Bugs dethroned donnie anderson

billycarrelli

It was sometime near 1970 when a group of black men came in mergards in the afternoon,they were looking for bank action. Donnie had beat all comers for ten years,mostly black players they all seemed to be called cannonball or youngblood. Tis time the player was a tall slender black man,we had heard of BUGS but had no idea he was left handed or what he looked like and frankly nobody cared. It was BUGS with his entourage,they were well mannered and wanted to bet high.first game was for maybe 200 BUGS lost the first two games and everyone was convinced donnie would win .All the sideliners started to bet after seeing first two excibitions. The bet got up to about 600 or more thats when bugs turned it on and ran through donnie like the bulls running the streets. when the smoked cleared bugs had won about 7 in a row in about two hours ,the games went fast and they left with maybe 6,000 all that was left was a bunch of stunned suckers myself included. THATS WHEN SOMEONE SAID THAT HAS TO BE BUGS.it was very educatioal!HE FLAT STEAMROLLED DONNIE and donnie was never the same. BILLYC

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
It was sometime near 1970 when a group of black men came in mergards in the afternoon,they were looking for bank action. Donnie had beat all comers for ten years,mostly black players they all seemed to be called cannonball or youngblood. Tis time the player was a tall slender black man,we had heard of BUGS but had no idea he was left handed or what he looked like and frankly nobody cared. It was BUGS with his entourage,they were well mannered and wanted to bet high.first game was for maybe 200 BUGS lost the first two games and everyone was convinced donnie would win .All the sideliners started to bet after seeing first two excibitions. The bet got up to about 600 or more thats when bugs turned it on and ran through donnie like the bulls running the streets. when the smoked cleared bugs had won about 7 in a row in about two hours ,the games went fast and they left with maybe 6,000 all that was left was a bunch of stunned suckers myself included. THATS WHEN SOMEONE SAID THAT HAS TO BE BUGS.it was very educatioal!HE FLAT STEAMROLLED DONNIE and donnie was never the same. BILLYC

You told me this story some years ago. You forgot to mention the shot that Bugs took that broke Donnie's heart. This match had to have taken place before that big bank tourney in Ohio. Cincinnati? The one that Donnie won. Do you remember that year. 69,70,71?
I wasnt there but I heard that Bugs played Donnie 9 to 8 after Donnie had won it.

Beard

If was after that tourn that Donnie came to Bensingers to trap me. That didnt work out all that well for him. I wish I could remember the year.

billycarrelli

Buge an donnie

Buge an donnie

Yes it was before that bank tournament in springfield ohio,I think they played arace to 18 . My guess on the year was 1970. yes i should have tried to describe that backbreaker of a shot tat bugs put down ,it was a beauty ,it went like this the stack was still pretty much together the score was like 3 to 2 donnie donnie had played a good safety and left bugs on the bottom rail ,there was 1ball about 3inches off the side rail about at the first diamond, it was a standard cross the ball and go back down the table, but bugs saw an opportunity to play the cross corner with left hand english and spin into the stack I Had never seen anyone do that it was very aggressive! BUGS MADE THIS HARD SHOT AND SPUN INTO THE STACK AN RAN 6AN OUT. i was to dumbfounded to quit betting .this shot really sealed the deal .freddy i asked brombeck if he would have shot that shot,he replied yes with those big pockets back then. BUT I DON;T THINK JOHNNY WOULD HAVE SEEN THIS MOVE, REMEMBER WHEN BANKS WAS ONE AND DUCK. BILLYC

billycarrelli

Bugs and donnie

Bugs and donnie

hEY FREDDY FEEL FREE TO ADD THAT SHOT DESCRIPTION TO MY STORY OR POST IT YOURSELF , i am overwhelmed with trying to figure out how to type and post . MAN BUGS WAS A THING OF BEAUTY LIKE A GOOD THOROUGHED, WITH THE CLASS OF A GOOD HORSE , ILL GET ANOTHER COPY OF MY BIG HORSE AMBASSADOR OF LUCK .,back then in the 70's I HUSTLED THE RACE TRACK,I booked ,bet ,touted, owned and trained my own horse's and played pool at night. billyc

John Brumback

Verified Member
Yes it was before that bank tournament in springfield ohio,I think they played arace to 18 . My guess on the year was 1970. yes i should have tried to describe that backbreaker of a shot tat bugs put down ,it was a beauty ,it went like this the stack was still pretty much together the score was like 3 to 2 donnie donnie had played a good safety and left bugs on the bottom rail ,there was 1ball about 3inches off the side rail about at the first diamond, it was a standard cross the ball and go back down the table, but bugs saw an opportunity to play the cross corner with left hand english and spin into the stack I Had never seen anyone do that it was very aggressive! BUGS MADE THIS HARD SHOT AND SPUN INTO THE STACK AN RAN 6AN OUT. i was to dumbfounded to quit betting .this shot really sealed the deal .freddy i asked brombeck if he would have shot that shot,he replied yes with those big pockets back then. BUT I DON;T THINK JOHNNY WOULD HAVE SEEN THIS MOVE, REMEMBER WHEN BANKS WAS ONE AND DUCK. BILLYC

Hey old buddy,It's b-r-u-m-b-a-c-k,hehe.Good storys tho.I'm having a good time reading them! Tell somemore,you got a bunch!
PS: yeah I would have fired that shot in and blasted the stack open and ran out too,lol You know I learned from Buggs and Donnie also,well and Gary and Joey too.John B.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Beard

If was after that tourn that Donnie came to Bensingers to trap me. That didnt work out all that well for him. I wish I could remember the year. <--Who cares ???

Just in case you think I forgot your earlier statement (regarding my smooth 'brags'...That is "QUIET BRAG" #457 for YOU..:cool:

Modest Duck <---Is 454 behind at this point..:rolleyes:

PS..A poll, would REALLY not work out all that well for YOU !...:lol :lol :lol

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred bentivegna
Beard

If was after that tourn that Donnie came to Bensingers to trap me. That didnt work out all that well for him. I wish I could remember the year. <--Who cares ???Who cares? Not you, of course. All my victory's act like knives to your heart. I can understand. But I for one, would like to remember so that I can give an accurate portrayal of events in my new book, The Encyclopedia of Pool Hustlers. Whether or not you receive even so much as a line in the book is touch and go.:lol

Just in case you think I forgot your earlier statement (regarding my smooth 'brags'...That is "QUIET BRAG" #457 for YOU..:cool:

Modest Duck <---Is 454 behind at this point..:rolleyes:

Please dont motivate me enough to go back through your posts and list examples of your "adversity to attn," and intrinsic humbleness.

Beard

PS I will do it.

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred bentivegna

Please dont motivate me enough to go back through your posts and list examples of your "adversity to attn," and intrinsic humbleness.

Beard

PS I will do it.

IF...(without fabricating) you can find more than 1, to your 150,...I will buy you a new Lexus...There, you have it in writing...:eek::sorry:rolleyes:

PS..A poll would be more than adequate..No need to strain yourself, trying to avoid the innevitable outcome !..:lol :lol :lol

Last edited:

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
Excellent....

Excellent....

....sidebar.Now back to the ORIGINAL post and the coolest stories this side of Paris in the 20's and Berlin in the 50's.OK,throw in San Fran in the 60's.But I digress,SJD and Freddie have the best and the worst of times to relate regarding pool halls and the denizens thereof.They need each other to prod those old times and put them down here for our eager gratification and perusal.We all love these terrific times and want to hear more and keep on keepin on with your bad selves also on the side.Dynamite!We await your foggy takes on the times and life of Titanic,Cornbread,Ronnie and Cannonball etc.,etc,.....TIA,Bob