Quick WWYD while we wait...

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
It is the 15, but the 3 won't even hit the 15 since it's froze to the 11. It may barely hit the top side of the 15 after coming off the 11. If the 11 wasn't there I like the combo as well.
I am having problems telling the colors of the balls sorry to everyone about that, and yes the 3 15 probably doesn't go anywhere , I remember knowing that in the first post I made,I forgot it though in the second, the shot was never intended to be offensive just to be able to get closer to the 6 on the bottom rail and take the return banks away in that way and also stick the 11 ball in there for another blocker.
Shooting off the 12 is essentially the same shot except the cueball is going more to the left and has a much higher chance of leaving return banks imo.
I will have my wife check the colors from now on , it must be very confusing when I am saying the wrong ball, my apologies again to everyone.
looks to me the balls are moving something like this...the 15 may not get over that far
the 11 and 9 probably bounce off the foot rail some
i wonder if the cue ball gets to alex side of the 6
billy shot.png

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
looks to me the balls are moving something like this...the 15 may not get over that far
the 11 and 9 probably bounce off the foot rail some
i wonder if the cue ball gets to alex side of the 6
View attachment 442697
I looked at that also, but I think the cueball gets to the 6 no matter how you hit it , unless you somehow whiffed the 3 and the 11 and left him straight in on the 6 then it doesn't matter what you did, you are supposed to go home and have a nice chat with yourself, nothing physical, just some words of wisdom.
As always , the right shot is the one you believe in , because ultimately , unless you are kookoo for coco puffs that will be the one you hit well, most often.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
OK, well like larry said, sometimes Chip likes to shoot, and that is what he did here. He took on that long diagonal shot on the 2-ball (even though the only way to get shape for another ball was a fairly firm hit, because the cut angle was sending the cue ball towards his own side rail) but unfortunately for him he missed it. The 2-ball jawed and spit out knocking the 5-ball away and pretty near leaving the 2-ball where the 5 had been. Alex is a dangerous player, and that SOB in fact ran 12 and out to win this game!!!

WWYD Chip Alex-.jpg
THis is how Chip left it. Alex took a couple of minutes thinking about exactly how he wanted to approach his opportunity, before he shot the 8 in with draw to come back for the 12-ball
WWYD Chip Alex-2.jpg

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Two reasons I question Chip's shot (besides the obvious, that it was a tough long diagonal shot!):

• One being the angle was sending the cue ball the wrong way (to my mind), meaning if he was to shoot it, he had to shoot it firmly to get any position at all for another ball. I don't know if the side pocket scratch would also have been a factor rolling the ball naturally. I know for me, my make percentage suffers with a firm shot, as compared to a simple rolling cinch shot.
  • The second reason I didn't like the shot (besides the obvious score difference), was if you look at what balls went for each player, I see a definite table advantage for Alex. I have highlighted what I see as the balls that readily "go" for each of them, and I count a definite advantage to Alex. I put a dotted line for the 4-ball for Alex because I am not sure how much room there was between the 8-ball and the rail.
So weighing shot choices, you have the score advantage to Chip, but the table advantage a bit to Alex. So Chip definitely did not "play the score" here, and he also did not do something like move a ball or two that favored Alex, so that the balance of table advantage would swing a bit more Chip's way.

WWYD Chip Alex-3.jpg

Reactions: lll

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
How long did chip look at this. I wonder if he was waying the dificulty of not selling out against a player like alex and his chances at the shot. I still think it was the wrong shot but somtimes when you do not see a way to keep your opponent of the shot you tell yourself to shoot.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
He did a sweet job of picking his way through the balls. I am going to highlight the few shots when he paused to really think a bit extra, or walk around the table.

After shooting the 8-ball and drawing back for the 12-ball, he elected to draw back enough on the 12-ball so go directly down for the 9 or 10, without bumping the cluster of three balls that were tied up and did not go to his pocket. But in doing so, he got a really nice break angle for the 9-ball, you can see the results here.

WWYD Chip Alex-4.jpgWWYD Chip Alex-5.jpg

• Love

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
How long did chip look at this. I wonder if he was waying the dificulty of not selling out against a player like alex and his chances at the shot. I still think it was the wrong shot but somtimes when you do not see a way to keep your opponent of the shot you tell yourself to shoot.
Yes he did think about it for a little while (for Chip, anyway, who does not waste time when he shoots!)

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
He took some time thinking about exactly where he wanted to go with the cue ball off the 10-ball, but settled on going up above the balls, sending the cue ball between what must have been the most natural opening to get up outside of the best next playable balls.
WWYD Chip Alex-6.jpgWWYD Chip Alex-7.jpg

• Love

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Alex played the stripe with top left to go across the table and up for the 2-ball. Then he stayed on that side of the balls going down and back up for the 15-ball. He fell on the 15 with just enough angle to nudge loose the 7 from the 5--ball to open up those last two tied up balls. From there he just picket off the open balls until it was racky sacky time!! 12 and out, so what, if you are a talent like Alex !! Yet, I bet the rush of a nice long out run never goes away, even for the best of the best, they must feel good (if I only knew that feeling lol)

WWYD Chip Alex-7-.jpgWWYD Chip Alex-8.jpg

• Love

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I had the same thought process about the shot by Chip as you Steve.
I tend to give great players a lot of leeway when it comes to "conventional" thinking though.
We don't really know how hard he thinks that shot is, he wouldn't be the only person I ever watched spear those in all day long and make you hate the shot , that's for sure, lol.

kanzzo

Verified Member
what match was it? (where can I find it?)
I love to watch Alex play and this sounds like an interesting match :)

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
thanks for the wwyd steve
and especially thanks for showing how alex ran the balls.
alex came to my town and played my house pro 11-7 (he -my house pro needed more!!!)
it was interesting how often alex ran 9/10's/11
but did it in a straight pool way in the way he nibbled at the stack loosening a few balls clearing them only to nibble a few more loose and clear them
very impressive to watch especially up close

unoperro

Verified Member
Correct me if I am wrong but don't most 700+ fargo players shoot that 2?

El Chapo

Verified Member
a lot of times players would much rather have lost the game shooting. That’s what this shot is here I think, next shooter wins the game… and if you stay down and forget the situation it’s not a horrible shot because many other defensive shots you can lose the game with. I just don’t like going here because he’s on the rail.
I kinda liked cutting the 12 into the stack and playing the full billiard on the 8 year. It’s not a very heady shot but good stuff could happen

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Against Alex, it's an ''all in'' shot.
In this situation, was Chips game being staked or was his money on the line?
Even if it was some of both, or 100% staked, I don't see Chip taking that into consideration. Like unoperro said, players that shoot as well as Chip (Fargo 756) can shoot at those shots with a lot more confidence than most of us.
a lot of times players would much rather have lost the game shooting. That’s what this shot is here I think, next shooter wins the game… and if you stay down and forget the situation it’s not a horrible shot because many other defensive shots you can lose the game with. I just don’t like going here because he’s on the rail.
...and given that, he may not have liked the safety options for reasons beyond what I or any of the rest of us noticed.