Buffalo's streaming

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Congrats to Ray on the near perfect streaming of the Buffalo's event. I've never, ever bought a stream to anything by anyone because I knew I'd not take the time to sit down and watch most of whatever the event was; plus there always seemed to be complaints about cut-outs and other problems (not necessarily from PoolActionTV, but others as well). However, because I wasn't going over to Lacy's to meet up with our members at the informal MOT tournament due to its being cancelled, I decided for once to buy a day pass (Sat.) rather than drive over to N.O.-- so as to avoid the hassle and strain. I wanted to save the wear and tear on the old body.

Turned out to be easy to access and pay for the stream. I had no buffering problems, and there were only 1 or 2 very minor glitches. At one point the good commentary by JJ and Larry Schwartz was way out of sync with the live video. Someone said that I should have refreshed the stream, which would have brought it into sync. I didn't think to try that, but instead turned off the sound. By the next match with Josh/Alex it was perfectly in sync.

To my taste there were a few camera angles I'd like to have seen. If it's impossible to have a direct bird's eye view (straight down onto the table) due to the lighting arrangement, then I'd like to have seen a higher angle from the foot end of the table. Also it would help on many key layouts during action at the foot end to switch to either of the side views so that the viewers could see exactly what the shooters were facing. That would obviously help the commentators as well-- as and aid to their opinions. Or give the commentators themselves the ability to switch the views when they're live in the venue booth. Since there's no camera moving arm, ala Accustats, then these angles would be very helpful.

But overall to me the $15 for a day pass was well worth the expense to see such great pool from the comfort of my own chair at home.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Congrats to Ray on the near perfect streaming of the Buffalo's event. I've never, ever bought a stream to anything by anyone because I knew I'd not take the time to sit down and watch most of whatever the event was; plus there always seemed to be complaints about cut-outs and other problems (not necessarily from PoolActionTV, but others as well). However, because I wasn't going over to Lacy's to meet up with our members at the informal MOT tournament due to its being cancelled, I decided for once to buy a day pass (Sat.) rather than drive over to N.O.-- so as to avoid the hassle and strain. I wanted to save the wear and tear on the old body.

Turned out to be easy to access and pay for the stream. I had no buffering problems, and there were only 1 or 2 very minor glitches. At one point the good commentary by JJ and Larry Schwartz was way out of sync with the live video. Someone said that I should have refreshed the stream, which would have brought it into sync. I didn't think to try that, but instead turned off the sound. By the next match with Josh/Alex it was perfectly in sync.

To my taste there were a few camera angles I'd like to have seen. If it's impossible to have a direct bird's eye view (straight down onto the table) due to the lighting arrangement, then I'd like to have seen a higher angle from the foot end of the table. Also it would help on many key layouts during action at the foot end to switch to either of the side views so that the viewers could see exactly what the shooters were facing. That would obviously help the commentators as well-- as and aid to their opinions. Or give the commentators themselves the ability to switch the views when they're live in the venue booth. Since there's no camera moving arm, ala Accustats, then these angles would be very helpful.

But overall to me the $15 for a day pass was well worth the expense to see such great pool from the comfort of my own chair at home.
See? Articulate well thought out, I nominate DOC for commentary