the kick break

AndyB

The one rail kick break is popular wit ha few guys at the local room. The gentleman i've been playing uses it pretty good, often sticking the CB to the stack. What is a good return for this break?

Thanks
Andy

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
It would not be the same in every case. You have to assess the options from where all the balls lie. If he sticks you to the rack, look for kicks. One rail off the head rail, two rails off the long rail and head rail etc. try to get the cue ball on the other side of all his balls even if it costs you a scratch. You might consider taking an intentional leaving the cue ball where it is but I like it when my opponent puts me on the stack opposite my pocket. I just masse the cue ball back to the rail and bust balls out toward my pocket. Just look to use the rails to get behind his balls.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
The kick shots are crucial if in the stack.
Also if only one ball on his long rail, try to brush something and get him long and straight in.
If unable, an intentional straight in from the end rail is good.
Hang in there, these breaks don't always work.
Rod.

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada
I have never seen anyone who can execute this break consistently with enough pressure on the incoming player to mater. In my opinion the breaker who does this almost gives up his breaking advantage.

Against a well executed kick break you look for the stuff mentioned above.

Nick

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
The kick shots are crucial if in the stack.
Also if only one ball on his long rail, try to brush something and get him long and straight in.
If unable, an intentional straight in from the end rail is good.
Hang in there, these breaks don't always work.
Rod.

there is a reason most dont use it

u12armresl

Verified Member
No break always works, but I can tell you this. I will never scratch on the side rail break. I may take a scratch from not getting a ball to a rail, but you wont ever get BIH behind the line because of my break.

Granted, I'm an awful player. But I love the break and to play.

baby huey

Verified Member
Eddie Robbins book on one pocket has all the opening break shots well defined with pro's and cons.