Port Chester Mickey

baby huey

Verified Member
Re-reading this made me think of Roy the Cook from San Diego. If anyone could play it was him. Drunk or on drugs most of the time, when he was sober it took a top speed and I mean top speed player to handle his nine ball game. The problem with these guys is how desperate they could get in terms of doing business or just out of stroke so long it would take a mountain of YOUR cash to get them back to their game. Not worth your time or money IMO.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Re-reading this made me think of Roy the Cook from San Diego. If anyone could play it was him. Drunk or on drugs most of the time, when he was sober it took a top speed and I mean top speed player to handle his nine ball game. The problem with these guys is how desperate they could get in terms of doing business or just out of stroke so long it would take a mountain of YOUR cash to get them back to their game. Not worth your time or money IMO.

Yes I asked about Roy on this forum and on other boards and don't think I ever got one Fkkking reply...

jay helfert

Verified Member
I knew Roy (he may still be alive down there in San Dego. I don't know). He was a hardcore junkie, but when he was on the juice he could shoot lights out. It took a Swanee or a Keith to reel him in. And even for them it was a struggle. Then he might not play anyone for months at a time. No one wanted any part of him, so he had to resort to being the cook at College Billiards and later at the Billiard Tavern. Actually a pretty nice guy, no one had a bad word to say about him considering his affliction. I never knew him to be a thief.

There was another junkie poolplayer down that way who played every day to pay for his habit. His name was Coyt Chapman. He was a nice looking guy in his 30's with white hair, ala Bobby (Cotton) Leblanc. Coyt was no world beater, but a decent shortstop who stayed in action. Sad to say he OD'd before the age of 40.

Last edited:

baby huey

Verified Member
Fuderneck (Spelling may be off) from Sacramento is another player who could really bring it ala Roy The Cook.

jay helfert

Verified Member
Fuderneck (Spelling may be off) from Sacramento is another player who could really bring it ala Roy The Cook.
Roy Futternick! That little guy could really play. He got right down on the table and shot everything in. He spent many years dealing (Craps, Blackjack and Roulette) up in Reno and may still be there. Great guy and a very smart man! He knew all the odds. A great handicapper.

Walter fisher

I was contacted by someone who was a friend of Sailor Barge in the last few hours and he said that Sailor did NOT use drugs nor did he smoke or drink, so that kinda settles that, at least in my mind. I won't give out his name but it was not Danny D...
Hi Jim .isent you a message about 2 months ago sailor was a friend of mine in the mid sixty’s let me know if you want to know anything about him mm brother has his aiming card everyone was looking for

JimmyD

Hi Jim .isent you a message about 2 months ago sailor was a friend of mine in the mid sixty’s let me know if you want to know anything about him mm brother has his aiming card everyone was looking for
Hello and thanks for posting. I don’t remember getting anything from you. Yes I’d like to know how Sailor and PC Mickey got together. Did Sailor teach Mickey the game? Any info or stories about either of them would be appreciated
Jimmy D

Walter fisher

Hello and thanks for posting. I don’t remember getting anything from you. Yes I’d like to know how Sailor and PC Mickey got together. Did Sailor teach Mickey the game? Any info or stories about either of them would be appreciated
Jimmy D
My father use to take bill around in the 40s and 50s me and my brothether would take him hustling in the 60 and 70s .I use to watch almost everyday he would throw the balls on the table and run 200-250 1st shot and put his cue away this went on for years he had broken his and he was 70 at the time I never saw him miss. .I don’t know much about Mickey bill never talked about him

JimmyD

Very interesting. What is your brother doing with the aiming cards? He could put some on the internet to see what kind of interest there is. I heard that Bill invented them and taught the system to my friend Mickey. I didn’t know they even existed until I bought Freddy B’s book. Don’t even know how they work
Mickey hung out in Port Chester, his and my home town. Is that where Bill lived? Did Bill ever play in Port Chester. I can’t figure out where or how they meet

Walter fisher

Very interesting. What is your brother doing with the aiming cards? He could put some on the internet to see what kind of interest there is. I heard that Bill invented them and taught the system to my friend Mickey. I didn’t know they even existed until I bought Freddy B’s book. Don’t even know how they work
Mickey hung out in Port Chester, his and my home town. Is that where Bill lived? Did Bill ever play in Port Chester. I can’t figure out where or how they meet
Pretty sure bill came from there his sister lived in west Chester they met before bill came to staten island around 64 or 65 the picture in Freddie’s book was taken in 1964 whenhewas69 when he got his first soctal security card I can send you a picture of the card I have it on my iPad I’ll have to let my grandson do it .its useless unless you know bills system

Reactions: lll

Jimmy B

Verified Member

Yes, of course I remember your DM's.. . I think you were heading to Myrtle Beach last time we talked... Great to see you posting. I know many of us would be interested in anything you have on Sailor Bill or his fascinating system.

Reactions: lll

JimmyD

Pretty sure bill came from there his sister lived in west Chester they met before bill came to staten island around 64 or 65 the picture in Freddie’s book was taken in 1964 whenhewas69 when he got his first soctal security card I can send you a picture of the card I have it on my iPad I’ll have to let my grandson do it .its useless unless you know bills system
I have a friend who still lives in PC who I’m going to ask to do some digging and find out if Bill graduated from PC schools. As far as the card I think it’s a part of history of Port Chester Mickey and the ancient game of pool and of William Sailor Barge who is quite the historic legend himself. Post it if you would be so kind. I’m sure this thread would be the most viewed if you do Thanks Walt for being so helpful. By the way do you know how Bill got his nickname?

Billy Jackets

Verified Member

I hope you don't mind me asking, but is it a ball pocketing system, or a 3 cushion rail number system?

Jimmy B

Verified Member
The above looks like Roy but perhaps circa 1980

I think you're right... Here's another one of Roy 'The Cook' I came across -85 after he got a few more miles on him. FatBoy knows him well, but he doesn't come in here much anymore I don't think.... The fellow wi glasses be Frank Naska?

2024-03-24 14_16_39-Window.png

chief1

I think you're right... Here's another one of Roy 'The Cook' I came across -85 after he got a few more miles on him. FatBoy knows him well, but he doesn't come in here much anymore I don't think.... The fellow wi glasses be Frank Naska?

View attachment 442849
I am pretty sure that is not Roy "the cook" Stanzionne. He passed away about 10 plus years ago, was living in a van down the street from College Billiards. Great pool player and really nice person.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I am pretty sure that is not Roy "the cook" Stanzionne. He passed away about 10 plus years ago, was living in a van down the street from College Billiards. Great pool player and really nice person.

Yes, I've read about Stanzioni from San Diego. A friend of Jay Swanson.. Did you also know Billy Graves too?

chief1

Yes, I've read about Stanzioni from San Diego. A friend of Jay Swanson.. Did you also know Billy Graves too?
I also knew Billy, he passed about 20 plus years ago. From what I saw, Roy was better all-around player.