One Pocket in New York City and thereabouts: does it exist?

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
If so, where can it be found?

If not, now that Steinway is gone, where do the better 14.1 and 9 ball players gather?

I know about Amsterdam but have never seen a soul, not even me, play one pocket in there.

Roy Steffensen

Verified Member
I was in New York in October. Got to play one pocket at Amsterdam Billiards with the housepro there, and there was another table near us playing one pocket too

Reactions: lll

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I was in New York in October. Got to play one pocket at Amsterdam Billiards with the housepro there, and there was another table near us playing one pocket too
Two tables at the same time. WOW, in the 10 times I've been to Amsterdam I got action once. 1P is pretty rare in NYC. Once at Starlight, Jenifer called in a ringer to play me. The most 1P is played at SandCastle in Edison, NJ.

Reactions: lll

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
they play pretty sporty 1p at sandcastle in nearby edison, new jersey.....

sandra stevens (fanatic) played out of that room last i knew.

Cory in dc

Verified Member

I've had good luck just asking the counter guy if anyone plays 1P, but not on a Friday or Saturday night. Not a ton of 1P players, but I've played 1P at Amsterdam a half dozen times over the years..

Sam1914

Well-Known-Member
When Rob Pole and Sam Wu owned Skyline in Brooklyn they played everyone . Jorge Rodríguez played one pocket better than people think also . Rob and Sammy sold the place and Jorge doesn’t play anymore . Stienway had a decent amount of one pocket players that would play . Shorty Willie Santiago passed away he was from the heights . So the guys that play don’t seem to have a solid place to meet up at this time . I heard there’s a place in Yonkers where a lot of guys play and Racks in Hempstead . I barely play because I work so damn much . I’m from Brooklyn but I live in queens now . Carom and Cue bar aren’t too nice but it’s all I have near me . Maybe I’ll start going to Racks . Life is so expensive here guys are out working lol . There’s more guys that play then people would think , good players too . After covid a lot of guys moved too or quit and poolrooms closed it’s just too much to lease a space . Much better things to profit with than a poolroom filled with guys who won’t even buy a water lol .

Last edited:

baby huey

Verified Member
It's so difficult to operate a 'POOL HALL." The cost of doing business i.e. rent, wages, permits, utilities and etc are prohibitive in most metro areas. Occasionally one can find a location that you can open and sustain the above but usually that ends up with you buying a job. We've had these threads before although this one is about One Pocket in NY but the same holds true about the price of doing business. I wonder what the cost per hour for two players is in NY? You may have to raise the bet to pay for table time........HA

Sam1914

Well-Known-Member
It's so difficult to operate a 'POOL HALL." The cost of doing business i.e. rent, wages, permits, utilities and etc are prohibitive in most metro areas. Occasionally one can find a location that you can open and sustain the above but usually that ends up with you buying a job. We've had these threads before although this one is about One Pocket in NY but the same holds true about the price of doing business. I wonder what the cost per hour for two players is in NY? You may have to raise the bet to pay for table time........HA
My dad visited not long ago he lives in NC and we played like 2 1/2 hours it was like 70 dollars lol you have to get a special and make sure you ask for it . I actually play more when I go visit my parents down south than when I’m home .

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
My dad visited not long ago he lives in NC and we played like 2 1/2 hours it was like 70 dollars lol you have to get a special and make sure you ask for it . I actually play more when I go visit my parents down south than when I’m home .
Skyline and Gotham City have daytime specials, reasonable too. You can walk between the two.