Harold Worst

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Lou, that was a great read from Danny McGoorty's book about Worst. It also adds some useful information about the tournament in Argentina. Some pretty good players went down there to compete. When I looked at the tournament chart from the Argentina event it lists whether the player was right handed or left handed. It lists Worst as left handed. The picture of him playing earlier show him playing right handed? Was he a John Mora LH and RH player?

Don't know whether he was "amphibious."

All the photos I've seen show him shooting righty.

Lou Figueroa

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 2
  • download-1.jpg
    download-1.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 2
  • download-2.jpg
    download-2.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 2
  • download-4.jpg
    download-4.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 2
  • download-3.jpg
    download-3.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: lll

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
There was some interest in Worst's performance at the 1954 world championships in Argentina, so here's some actual newsreel footage of him against Navarra in that tournament.

And here's an old post discussing Worst's stroke ...

Rabbi see post #3.

baby huey

Verified Member
Do we know of any action matches with Harold playing One Pocket. RA talks a little about him in his Road Stories interview but if anyone else has information that would be interesting to hear about.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Do we know of any action matches with Harold playing One Pocket. RA talks a little about him in his Road Stories interview but if anyone else has information that would be interesting to hear about.
Jerry, I'm assuming you have Freddy's book, "The Encyclopedia of Hustlers?" There are a few stories of Worst playing who ever dared to look him in the eye.

RabbiHippie

Verified Member
R. A. Dyer has a whole site devoted to Harold Worst stories ...

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
R. A. Dyer has a whole site devoted to Harold Worst stories ...

Interesting blog/site. I don't understand the, 'Angle device.' Do You?

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
if ronnie thinks he is the greatest
thats something
Larry, I listened to Ronnie until He said that Worst went to Belgium and beat all players in World tournament!
100 NOT TRUE!!!!!!!

The Europeans are meticulous record/statistic keepers! NO record of Worst ever setting foot on the European continent to play 3C!!!!

I'm pretty sure, the UK Snooker organizations were like minded when it comes to records/stats!

BTW, ALL European/World 3C Championships were, 'AMATEUR' tournaments until 1980! That's when the BWA Professional 3C organization was formed.

Last edited:

baby huey

Verified Member
Romie Yanez an accomplished 3C player and owner of he now closed Brunswick Billiard Academy 4th and Main Los Angeles told me in 1968 that Harold was the best 3C player from 1953 til the time he passed. Romie himsel a crafty 3C player did the geometric/arithmetric cartoon for Walt Disney staring Bugs Bunny. It's quite good and can be seen on You Tube. Danny McGoorty used to come down to LA each year and stay around 4th and Main playing 3C at night and the horses in the daytime til he was busted and went back to San Fran. He also told me Harold was Americas best 3C player until he died. During that time action consisted of Nine Ball and One Pocket much like today so I can see why Harold spent his later years playing pool. Fact of Fiction, did he really get hired out in those ring games in Johnson City?

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Larry, I listened to Ronnie until He said that Worst went to Belgium and beat all players in World tournament!
100 NOT TRUE!!!!!!!

The Europeans are meticulous record/statistic keepers! NO record of Worst ever setting foot on the European continent to play 3C!!!!

I'm pretty sure, the UK Snooker organizations were like minded when it comes to records/stats!

BTW, ALL European/World 3C Championships were, 'AMATEUR' tournaments until 1980! That's when the BWA Professional 3C organization was formed.
ronnie still thought worst was the greatest even if his supporting evidence could be "mis-remebered" 😂

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
On equipment I did research rubber co. at the turn of 1900's and there was a tremendous amount. NY by itself had quite a few, Chicago also and of course and other cities. The reason for my research, I was contemplating putting new rubber on my table, and therefore contacted A.E. Schmidt of St. Louis for that is the rails I have on my table, and the rubber is from a company in NY. The fastest most accurate rails imaginable. I was told those rails were unavailable for the company is out of business, well all of the rubber co. are gone.

So during those years and quite before there were many pool table mfg.ers all vieing for the market and to produce the best table. They were vieing to have the best rails and they used their own rubber companies. So there were inconsistent in response, but were all 100 per cent natural gum rubber that I only know as fast and true bounce of which does not reverse off of the 2nd rail.

Now when did the rubber co. go out, I do not know, but one can imagine after 1929 or somewhat later as mr3c stated synthetic was introduced after '43 or WW11. During WW11 there were not prosperous times, times were hard, people sacraficed much, and this lasted way into the 50's and thus the dark years of pool. So there was a time with pool in decline that pool halls were more than likely playing on old rubber, but still very good rubber.

At the Bellflower Palace the 5 x 10 snooker table played so accurate, it's cloth was slick and glossy, the table never changed year after year, and I do not remember what model it was or know what cloth was on it, as I do not remember that about their 6 x 12 but it also played excellent. But the cloth on the 5 x 10 was the best I had ever seen.

I tried to research when worsted pool cloth came out but only found one comment that it was in the 1990's, I quit in '73, so really do not know.
But cloth with nap was directional and had to be brushed from head to foot. And this is where I need to be corrected for I am going on memory, but it would play shorter in one direction vs. the other direction, so this as you can see would effect the diamond system. Or I could be off, and it only played slower in one direction vs. the other.

But I found it interesting that mr3c comments on rails and how it effects the diamond system. I only had known that on a 3 rail bank on a 3c table the 2nd diamond connects with the corner, on a pool table it is the 3rd. diamond that connects, 1 whole diamond different.

In todays's world there are still many different pool table mf.ers and they all use different rubber so not much has changed.

I think back in the day the rails were really pretty good, but we know the cloth was slower and the nap created less accuracy.

I've watch many a 3c match since our bank forum opened up to include 3c, and I do notice that the rails play different, and just recently mr3c put up a match played on table from France and it played beautifully consistent, and I assume it had Klematch rails which are 100 per cent natural rubber.
Whitey

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Romie Yanez an accomplished 3C player and owner of he now closed Brunswick Billiard Academy 4th and Main Los Angeles told me in 1968 that Harold was the best 3C player from 1953 til the time he passed. Romie himsel a crafty 3C player did the geometric/arithmetric cartoon for Walt Disney staring Bugs Bunny. It's quite good and can be seen on You Tube. Danny McGoorty used to come down to LA each year and stay around 4th and Main playing 3C at night and the horses in the daytime til he was busted and went back to San Fran. He also told me Harold was Americas best 3C player until he died. During that time action consisted of Nine Ball and One Pocket much like today so I can see why Harold spent his later years playing pool. Fact of Fiction, did he really get hired out in those ring games in Johnson City?
Jerry; Here's the REAL breakdown of Worst's accomplishments in, 'National and World' 3C Championships from 1950-1954.

*1950 US National 3C event, Worst finished 2nd to Joe Chamaco.
*1950 World 3C Championship (4players) Worst finished 4th, Hoppe wins.
*1951US National 3C event, Worst finished 4th, Joe Chamaco is 1st.
*1951 World 3C Championship, No Worst, Willie Hoppe 1st.
*1952 World 3C Championship, No Worst, Willies Hoppe 1st.
*1953 World 3C Championship, Worst finished 3rd, Ray Kilgore 1st.
*1954 World 3C Championship, Worst finished 1st, Zeke Navarro 2nd. (Special 4 player round robin playoff) Worst wins.

Note: In this event, Worst lost twice to Juan Navarro.
1st game: Worst 50 vs J. Navarro 60 in 46 innings.
2nd game: Worst 51 vs J. Navarro 60 in 58 innings.

*Harold Worst NEVER played in a World 3C Championship after 1954.
* He played a few 'hand picked' Challenge Matches in 1957, also in 1960, and finally in 1961.

The ONLY World 3C Championship Harold Worst ever Won was in 1954 at Luna Park in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
What about 1957/1960/1961?
From wikipedia
* He played a few 'hand picked' Challenge Matches in 1957, also in 1960, and finally in 1961.
In 57 against an old crippled Joe Chamaco.
In 60, again against older and crippled Joe Chamaco.
In 61 against Masuko Katsura.

Fuuk Wikipedia!