Lori Shampo thread

JAM

Verified Member
Here is a video clip of a reformed Lori Shampoo sharing her testimony after she found the Lord. Skip the first 5 minutes which is a man speaking about Jesus, but after that, you can see a 32-year-old Lori giving a brief history of her past.

The caption reads: Lori Shampoo at one time was the Womens World Champion Pool Player. Pool was something she could do very well. However, there were some deep wounds in her heart stemming all the way back to her early childhood that put a wedge between her and God.

http://www.godtube.com/watch/?v=D7LD6GNX

JAM

Verified Member
The February 1984 issue the National Billiard News listed the top women money winners in 1983 as follows:

Belinda Campos-Beardon, $5,566.25
Jean Balukas, $5,365.25
Lori Shampo, $3,960.00
Geraldine Titcomb, $2,750.00
Gloria Walker, $2,389.25
Loree Jon Ogonowski, $1,956.25
Sher Lively, $1,900.00
Ewa Mataya, $1,750.00
Vicki Frechen, $1,222.25
Georgiana Casteel, $1,200.00

The official 1983 WPBA rankings:

1. Jean Balukas
2. Belinda Campos
3. Loree Jon Ogonowski
4. Lori Shampo
5. Ewa Mataya
6. Gloria Walker
7. Geri Titcomb
8. Vicki Frechen
9. Debbie Smith
10. Billie Billing
11. Georgiana Casteel
12. Fran Crimi
13. Robin Bell
14. Geri Engh
15. Sue Bishop
16. Jeanne Tomasello

The women really got the short end of the stick when it came to money payouts. I am noting how the print media spelled Lori's last name. Is this correct, with only one "o"? I have been spelling it wrong. No wonder I cannot find any data on the Internet. I have been using the wrong name. I see Freddy got it right, though, on the title of this thread.

Belinda Campos was the player of the year for The National Billiard News, but Jean Balukas was the player of the same year for Billiards Digest.

As an aside, at this time the WPBA stood for Women's Professional Billiards Alliance.

JAM

Verified Member
From an article entitled "Everybody Loves Ewa" in Billiards Digest:

She [Ewa] won her first major title in the U.S., the World Open 9-Ball, in Richmond, Ky., in 1983, two years after she turned pro. The next year, she won the same event, beating Lori Shampo in the finals - but not until after the FBI busted the place for an illegal backroom card game and shut everything down. It was like something out of "The Untouchables." "I was ahead 4-2 in a race-to-7 and ready to break the balls when the FBI, all of a sudden, came rushing in, about a dozen of them knocking down the door. I was terrified. We had no idea what they were looking for. When I calmed down, all I could think of was, 'Hey, do your business, but let me finish mine. I'm ahead in the finals of a big tournament.' They kept the place shut down for over four hours. We ended up resuming the thing at 1 a.m."

Source: http://www.billiardsdigest.com/current_issue/apr_04/story_2.php [Retrieved 11 February 2011]

John Brumback

Verified Member
fred bentivegna said:
There is a good thread on AZ that most would find interesting and informative about a great female player/personality, Lori Shampo. That is also the name of the thread.

Beard

She is the author of maybe the greatest woof line in the history of pool when she barked at Jean Balukas to play some $500 a game 9 Ball at the Maverick Club in Richmond, Ky. She told Queen Jean, "I'll shoot your ovaries off!"

Hey I got one too!! I was at "THE RACK" This Is not hearsay..this was with my own ears. sitting on those benches on the right just watching and being kinda scared when In walks this loud mouth girl struttin in there and barked, who's wants to play some and bet high? Real loud too...! well somebody spoke up and said you don't have enough $ to play In here.well she grabs here pants pocket and says to him..what do you think this Is,a pack of f-----g camels!!!!!! I about fell off the bench! Man that girl was scary! And played good too.She got right In action. I set over there and didn't move.Man that place was awesome. Glad I got to go there! I have a few more stories from while I was there but I'll save em for another time.Wow what a poolroom LOL

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
JAM said:
Here is a video clip of a reformed Lori Shampoo sharing her testimony after she found the Lord. Skip the first 5 minutes which is a man speaking about Jesus, but after that, you can see a 32-year-old Lori giving a brief history of her past.

The caption reads: Lori Shampoo at one time was the Womens World Champion Pool Player. Pool was something she could do very well. However, there were some deep wounds in her heart stemming all the way back to her early childhood that put a wedge between her and God.

http://www.godtube.com/watch/?v=D7LD6GNX
wow. what a life she had and was willing to share her journey openly.
does anyone know where she is now and how she is doing???

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
What a fascinating story is Lori's, especially if you follow up the link furnished today in this thread by JAM. And I never heard of the lady at all, before this week! Rise and fall, so to speak . . .

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
John Brumback said:
...well somebody spoke up and said you don't have enough $ to play In here.well she grabs here pants pocket and says to him..what do you think this Is,a pack of f-----g camels!!!!!!

Funny stuff - thanks John :D

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I am really enjoying this thread and the one on AZ about Lori Shampo. I think I have seen just about all the greats of the past 29 years but the one I didn't see live was Jean Balukas. I went to all the Clyde tournies and I am sure she never played in one. Just sayin;)

The last tournament i saw her play in was the governors cup in columbus ohio 1987
She was playing good and talking about doing more playing.
The next thing i heard was that she had anout with someone about the dress code at a tournament and she just said pass.She was one of the few women i ever watched who could play with the men and have a chance against all but the very best.

jazznpool

Verified Member
From
Orange, CA

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
And just to put away any untoward thoughts about her femininity, since many of the top women players including Queen Jeannie, played for the other side, Lori was all woman. I still kick myself for not taking the open shot when I was in Detroit. I was actually afraid that I would like her too much! Good looking, sexy, great bod, shoots straight, bets high, woofs like Corn Bread, and dont dog it, what more could any guy ask for?!

Beard