Did Gary Pinkowski beat everyone playing 1P at North Shore in Chicago?

Don Smith

Verified Member
Did Gary Pinkowski beat everyone, playing 1P, at North Shore Billiards, back when it was open? Artie B was not there at that time. Bugs was.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Yeah, sure

Yeah, sure

Don Smith said:
Did Gary Pinkowski beat everyone, playing 1P, at North Shore Billiards, back when it was open? Artie B was not there at that time. Bugs was.

Hardly.

the Beard

I knew Gary when he was skinny

Don Smith

Verified Member
Dumb Question?

Dumb Question?

Some guy had told me that about Pinkowski. I was just checking it out.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
twenty, thirty dollar player

twenty, thirty dollar player

Don Smith said:
Some guy had told me that about Pinkowski. I was just checking it out.

Gary played a nice speed, but he was only a 20 or 30 dollar player.

the Beard

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
fred bentivegna said:
Gary played a nice speed, but he was only a 20 or 30 dollar player.

the Beard
Who is Gary Pinkoskie I never hird of that name. And when was he up thier when all the action was gone. Or was it when it first opened up? I never herd anything about Gary Pinkoskie. Were was he from?

jay helfert

Verified Member
Artie Bodendorfer said:
Who is Gary Pinkoskie I never hird of that name. And when was he up thier when all the action was gone. Or was it when it first opened up? I never herd anything about Gary Pinkoskie. Were was he from?

Gary was from upstate New York. He was the guy who created the B.C. Open in the 80's. It was one of the biggest pool tournaments of that era with a $25,000 first prize. Gary was a decent hustler in the 70's playing all over the country. He was a couple of balls under the top players. A guy like Jersey Red or Ed Kelly might give him 9-7. He'd need 9-6 or 10-7 from Ronnie. Even Brian spotted him 8-7 (they played). Freddie is right. Gary was comfortable playing for 25-50 a game, not a bad bet back then. At 100 a game he got tight (against Brian).

Gary spent a week or two with me in L.A. in the early 70's. I took him around to a few places. He beat Preacher Red and Ray Booth playing even. He also broke even with Cryin' Sam. He played all these guys for about 30-40 a game. He played about a ball above me, except at Banks. He wasn't overweight back then. He got fat later. Too fat!

Last edited: