The pecking order

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I know some will not agree with me but we are all aware there is a pecking order in pool. Some say you play the table not the player but when you know you are in over your head you just do not play the table as well IMO.

This is much more evident at tournaments and at the Chuck Markulis Memorial Tournament last weekend it raised its ugly head many times. My early exit in both tournaments allowed me to sweat many matches and confirm that the pecking order is alive and well. The known better player plays around their top speed most of the time and the lesser player plays a little worse most of the time.

I had the good fortune of drawing Jose Parica (winner of the one pocket) early on in the one pocket tournament and he beat me 2/0. It wasn't so much that I played bad but Jose, knowing he had the best of it, having beat me many times, played very well and never let me have a chance.

Then I drew Rodney Morris in the 9 ball and he beat me 8/2. If I would have played perfect I might have won four. Rodney's aura at the table just projects a confidence that to me, seems impossible to overcome. Some players better than I only won one or two games, he was that dominant in this field. It was evident in the finals with Santos, who has beaten many champions. But Santos body language in his match with Rodney told you he knew he was up against it.

Now, I am on the other end of this from time to time and I play my top speed because I know even if I falter a time or two I can still get there. It takes a little heat off when you are confident you are the better player.

Gambling is a little different but it still shows up.

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
I know some will not agree with me but we are all aware there is a pecking order in pool. Some say you play the table not the player but when you know you are in over your head you just do not play the table as well IMO.

This is much more evident at tournaments and at the Chuck Markulis Memorial Tournament last weekend it raised its ugly head many times. My early exit in both tournaments allowed me to sweat many matches and confirm that the pecking order is alive and well. The known better player plays around their top speed most of the time and the lesser player plays a little worse most of the time.

I had the good fortune of drawing Jose Parica (winner of the one pocket) early on in the one pocket tournament and he beat me 2/0. It wasn't so much that I played bad but Jose, knowing he had the best of it, having beat me many times, played very well and never let me have a chance.

Then I drew Rodney Morris in the 9 ball and he beat me 8/2. If I would have played perfect I might have won four. Rodney's aura at the table just projects a confidence that to me, seems impossible to overcome. Some players better than I only won one or two games, he was that dominant in this field. It was evident in the finals with Santos, who has beaten many champions. But Santos body language in his match with Rodney told you he knew he was up against it.

Now, I am on the other end of this from time to time and I play my top speed because I know even if I falter a time or two I can still get there. It takes a little heat off when you are confident you are the better player.

Your right about this, have confidence because you know your the hands down favorite and being weak when you know your a huge underdog.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Your right about this, have confidence because you know your the hands down favorite and being weak when you know your a huge underdog.

You mean, kinda like me giving you a "hit and apick"...And you willl know you are a HUGE underdog ???....:p :p :p

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
I might be an underdog but I will be at Bullshooters tomorrow for the one pocket and will try you some bud. :heh

I may come out of retirement tomorrow....Minimum bet 2K, short race...Maybe Ronn will stake you...;)...I demand the TV table for our match... (or Ronn can play some 10/6)..:eek:

PS.. I may be the dark horse in the field..Better get on me..I have been practicing like Billy Stroud, until my eyes are bleeding (NOT)...
I have not hit a ball, in over a year...you know that for a fact..:cool:

PS..I will commentate with you,or Bernie..for a small fee..A case of Yukon Jack...Also, I will waive my usual appearance fee, of 10K...I am only here for my fan's...I assume there will be adequate security...

If you see an overweight guy, with a beard, "Jackie O" style glasses, and a slight limp,... or an old guy with grey hair, (possibly holding his nuts) with some lady named Riva, who looks like she could be his daughter,.. check their I.D... If they are from Chicago,...Do NOT allow access...Unless, of course they have money, and want to to play me !...:)

Last edited:

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
I may come out of retirement tomorrow....Minimum bet 2K, short race...Maybe Ronn will stake you...;)...I demand the TV table for our match... (or Ronn can play some 10/6)..:eek:

PS.. I may be the dark horse in the field..Better get on me..I have been practicing like Billy Stroud, until my eyes are bleeding (NOT)...
I have not hit a ball, in over a year...you know that for a fact..:cool:

PS..I will commentate with you,or Bernie..for a small fee..A case of Yukon Jack...Also, I will waive my usual appearance fee, of 10K...I am only here for my fan's...I assume there will be adequate security...If you see an overweight, guy, with a beard and glasses, and a slight limp, or a dwarf with grey hair...Do NOT allow access. (unless they want to to play me !)...:)
Sounds good bud, if you need a ride then let me know and I will pick you up but we will be there for awhile as the tournament runs until 9pm or so and the Pacman fight is on, I will take Pacman for a small sweat too.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Sounds good bud, if you need a ride then let me know and I will pick you up but we will be there for awhile as the tournament runs until 9pm or so and the Pacman fight is on, I will take Pacman for a small sweat too.

Thanks, but I can still drive 5 miles. (barely)...I assume this Pacman thing must be some kind of "kill or be killed" fight/ match/ slaughter, that is very popular with Redneck, NASCAR fans, who enjoy being pepper sprayed, and beat about the head and shoulders..:frus.

No bet...But I will play some Ms Pacman, or Golden Tee, for a bottle of YJ..:p

View attachment 4195

Last edited:

Billy Jackets

Verified Member

I feel the same way, it's amazing to watch people miss balls they never miss against anyone else.
I have been likeminded with you on several of your posts which is unusual., Your honesty and awareness of your actual ability is unusual and probbaly explains why you still do well in your senior years.
Good luck to you sir, I hope one day to meet you, I watched you play Ronn in Pheonix but had to leave before you were finished.

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
Play the table. But always consider how your opponent plays the table.

It is a balance - Say you're playing Frost, SVB, etc. If you play the opponent, you NEVER leave ANYTHING. Look what it does to your game.

The best summary of playing the table in consideration of how your opponent plays, is a match between Billy Incardona and Howard Vickery at L.O.P.

Vickery had every skill needed, a big lead, and was on a roll. We have to look further than stopping a shot or move and learn how to stop the roll - Billy did that by giving him bad proposition back to back to back.

The ideal is balance. Every player has a strength, so learn them - and balance between how well you know an opponent and how well you know yourself. Just my opinion, among some which hold more merit.