for shots that you might talk yourself out of
yet with that loss of inhibition comes the confidence to make the shot:eek:
as OB1 would say "you let the force be with you" and go alittle bit on instinct
icbw

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
vapros said:

It is a reference to alcohol. RA and Dick are both friends and are noted for drinking when they played their best pool, especially when they were older.

I am 72 years old and have never drank when I gamble at pool or play in tournaments and I am a moderate drinker when I do drink.

At the US Open One Pocket tournament on the third day I had played about 9 1/2 hours and was dead tired. My next match was with Paul Song from Florida who had just knocked out Parica and either Jeremy Jones or Gabe Owen. Dick took a look at me and he and Frank Almanza took me to the bar and I had a couple of Jack/Cokes. I played my best match of the tournament and won and was finally knocked out by Alex the next morning.

I jokingly tell my friends that maybe if I had drank more in my pool playing career I could have been a champion.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
jrhendy said:
I think as age is overtaking me, this is the hardest part of holding my game together.

I still play four to six hour sessions a couple times a week and near the end it is a defensive shot that almost always does me in. I get lazy, shoot too fast or overlook the better defensive shot because I am getting mentally tired and do not look at all the options. As hard as I try to keep it together, the concentration slips away.

I played a great match at the open while very tired after a couple of belts. Maybe RA and SJD have had the answer to aging all along.

Your brain runs on sugar and oxygen. Alcohol converts directly to sugar. You probably had just enough to fuel your brain and not enough to dull your senses.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
jrhendy said:
It is a reference to alcohol. RA and Dick are both friends and are noted for drinking when they played their best pool, especially when they were older.

I am 72 years old and have never drank when I gamble at pool or play in tournaments and I am a moderate drinker when I do drink.

At the US Open One Pocket tournament on the third day I had played about 9 1/2 hours and was dead tired. My next match was with Paul Song from Florida who had just knocked out Parica and either Jeremy Jones or Gabe Owen. Dick took a look at me and he and Frank Almanza took me to the bar and I had a couple of Jack/Cokes. I played my best match of the tournament and won and was finally knocked out by Alex the next morning.

I jokingly tell my friends that maybe if I had drank more in my pool playing career I could have been a champion.

As you know John, RA was a master at getting his mixture right, especially during his prime years...I did not go that route, I only relied on booze, and it served me fairly well, for a lot of years. I actually felt I could not make a ball without a few "nerve settlers"...Never did overdo it. (very often, anyway) It seemed to work for me.

You also know, that my health stood up much longer than Ronnie's...as I did not have to deal with diabetes and the weight problem that he did. It has only been recently, as we've aged, that both RA's and my capacity for liquior, has naturally dropped. Actually, he handled that onset better than I did...I kept thinking...When is the stuff going to
"kick in", and calm my nerves ?...It took a while to realize, it wasn't gonna happen anymore...I was always a pretty mellow drinker, never got loud or abusive..and at times, I felt invincible...As the 'age card' started to hit me, I still tried to play high as I could, and took a few brutal bashing's as I began to slip..I know where I'm at now...And have finally hung it up.

Its good to see RA still swinging away up there...He's only about 5 yrs. my junior, and I know he thrives on the horses, and pool action...He'll be doing that, 'til they plant him...I consider myself very lucky, that I don't have to play....Good thing, for me..;) (but, I still miss it like hell)

PS..I will live, vicariously through you, and RA...(as long as neither of you miss a ball when I'm in).JK.:D...Your my ace's, if you never win a race's..

Last edited:

SJDinPHX said:
As you know John, RA was a master at getting his mixture right, especially during his prime years...I did not go that route, I only relied on booze, and it served me fairly well, for a lot of years. I actually felt I could not make a ball without a few "nerve settlers"...Never did overdo it. (very often, anyway) It seemed to work for me.

You also know, that my health stood up much longer than Ronnie's...as I did not have to deal with diabetes and the weight problem that he did. It has only been recently, as we've aged, that both RA's and my capacity for liquior, has naturally dropped. Actually, he handled that onset better than I did...I kept thinking...When is the stuff going to
"kick in", and calm my nerves ?...It took a while to realize, it wasn't gonna happen anymore...I was always a pretty mellow drinker, never got loud or abusive..and at times, I felt invincible...As the 'age card' started to hit me, I still tried to play high as I could, and took a few brutal bashing's as I began to slip..I know where I'm at now...And have finally hung it up.

Its good to see RA still swinging away up there...He's only about 5 yrs. my junior, and I know he thrives on the horses, and pool action...He'll be doing that, 'til they plant him...I consider myself very lucky, that I don't have to play....Good thing, for me..;) (but, I still miss it like hell)

PS..I will live, vicariously through you, and RA...(as long as neither of you miss a ball when I'm in).:D...Your my ace, if you never win a race

Bitter sweet, Ducky.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
petie said:
Your brain runs on sugar and oxygen. Alcohol converts directly to sugar. You probably had just enough to fuel your brain and not enough to dull your senses.

This old dog does not mind learning new tricks.

I play in a monthly one pocket tournament against the best Northern California has to offer next Saturday. Usually have to get by Raphael Martinez, Billy Palmer and half a dozen right under their speed. The tournament usually last 12/14 hours and if I get near the end I am usually dead on my feet.

My secret weapon will be a flask with a little Jack to mix with a coke to liven up the senses. I will have to work my way up to Yukon Jack.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
jrhendy said:
This old dog does not mind learning new tricks.

I play in a monthly one pocket tournament against the best Northern California has to offer next Saturday. Usually have to get by Raphael Martinez, Billy Palmer and half a dozen right under their speed. The tournament usually last 12/14 hours and if I get near the end I am usually dead on my feet.

My secret weapon will be a flask with a little Jack to mix with a coke to liven up the senses. I will have to work my way up to Yukon Jack.

You can depend on it 'livening up the senses', for a few more years...then watch out. Beyond that, sometimes we forget how much we've drank.

PS..The voice of experience...Also, YJ is 100 proof, anything less tastes like kool-aid...:eek: