One Pocket applied to 8-ball

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
I was practicing banks while watching an 8-ball tournament the other night..And this came up.

The obvious shot here, (you have SOLIDS) took all of 2 seconds to figure out.

They huddled as a team, and the captain instructed...And after talking with the whole group, they decided to shoot it CROSS CORNER!!!

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@2CSjL2Halh3IbFb3PAht2WSjL2WayO2WXDG3kAht2kQvj2kRlb@[/CUETABLE]

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Surprisingly, many pro's while playing eight ball in the IPT tournaments had situations like this where a well placed safety could win the game, instead they elected to go for very difficult shots and many games were lost because of this.

Their shot selections were either because they had too much confidence in their ball pocketing abilities or they were not too familiar in playing eight ball.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
newfosgatesucks said:
I was practicing banks while watching an 8-ball tournament the other night..And this came up.

The obvious shot here, (you have SOLIDS) took all of 2 seconds to figure out.

They huddled as a team, and the captain instructed...And after talking with the whole group, they decided to shoot it CROSS CORNER!!!

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@2CSjL2Halh3IbFb3PAht2WSjL2WayO2WXDG3kAht2kQvj2kRlb@[/CUETABLE]

I would not shoot this shot. If the 3 ball doesnt role perfect for you the you give the plaer a free shot too win the game.

You have too put the 3 ball in a different position.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Artie Bodendorfer said:
I would not shoot this shot. If the 3 ball doesnt role perfect for you the you give the plaer a free shot too win the game.

where artie would you put the 3 ball???

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Artie Bodendorfer said:

I would shoot the 3 ball two rails too the corner pocket dowh the other end. And bring the cue ball To the first dimond on the the other end off the table.

Looks like a tough angle but I can gice up a free shot. And if he misses youre still in trouble with the 3 ball.

You have to put the treeball were if he misses you will have a decent shot.

And you have too put the cue ball were if he shoots he has a poor chance off making it.

And if he misses you will have a decent shot too shoot if he misses.

Were the three ball is its in a very poor postione. Even if he can just hit the nine ball. He wont leave nothing.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
If the nine ball is frozen to the rail this makes the kick very difficult because it would require more speed in case you hit the nine ball full or the rail first.

Sorry Artie, but I don't like your shot. I wouldn't like to let a good player see the nine. If he has his back to the wall and has to shoot, most will come with the shot or will scare you trying. I prefer him to kick at it.

If your three ball gets a little out of line, he now has a safety option.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Frank Almanza said:
If the nine ball is frozen to the rail this makes the kick very difficult because it would require more speed in case you hit the nine ball full or the rail first.

Sorry Artie, but I don't like your shot. I wouldn't like to let a good player see the nine. If he has his back to the wall and has to shoot, most will come with the shot or will scare you trying. I prefer him to kick at it.

Yes but the player wont have a shot on the 3 ball because the 8 ball is in the pocket. And to kick at a 3 ball its very hard too get it were you think it will go.

The only way too see it is too shoot it. And By ehooting the 3 ball the way I said the main foucus is getting the cue ball in the correct position .

Or close enough will get it too because were the 9 ball is. IN reality you only have one pocket too make the nineball. Unless you bank it

And if its froze the bank will be harder. I would play someone from that position they kick it. And I shoot my shot. I like my chances.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Artie Bodendorfer said:
Yes but the player wont have a shot on the 3 ball because the 8 ball is in the pocket. And to kick at a 3 ball its very hard too get it were you think it will go.

The only way too see it is too shoot it. And By ehooting the 3 ball the way I said the main foucus is getting the cue ball in the correct position .

Or close enough will get it too because were the 9 ball is. IN reality you only have one pocket too make the nineball. Unless you bank it

And if its froze the bank will be harder. I would play someone from that position they kick it. And I shoot my shot. I like my chances.
With the three ball that close to the rail I'm confident that I can kick it to the hook position. If not then your shot would work, providing that the cue ball can be taken to where you say and still position the three ball to where you say, which looks very difficult to do both. If however if I'm shooting at the nine I believe there would be options.

P.S How did we get into playing eight ball?

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Frank Almanza said:
With the three ball that close to the rail I'm confident that I can kick it to the hook position. If not then your shot would work, providing that the cue ball can be taken to where you say and still position the three ball to where you say, which looks very difficult to do both. If however if I'm shooting at the nine I believe there would be options.

If you can execuite the kick shot and hook me then I cannot tell you too shoot my shot. Because if you no you can do it.

THen it is the best shot and the easiest.

But I have too see it done too belive it. Im a little skeptical. And every table is different.

And every kick is a little different too. But if you can do it. And it works for you. Then that if the shot too shoot.

And If you cant do it then it mite be good tpoo change.

If you shot the shot 10 times howe many times would you hook me?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Frank Almanza said:
<snip>

I will play 8-Ball; I won't play 9-Ball. At least with 8-ball you get to choose what ball to shoot. You also get to use a lot of little ticky caroms, banks and odd combos like you would at One Pocket (at least the way I play). I don't mind the game. It's certainly not my first choice at all, but I have fun with it.

Mostly locally here in the private clubs they play a unique variation on golf -- all their own -- called Around the World. You use all 15 balls with the 1-ball racked in the center. You can shoot any ball any pocket for position, but the only ball that counts is the 1-ball, which you have to make in each of the six pockets in order. They re-spot it on the foot spot, so it can be a fast moving game. They also go the wrong way around the table compared to real golf apparently.

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
They were on a barbox - I like your shot on a large table...They played ball-in hand 8-ball...So there is merit to a safety, especially one this simple...
Artie Bodendorfer said:

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
I agree- If he kicks hard, he can shit the 8 in - if he kicks soft, he can hit the ball and no rail afterward - I felt this particular shot put the opponent in the worst position possible. And there is no pocket for him to kick it into. He knows, while kicking, the game is over.
Frank Almanza said:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
NH Steve said:
I will play 8-Ball; I won't play 9-Ball. At least with 8-ball you get to choose what ball to shoot. You also get to use a lot of little ticky caroms, banks and odd combos like you would at One Pocket (at least the way I play). I don't mind the game. It's certainly not my first choice at all, but I have fun with it.

Mostly locally here in the private clubs they play a unique variation on golf -- all their own -- called Around the World. You use all 15 balls with the 1-ball racked in the center. You can shoot any ball any pocket for position, but the only ball that counts is the 1-ball, which you have to make in each of the six pockets in order. They re-spot it on the foot spot, so it can be a fast moving game. They also go the wrong way around the table compared to real golf apparently.

Im like one off the 3 stooges I follow the leeder.Im Mo.Eight ball teaches you how too find your way home.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
NH Steve said:

My game of choice has always been eight ball. I believe that my understanding and knowledge of it can compare to the knowledge that some of the best have in one pocket.

When I read certain post it's easy too see when that person really knows what they are talking about. People like Artie, Billy I., Ghost, and others. Billy S. is also very knowledgeable but a bit too aggressive for me but it seems to work for him.

I've always played some one pocket but only sparingly until about a year ago when I started to play it on a regular basis. A good bit of eight ball and straight pool strategy is used in one pocket. But at the same time they are also quite different.

Skin

Verified Member
My shot here is to 4-rail the 5 out into the middle of the table and bring the cb 2-3 rails back behind the 9 on the same rail as the 9. It looks like that will work in the layout. From there he has no hole and the only thing he can sanely do is play off the 9 up onto the head rail. At any rate, it is going to be very hard for him to find a place to put the cb where I won't have a shot at the 5 to win. And if he decides to try to bank the 9 somewhere, I will gladly chalk his stick for him. :)

Skin

Last edited:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Frank Almanza said:
My game of choice has always been eight ball. I believe that my understanding and knowledge of it can compare to the knowledge that some of the best have in one pocket.

When I read certain post it's easy too see when that person really knows what they are talking about. People like Artie, Billy I., Ghost, and others. Billy S. is also very knowledgeable but a bit too aggressive for me but it seems to work for him.

I've always played some one pocket but only sparingly until about a year ago when I started to play it on a regular basis. A good bit of eight ball and straight pool strategy is used in one pocket. But at the same time they are also quite different.

Yes Everygame has a different way off plaing it and every game we play is different. So you have to no what tou are doing in all games.

Because what you did in one game might not be good too do in another game..

But If you learn too think you can learn all games. And having ability in the game you are learning is very important.

If you see or what too no If you have ability ask someone who knowes. Or a good player.

If you dont have ability In a certain game play a different game.

Or a game that takes more thinking then ability.

Skin

Verified Member
Frank and Artie, 8b is a great game. It is very difficult to win against a good opponent. You have to make good decisions, sometimes even better ones than at 1p because you have to defend against six pockets.

You don't have to be great at any skill to play well, but you must have excellent judgement at all times. There is a lot more thinking, strategy, and measuring risk/reward than it looks like if you just watch bar bangers play. I absolutely love the game. It is the only game I can say that after all the years of playing I came out way ahead.

Plus...it is the only game that I ever got laid after playing. :cool: ;) :D

Skin

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Skin said:
Frank and Artie, 8b is a great game. It is very difficult to win against a good opponent. You have to make good decisions, sometimes even better ones than at 1p because you have to defend against six pockets.

You don't have to be great at any skill to play well, but you must have excellent judgement at all times. There is a lot more thinking, strategy, and measuring risk/reward than it looks like if you just watch bar bangers play. I absolutely love the game. It is the only game I can say that after all the years of playing I came out way ahead.

Plus...it is the only game that I ever got laid after playing. :cool: ;) :D

Skin

Your wright in eight ball one wrong shot you loose the game. But I wouldnt play with the rules the have I would change a bunch before we play.

And the new rules thook all the skill out off the game. You could even manover too win.

Now you can win without knoweing anything. Eight ball was better for me than one pocket.

And my win percentage was beyyer than in one pocket. Playing 8 ball if you dont no how too play you cant win.

Thier are key factores in eight ball. And the dules they have made are not for the person who knowes how to play eight ball.

Especialy on a bar table. Its very important too no what you are doing or you tie yourself up.

You might git lucky for a short time but if you keep playing the mistakes will take over.

Eight ball one mistake can cost you the whole game.

Thier is a lot too learn. Canala was the only player that ever won playing eight ball.

That might have been my best game. And I worket hard in figureing out how too win.

I would play by my self for houers learning too play the game. I never played a sociable game back then.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I believe that Artie played 8 ball as good as anyone. If the truth was known he played better 8 ball than one pocket. I remember many years ago after Artie was in his prime he played Morro Paez 8 ball, Morro was a champion 8 ball player back then and Artie was a sports better. After the match Morro turned into a sports better and Arie stayed a sports better and a champion 8 ball player.;)

Dr.Bill

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
wincardona said:
I believe that Artie played 8 ball as good as anyone. If the truth was known he played better 8 ball than one pocket. I remember many years ago after Artie was in his prime he played Morro Paez 8 ball, Morro was a champion 8 ball player back then and Artie was a sports better. After the match Morro turned into a sports better and Arie stayed a sports better and a champion 8 ball player.;)

Dr.Bill

Thanks Billy. I reay loved eight ball but not too may people realy played it on a four and a half by nine.

It was mostly bar action. And thier was a lot off barr action at eight ball.

And the moves mean soo much in eight ball. Espicaly on a bar table. I beat some real good straight pool players playing eight ball.

They thought because they could run hundreds in straight pool. That they could play eight ball.

In eight ball one wron shot or angle. And you cant get out. Were is straight pool and one pocket you can chang to a different shot and still get out.

I was a PJ thats the bar Freddy Gorge Michales Tommy Spencer and all those people use too go too.

I went thier a few times not much. I liket going too bars were thier was money. And not 10 players. And knockers around.

I was thier and Matlock came in. He asket me too play nine ball. I said sure we each play one handed.

I new he wouldnt play that game. But playing Nine ball. I wouldnt have taken the 6 ball.

If I played someone like that nine ball. I would play him a race too 7 and I would ask for 3 games going too seven. And play even.

Getting the 6 ball the spot might not show up once in 7 games. All Matlock will do is keep running out tell I get dizze watching him. Fun out.

I told him I would play him eight ball a rave to 7 or 5 games ahead.

But he wouldnt play. And he was the best barr room nine ball player at that time.

Im going by what they said about Matlock. I dont no if he was or not.

I no he sure played great nineball on a bar table. And he played 3 coushion billiards too.

But he wouldnt have liket that game either. But I no he would have been hard too beat. Playing eight ball.

But on a real hard four and a half by nine too play the game correcty. You have too no when to shoot too run out.

Or you have too weight but must people all just shoot and figure the can run out.

Thier is a correct way too plat 8 ball. And I learned that and tought myself.

And Even Fredy Would come too were I was playing a freeze out and show up with one or two girls. And he would watch a few games and leave.

One time I was playing at Monets Barr and Freddy came in and after a few games he left.

I dont no who the player was he was Mexican from texas. And Fredy might have knowen him. I donr no.

Players favorite line too Fredy Would be. They would ask Feddy not to knock them too me and Freddy. Would say Ok.

The truth is they didnt no that Freddy wanted to bet on me. But I dont no Why the would ask him not too knock them.

What did they think I wouldnt play. But none off them liket it. And even when Freddy would bet on me. He realy was pulling for me too loose.

I should have dumpet him but I never did. Its hard too dump when you win.

But I loved eight ball. I realy had the edge because I new how too realy play the game and they didnt.

But the rules today with cue ball in hand takes too much away from the game.

And If you make two solids on the breack you can take stripes. And some even have it you scratch on the eight ball you dont loose.

And if you make the 8 ball on the breack you dont win.

I dont even no what the rule is If you make the eight ball on the breack and scratch do you loose.

I use too watch all those good shooters play nine ball. And Billy was Great I dont no how else I can say it.

THat was Bills best game. And I allwats wondered how good could I have played if I shot like those players.

I guess you need a loose stroke and thats what all those great nineball players. Have and ridum.

And they love too shoot. And Even straight pool is rithum game. And playing one pocket and eight ball its different.

And players can fall out off stroke playing one pocket and eight ball. Especialty in one pocket waithing for a shot.

And that can effecte a player.