Some things I've seen

John Brumback

Verified Member
While I was reading through all this again I got to thinking about alot of the moves and crap I've had pulled on me.I'm going to tell all the ones I can think of right now and I might add to it as I remember somemore.( there will be more,I'm sure)I don't think I'm going to name names as of yet.Might give a hint though.

9ball bar table tourny,few thou on the line.It's down into the $ rounds and I draw the best player in the country at the time.Race to 9,he's got me like 6 to 2,I come back and it's like 7 to 7 and I weld him to the back of a ball.He's got to kick like 3 rails to even have a chance at hitting the ball.Well there's this cluster of balls over on a rail,( he's doggin his brains out and pisssed right now cause I'm coming back) Well he shoots and doesn't even come close to hitting the ball and the cballs flys around hard right at this cluster that might keep me from running out,(it's coming DEAD at the cluster with enough speed to bust em wide open.Guess what he did.He snatched the cball up in the middle of the table and threw it at me.( I should have fired it back at his head)I went screaming to the tourny director and told him what just happened and he came over to the table and the creep I was playing just said, awe it wasn't go to hit them balls.Well,since he was the big 9ball king they let him have it.It cost me the set.Instead of having a road map runout and me bing so pissed off that the prick got away with that,I let the creep win the match. This guy here is as skinny as a one iron and tall with black hair.Hails From the south.

Here's a good one too.A few years ago at the DCC,I'm out pretty far in the banks,playin good.I'll just tell you who this was right now.Luat.I've never had problems with any other pinos.Well we get to playin our match and I noticed he wouldn't set down.He just kept leaning on his cue like he was getting ready to start a foot race and close to the table,I might add,like I was making him wait so HE could shoot.I let it go for as long as I could which would be way to long.About the second or third game,I told him It's my turn to shoot, set down in your chair please,your making me nervous.That's what I told him.Would you belive he still wouldn't and didn't.I said look,we have rules over here that you must be in your chair when the opp is at the table.He said I don't care about them rules or something like that.I started to go get Ken but I didn't want to look like an ass,(that sounds kinda stupid))He never did touch his seat. Guess what,It's 2 to 2 his break,he runs out.I couldn't make a ball it sharked me so much.Well I got him back a couple years later with the ole double dip in the finals.That felt extra good.
Got somemore good ones.Happy trails to you:lol John B.

Last edited:

John Brumback

Verified Member
The match

The match

For the record,I used to be a top 9ball player now I suck and don't like the game at all.

I'm in a huge pro 9ball event,don't remember which one.I'm playing capten hook in this one.It's a race to 11 and the score is 9 to 9 and I'm shooting the 7ball,it's a little easier than a spot shot,just as go to pull the trigger he strikes a match real hard and I shoot it into the rail.I'm mad and can't believe
that this champion would do such a thing and I dog it off to him.I had him dogging it and I would have won the set If he hadn't sharked me out of it.Never have cared much for that guy since.

Playin in a real nice tourny down at Jimmy Hodges pool room in SC.I got a match with this player that I had become buddys with.Helping him and his trick shots and putting the balls up there for him so he could spin the balls with his fingers around balls.He's the best there ever was at that stuff.Think he's a church goin fellow too.Nice big tall man.Well we get to playing our match and every time I get down on a shot I hear this loud sucking noise.I only hear it when I'm down on my shot.It's driving me crazy but I'm still winning the match pertty easy.Finally I couldn't take it anymore and I turned around and asked him nicely If he would please quit making that sucking noise while I'm shooting ( I kinda just laughed it off when I said it).He said he didn't know he was doing it and that it must be a habit.I just said I've played you a few times and you didn't do it then.He just looked down and I went ahead and shot him in.He is alot better at trick shots than playin 9ball.It was nothin but an ole school shark tactic.Never messed with him again either after that.Stayed way away from him.

At the DCC a few years ago in the 9ball and (I was in the running for the master of the table) (big $) I'm playing this player that everyone thinks Is the nicest guy you could meet.He would never ever do anything unsportsman like,blah blah blah,well we are using the sardo rack.Race to 7 he's got me 6 to 1,I finally get a turn and run a 5 racks in a row,he doesn't come to the table for 5 racks.I've found my break spot and I'm making the wing ball straight in the corner,5 racks in a row.I'm breaking perfect and squatting the cball dead in the middle with 3/4 speed.(This was deep into the 9ball)Ok so it's 6 to 6 my break.I hit them perfect with the same exact speed I hit the other breaks with and the wing ball hits 6inches above the corner pocket this time and I squat the cball perfect in the middle of the table and nothing falls.Leaves him a Ray Charles,connect the dot roadmap.Come to find out this player had been doing it to maore than just me.When using the sardo rack they had dots on the cloth that you were supposed to line the rack up with.Well what he did to me and some others was he put the rack way above the spots.That's why all of the sudden my wing ball hit so far up the rail.I knew for sure I hit them just like all the others in that match.I liked the sardo rack at that time because I thought finally I don't have to check these thiefs racks.Wrong again.

There's alot that the crowd never ever has a clue about whats going on out there on that pool table.That's one of the main reasons I quit that ole pro tour about 15 or 20 years ago.I knew I was out gunned cause I don't cheat lie or steal.Never was a good hustler either.I got more for later.Untill we meet again.:p John B.

Big Jim

Verified Member
From
Southern, Indiana
very good John..........

very good John..........

In Truman's race to 23, in the finals match my opponent is standing at the end of the table in my line of sight switching his cue from his left hand to his right hand, flopping it back and forth. I didn't say anything, i was numb i was so tired, but i knew he was attempting to shark me. Another time while i was down on a cross side bank, he began swinging his leg back and forth real fast as if he was getting a cramp, i called him on this one, and said are you trying to shark me or what? I don't muck with anyone, and don't expect them to muck with me either. Two other opponents would throw a fit, scream and holler when they missed, leaving me a duck cross side, another form of sharking...They even threw their cues onto the next table.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
While I was reading through all this again I got to thinking about alot of the moves and crap I've had pulled on me.

John B.

As long as you're going to cry like you stuck yourself with a barbed hook I'll tell you a story about a guy here. His name was Frederick Hess but he was known as "Fast Freddy". He was playing in a 9-Ball tourney one day and this layout came up. Just before he got down to shoot the 7 ball he noticed his opponent had turned around for a second. Freddy shot the 7 ball in and knocked the 8 ball in the side with his hand and played perfect shapes on the 9 ball. He was down shooting the 9 when his oppo turned around and went crazy, knowing that Freddy could not have made the 8 anywhere. I don't remember the resolution of the conflict but it took awhile.

Fast Freddy.jpg

If you keep posting here long enough I'll tell the story of how Miami stole a ball from me and I waited 15-20 years to get it back:p.

Dennis

John Brumback

Verified Member
As long as you're going to cry like you stuck yourself with a barbed hook I'll tell you a story about a guy here. His name was Frederick Hess but he was known as "Fast Freddy". He was playing in a 9-Ball tourney one day and this layout came up. Just before he got down to shoot the 7 ball he noticed his opponent had turned around for a second. Freddy shot the 7 ball in and knocked the 8 ball in the side with his hand and played perfect shapes on the 9 ball. He was down shooting the 9 when his oppo turned around and went crazy, knowing that Freddy could not have made the 8 anywhere. I don't remember the resolution of the conflict but it took awhile.

View attachment 6041

If you keep posting here long enough I'll tell the story of how Miami stole a ball from me and I waited 15-20 years to get it back:p.

Dennis

LOL,that Frederick name threw me off.But Fast Freddy.. now that name rings a bell!! Would you believe that's who I went on my first road trip with:eek: He took me straight to The Rack:eek: Up there where your from,dummy.Lucky for me no one in there would play 9ball.I finally beat some guy out of 60$ and the house man took 20 of it.I was in shock untill they told me that's how they do it.Freddy lost everything we had.They plucked him like a chickin.We was there for a few days.I'll never forget it either.They were smoking pot right there in the poolroom.I can still remember the sound of that door buzzer when they would let you in. I still see Freddy every now and then at the dcc.Steve Gumphrey,Lori Shampo,Bobby Hunter are some of the ones that came in while I was there.I just sat over on some church like benches,on the right and stayed quiet.I thought he said we were going to win thousands and we just got broke and had to go back and hustle them ole bars again:mad::lol

And just how long do we have to wait.. pftt,the last catfish hook I had to get cut out cost me 400:frus Big thick circle hook down deep past the barb,and I had to load my pontoon by myself and drive about 20m. with that hook buried deep in my thumb.Get this,At the local band aid station here in town,they had to go down the road and borrow some cutters that were way bigger than anything they had,so they could push it through and then cut it off and back it out.Stuff like that will make a man out of ya,I'm tellin ya.Don't laugh, breath that would knock a buzzard off a gut wagon breath:) John B.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
LOL,that Frederick name threw me off.But Fast Freddy.. now that name rings a bell!! Would you believe that's who I went on my first road trip with:eek: He took me straight to The Rack:eek: Up there where your from,dummy.Lucky for me no one in there would play 9ball.I finally beat some guy out of 60$ and the house man took 20 of it.I was in shock untill they told me that's how they do it.Freddy lost everything we had.They plucked him like a chickin.We was there for a few days.I'll never forget it either.They were smoking pot right there in the poolroom.I can still remember the sound of that door buzzer when they would let you in. I still see Freddy every now and then at the dcc.Steve Gumphrey,Lori Shampo,Bobby Hunter are some of the ones that came in while I was there.I just sat over on some church like benches,on the right and stayed quiet.I thought he said we were going to win thousands and we just got broke and had to go back and hustle them ole bars again:mad::lol

And just how long do we have to wait.. pftt,the last catfish hook I had to get cut out cost me 400:frus Big thick circle hook down deep past the barb,and I had to load my pontoon by myself and drive about 20m. with that hook buried deep in my thumb.Get this,At the local band aid station here in town,they had to go down the road and borrow some cutters that were way bigger than anything they had,so they could push it through and then cut it off and back it out.Stuff like that will make a man out of ya,I'm tellin ya.Don't laugh, breath that would knock a buzzard off a gut wagon breath:) John B.

Dear Catfish Breath,

Freddy was a piece of work wasn't he? He had so many unique ways of acquiring money it was a wonder he never had any. I wrote this about him one day, it's one of his few wins:p.

http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2911

Regarding the Miami story; it's long and I'll have to feel like it to do it.

Dennis

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I like the naming of names, why not :)

I was playing morro in a not so big tournament, he had to give the field a game going to 5 and I always liked it and had a good record on him. Finally, one week he pulled ahead of me and I won a game, and I was breaking good and won a couple in a row. It was rack your own, and at the end I when i was racking I was on the hill and he needed 2, and he put up a huge stink for literally 20 minutes (like really) about me breaking and making the corner ball and putting the 2 ball with the one and all this stuff. The TD (hemma) told him there is no rule against that, but morro kept whining, next thing I knew they weren't letting me rack my own in my match in a rack your own tournament. lol. They had changed their initial ruling because he kept whining (and because he's morro i guess). I sat in my chair and never said a word, that is my "thing"... I don't like to get verbal too much during a match (mistake??). It really got to me and I dogged it and lost and was so upset at myself for letting that guy get in my head. I realized when I was driving home I really should have asked for my money back for not letting me rack my own, but I was just too mad at myself to even think. I always felt it was more my mistake than his (my thing is I assume guys are going to move on me, so I need to be ready of course).

For the record I think morro is a super good guy, I just feel he thinks giving yourself a good rack is cheating somehow... so him and I disagree there.

Last edited:

John Brumback

Verified Member

View attachment 6041

Dennis

Hey who told you about that? Fred or the guy he was playing? I wouldn't be supprised If fred told you after it happened.He was so funny and such a good con that you had to just laugh at him.I laugh at him every time I see him.

First time I ran into him,he trapped me into giving him the 7ball but just so happened It was on some 4+8s that I would bet I break and runout on everytime.He didn't like it and I busted him:lol That's when he took me on the road.I was about 17 or 18 I think.He had just come off of the road doing trickshots with that Jerry guy from canada.I got that Jerry guy too a few weeks later.Fred might have sicked him on me:eek:.Fun times back then:p
Catfish breath brumback

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Hey who told you about that? Fred or the guy he was playing? I wouldn't be supprised If fred told you after it happened.He was so funny and such a good con that you had to just laugh at him.I laugh at him every time I see him.

First time I ran into him,he trapped me into giving him the 7ball but just so happened It was on some 4+8s that I would bet I break and runout on everytime.He didn't like it and I busted him:lol That's when he took me on the road.I was about 17 or 18 I think.He had just come off of the road doing trickshots with that Jerry guy from canada.I got that Jerry guy too a few weeks later.Fred might have sicked him on me:eek:.Fun times back then:p
Catfish breath brumback

Really enjoyed the writings. Didn't really know you were such a great story teller. The anecdote about the guy who grabbed up the cue ball made ME mad thinking about it. That's when a guy would be in danger with me. He could really get the butt end across his head as hard as I could swing, and that's really hard...

John Brumback

Verified Member
Really enjoyed the writings. Didn't really know you were such a great story teller. The anecdote about the guy who grabbed up the cue ball made ME mad thinking about it. That's when a guy would be in danger with me. He could really get the butt end across his head as hard as I could swing, and that's really hard...

Thanks but I'm not. I almost went back to edit that to say that it was about to get ugly.I really wish he would have done that move around here on my home turff.It wouldn't have turned out so good for him.;) I can swing it pretty good myself.

I wish I could write better but I was in the poolroom instead of school:(.I can read good though! Peace out dude.John B.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

Catfish breath brumback

John it's been so long that I don't even remember if I saw it live or a friend told me but Freddy didn't tell me, that I do know.

Here's a quick story about something Freddy did one night at the Cozy Cue poolroom here.

A guy named Mike Friese and someone else were playing a set of 9-ball for $100 I think (not sure about the bet now). In that poolroom the bathrooms were next to each other and all they had was one receptacle in them. Many times the men used the womens room if the mens was occupado.

10 or 15 of us were sitting there watching the match when, in the middle of a game, Mike decided to lay his cue on the table and use the bathroom. His opponent decided to use the girls bathroom at the same time.

Now, by pure coincidence, Freddy walks into the room and down to the table they were playing at. Well, before anybody knew what was happening Freddy picks up Mike's cue and starts banging balls around on the table they're gambling on in the middle of their game!

We all started screaming bloody murder and yelling to Freddy that there was a game in progress on that table and that both players were in the bathrooms. He knew we weren't joking and he scrambled to put balls back where he thought they were and lay the cue back down. He got the hell away from the table in a hurry.

The guys came out of the bathrooms, Mike picked up his cue and resumed the game, never knowing anything:D. Balls had been moved all over the place and neither player noticed anything.

Dennis

John Brumback

Verified Member
Great stories John. You'll have to tell some more of your 'adventures' next time we have dinner.

Pel

Sounds good Pal.That is right..It Is my turn to buy:eek::lol See ya down thar.
PS: Pel,That sure was a great time and supper we had. Glad I got to do that with you Grady and your wife.John B.

backplaying

Verified Member
Thanks but I'm not. I almost went back to edit that to say that it was about to get ugly.I really wish he would have done that move around here on my home turff.It wouldn't have turned out so good for him.;) I can swing it pretty good myself.

I wish I could write better but I was in the poolroom instead of school:(.I can read good though! Peace out dude.John B.

Yep, me to. Got mine at Rack&Cue Billiards of higher learning! You would remember me John if you seen me. I was a old road buddy of Earl Kellums. Use to see you at some of Floyd Baxters tournaments. I quit around 1990 and didn't play again until 2007. I played the barboxes, and mostly hustled until I started running with Earl. Being a rough hustler for many years, a few of my stories would be a little more than getting sharked I think. I had a machine gun pulled on me once in Chattanooga from the stakehorse of a guy I was playing. He owned the bar we was playing at also. He had flown in a road player from up north, I think, anyway, I wasn't suppose to win but never missed a ball. I'm about 4,000 up and he pitched a fit saying you have to give him the 8. Well, I knew I was in a tough game anyway and said no way. He then pulled out this machine gun from under the counter and said what about now? Well, it seemed like a fair game now. Keep in mine, the doors are locked and its about 3am when he pulls this. Well, it also scared the guy I was playing to death and now he is really dogging it. It was now getting daylight and someone starts knocking on the door. Its a cop looking for a lady in a red dress. Me and my road buddy looked like we were stuck to each side of the cop while we walked out with him. He had the nerve to follow us out and tell me I'm the luckiest sob he's ever seen. Later on I found out this guy had robbed many players and finally robbed the wrong one. Things like this will make you shark proof for awile! I did only loose back a dime though!:)

sidepocketkid

Verified Member
This guy here is as skinny as a one iron and tall with black hair.Hails From the south.

you aint talking about the skorpion.

Pelican

Verified Member
From
Magnolia Springs, AL
Sounds good Pal.That is right..It Is my turn to buy:eek::lol See ya down thar.
PS: Pel,That sure was a great time and supper we had. Glad I got to do that with you Grady and your wife.John B.

I am just glad I was able to let Grady have one more Derby. We all enjoyed your and Brett's company.
By the way, I know from my conversations with Grady in his final weeks that he really thought a lot of you.

Hope to be able to see ya in Tunica,

Pel

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
John I've got a good one for ya, during one event in KS and a couple yrs later at the BCA Nationals in KC was the second event.

KS, playing a bar tourney 9 ball event winners side late into event and I'm playing Jerimiah Johnson can't remember the exact score but I'm gonna run out, it's late in the match and I'm ahead, little did I know the Big Bullfrog who was watching over the match called a foul on me when there was no foul and I lost by a game or two, otherwise I would of been up three games and breaking for the win, it was 5 K added event at a honky tonk country western bar, where I also ran into CJ and Lutman as they were traveling together, what a pair. Anywho couldn't beat CJ and played Gary L and lost a couple hundred but the way he treated me during the match was atrocious. A few yrs later I ran into him at the BCA Nationals in KC and I was playing good and got easily into action @ $50 a rattle. Had em stuck $500 and he wanted to dbl up, now the way he treated me our last encounter I said to myself ''I ain't gonna give this guy any air and said NO, he couldn't quit, I emptied em out, best of all, he broke his cuestick and got into a big argument with his girl friend, it was sweet justice, walking away hearing those two argue.:lol
Don't know if you remember me, the only time we ever played was match play in Ohio, I think 1990 Archer won, Eugene Browing, Buddy Hall and Bam Bam were also there, CALCUTTA/never saw a player lot have so many, I think they had 80 players that had Zero bid, never saw that before, I beat eugene & buddy and lost to you and Wade. I'll always remember your break shot back then, you hit em perfectly square, whitey went vertical and back down bump/bump, never saw anyone break that consistently square with identical reasults every rack for an entire match. Eugene had me 8-4 going to 9, I ran the set out, was a tough event on the top end.

John Brumback

Verified Member
John I've got a good one for ya, during one event in KS and a couple yrs later at the BCA Nationals in KC was the second event.

KS, playing a bar tourney 9 ball event winners side late into event and I'm playing Jerimiah Johnson can't remember the exact score but I'm gonna run out, it's late in the match and I'm ahead, little did I know the Big Bullfrog who was watching over the match called a foul on me when there was no foul and I lost by a game or two, otherwise I would of been up three games and breaking for the win, it was 5 K added event at a honky tonk country western bar, where I also ran into CJ and Lutman as they were traveling together, what a pair. Anywho couldn't beat CJ and played Gary L and lost a couple hundred but the way he treated me during the match was atrocious. A few yrs later I ran into him at the BCA Nationals in KC and I was playing good and got easily into action @ $50 a rattle. Had em stuck $500 and he wanted to dbl up, now the way he treated me our last encounter I said to myself ''I ain't gonna give this guy any air and said NO, he couldn't quit, I emptied em out, best of all, he broke his cuestick and got into a big argument with his girl friend, it was sweet justice, walking away hearing those two argue.:lol
Don't know if you remember me, the only time we ever played was match play in Ohio, I think 1990 Archer won, Eugene Browing, Buddy Hall and Bam Bam were also there, CALCUTTA/never saw a player lot have so many, I think they had 80 players that had Zero bid, never saw that before, I beat eugene & buddy and lost to you and Wade. I'll always remember your break shot back then, you hit em perfectly square, whitey went vertical and back down bump/bump, never saw anyone break that consistently square with identical reasults every rack for an entire match. Eugene had me 8-4 going to 9, I ran the set out, was a tough event on the top end.

I'm pretty sure I remember you.Tall man,kinda slim,maybe 6ft 1,If I member correctly you was a little older than me.Goes by the name of Bill M.? If that's you,I remember you were a pretty quite guy that was nice to play with.Not all the BS. Well,is that you?;)

Good story.I've battled Gary S. a few times,I also locked horns with CJ the first time he came around these parts.I gave Gary a lesson on how to play full racks banks on a bar table,9 to 7. He didn't much like it either:lol

Thanks about my break I use to have:p I was known for my break back then but when I was not hitting them perfectly I would jump the table every now and then and it cost me some matches so I got smart (or dumb) and started to take some speed off and lost that big booming break I had.Don't know if it helped or hurt really.John B.

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
Bankshot Champion

Bankshot Champion

John Brumback,I saw you win at DCC the Bank Championship and you had the heart of a true champion, after reading some of your true stories I've become your biggest fan.I know you are a class act so remember all those low lifes who shark you will never be remembered like you. A world class Bank Champion who shoots straight from the hip not a low life who would do anything to win. Winning is not everthing but Class is.

John Brumback

Verified Member
John Brumback,I saw you win at DCC the Bank Championship and you had the heart of a true champion, after reading some of your true stories I've become your biggest fan.I know you are a class act so remember all those low lifes who shark you will never be remembered like you. A world class Bank Champion who shoots straight from the hip not a low life who would do anything to win. Winning is not everthing but Class is.

Thank you,thank ya very much. John B.