Some one pocket action happening in California this evening (on Facebook)

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I watched the first set and part of the second set. I just don't care to listen to Box commentary. I'm sorry I missed Rich

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO

OldSchool

Verified Member
I watched the first set and part of the second set. I just don't care to listen to Box commentary.
sneakynito said:
my exact sentiment.

Yep. He has absolutely no clue re. playing one pocket correctly, but annoyingly talks as if he does.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
thanks for watching and listening its been a while
Hi Box. I’m not sure if we’ve ever met. I’ve played Jimmy a number of times and a few others at Hardtimes. I’d be interested in meeting you and playing some in September on my next visit.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
It was great.. You know that guy Box, he's one of the best commentators of all times.. He fkking aces....

Ratamon

Verified Member
From
London, UK

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Wow Mika doesn't have the faintest idea how to play one pocket and gives 9-6. I have only watched half of the first set and not sure I can endure much more of it. How did it end ?
I fast forwarded to end of the first set and Mika Won at hill-hill. I haven't watched much, just trying to find when Rich stepped in.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Hi Box. I’m not sure if we’ve ever met. I’ve played Jimmy a number of times and a few others at Hardtimes. I’d be interested in meeting you and playing some in September on my next visit.
Box made. Brief appearance at CA billiards during the MOT if I remember correctly. I didn't get a chance to talk with him which is too bad, we have Bert Schrager in common. Maybe next time.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I left Bert's shop around July/August of 77, too bad yours doesn't have a piece of me. :) I used to do inlays with him.
You obviously knew Bert real well, what with working for him. I knew Bert from the late '60s when he was a habitue of Tiff Payne's North Hollywood Billiards. He had just started getting good at making billiard cues. I could not afford one at the time, but I finally called him in the mid '80s, and he sold me a plain birdseye pole. I still have it, but haven't used it in years.

At the time his shop was nearby in N. Hyd. Did you work with him a number of years?

Bert had a pleasant personality, and his looks always reminded me of Willie Hoppe's. He was a good 3C player as well. I think he even had a sidestroke similar to Hoppe's.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I left Bert's shop around July/August of 77, too bad yours doesn't have a piece of me. :) I used to do inlays with him.
One day when I was at Berts shop checking in on my cue Bert asked me if I was interested in becoming his apprentice. There was no way I could quit aircraft mechanic school, probably would have been kinda neat though.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
You obviously knew Bert real well, what with working for him. I knew Bert from the late '60s when he was a habitue of Tiff Payne's North Hollywood Billiards. He had just started getting good at making billiard cues. I could not afford one at the time, but I finally called him in the mid '80s, and he sold me a plain birdseye pole. I still have it, but haven't used it in years.

At the time his shop was nearby in N. Hyd. Did you work with him a number of years?

Bert had a pleasant personality, and his looks always reminded me of Willie Hoppe's. He was a good 3C player as well. I think he even had a sidestroke similar to Hoppe's.
I worked with Bert for only about 6 months. Bert and Pat were like my west coast parents after I moved from Michigan. They were great; fed me when I was hungry, trips to Vegas, watching Bert play horrible poker, playing billiards together, etc. Watching him make cues was awesome, for a big man he moved around that shop with grace. As much as I loved my time in his shop, it wasn't for me so I was planning my exit strategy:

Bert bought a new lathe and talked about wanting an apprentice, I put 2 and 2 together and didn't want him to think I was it. But I had too much respect and love for him to leave and have him see me just hanging out at Tiff's. At that time junior colleges in LA county were free so I thought I would enroll so I could tell him I was going back to school and had to leave. It was getting late to enroll so I decided to enroll in a program for computer technology just to start.

Well, I graduated the 2 year program with an Associate Degree and got a job with HP repairing their mini computers thus beginning a career for the first time. ~~ I owe my whole professional career and indirectly meeting my wife to Bert and my not wanting to disappoint him.

Yes Doc, Bert had a sidestroke and was a pretty good player, but talking about his hands, his were STRONG! If I didn't crotch my hand deep while shaking hands, my hand would get crushed.

RIP Bert and Pat.

Last edited:

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
One day when I was at Berts shop checking in on my cue Bert asked me if I was interested in becoming his apprentice. There was no way I could quit aircraft mechanic school, probably would have been kinda neat though.
He was always looking for an apprentice. 🤣😂

He was very generous with his knowledge and helped many cue builders get started.

P. S. You made the right choice 👍

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Yes Doc, Bert had a sidestroke and was a pretty good player, but talking about his hands, his were STRONG! If I didn't crotch my hand deep while shaking hands, my hand would get crushed.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that crushing hand shake! That was something to be avoided.
I too went to L.A. Valley College for free in 1978-79 in order to get the required science credits for acceptance into Chiropractic college.