Short

keoneyo

Verified Member
Im 5'7". I never considered myself "short" but I guess in the pantheon of height you could call me that. I never did feel short. I grew up in Hawaii where there were a lot of Japanese, Okinawans, Filipino's, etc etc and I towered over a lot of my classmates.
I never felt "short" until I went to Texas to film a tv movie called the Challengers for ABC about the shuttle disaster. I met some tall tall ladies there in Houston and was amazed. Though they were so hospitable that I didnt think twice about it.

My mom was 5'1" and she was a firebrand. She ran a business office for a construction company and those guys loved and respected her. If you made a crack about her height Im sure if youd be walking under a building youd get a brick sandwich real quick.
Short is something youre born with. Being critical of someone who is born with something or can do nothing about is like razzing someone for their race or gender. Youre dark. Your eyes are too slanty. Your hair is too kinky. Your name ends in a vowel. You only feel less when those around you make you feel less because of it.

Luckily the pool table is a great equalizer. I remember many nights in college around the local bar four footer making fools out of these so called tall boys who thought they were better because they had an extra inch or two. Its they that create the Napoleanic disorder. Poker for me did this as well.

I saw Mosconi once. Who was short. And he happened to play an exhibition with my buddy Jay Helfert who is not a tall guy by any standard. Mosconi I believe was so competitive and antagonistic that you could see the disorder at work. However Jay was just cool and sublime to Mosconi's behavior.
I soon learned that Jay had a great family. I met his mom and she is a wonderful lady. So I think its not really the height but the a holes around you that make you feel less because of it.

Im not taking sides, I dont like superior attitudes as well but thats another post, but I am talking about me.
You might think Im short. But I dont feel that way.

Wayne Im not going to call you Tall Wayne anymore.

Did we ever call RA short?

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Im 5'7". I never considered myself "short" but I guess in the pantheon of height you could call me that. I never did feel short. I grew up in Hawaii where there were a lot of Japanese, Okinawans, Filipino's, etc etc and I towered over a lot of my classmates.
I never felt "short" until I went to Texas to film a tv movie called the Challengers for ABC about the shuttle disaster. I met some tall tall ladies there in Houston and was amazed. Though they were so hospitable that I didnt think twice about it.

My mom was 5'1" and she was a firebrand. She ran a business office for a construction company and those guys loved and respected her. If you made a crack about her height Im sure if youd be walking under a building youd get a brick sandwich real quick.
Short is something youre born with. Being critical of someone who is born with something or can do nothing about is like razzing someone for their race or gender. Youre dark. Your eyes are too slanty. Your hair is too kinky. Your name ends in a vowel. You only feel less when those around you make you feel less because of it.

Luckily the pool table is a great equalizer. I remember many nights in college around the local bar four footer making fools out of these so called tall boys who thought they were better because they had an extra inch or two. Its they that create the Napoleanic disorder. Poker for me did this as well.

I saw Mosconi once. Who was short. And he happened to play an exhibition with my buddy Jay Helfert who is not a tall guy by any standard. Mosconi I believe was so competitive and antagonistic that you could see the disorder at work. However Jay was just cool and sublime to Mosconi's behavior.
I soon learned that Jay had a great family. I met his mom and she is a wonderful lady. So I think its not really the height but the a holes around you that make you feel less because of it.

Im not taking sides, I dont like superior attitudes as well but thats another post, but I am talking about me.

Ronnie was often "short" but was able to bite anyone no matter how tall.
Rod.
P.S. Last time I saw him I'd changed so much he didn't recognize me,
saved that money. :D I knew he was OK he was with Henderson. ;)

Last edited:

lfigueroa

Verified Member
There's nothing wrong or bad about being short. It's only a problem when an individual, usually male, develops a syndrome or complex about it.

I have friends that are short and that also come in all other sizes, shapes, and colors. And they're all pretty regular guys.

However, some individuals over-compensate for their lack of physical stature and then their shortness is an issue. It's a funny thing but besides one individual here, there's another guy who acts out in exactly the same manner on another forum and he has SMS too. And I'm willing to bet that solely on the basis of how he behaves, attempting to bully everyone else on that group, most folks that are familiar with that site know exactly whom I'm thinking of, though they may not have known he was 5' nothing.

Anywho's, generally speaking, being short is like anything else in life -- there's good and there's bad. The good news, if you're short, is that when it rains you're the last one to get wet. The bad news is that if it rains a lot you're the first to drown :)

Lou. Figueroa

Jimmy B

Verified Member

Good post Keone. I'm sure your sensible post will curtail all of the bitter resentful posts and end all of the personal remarks. Yea, right.

About as much chance of that happening as my little four eyed friend here has of hooking up with Jones, there on his left. Snap that photo ... NEXT...
Good try though....