Denny Keehan passes

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Denny Keehan, long time pool bug from the South Side an Red Shoes passed away from cancer. Denny was an ex Jockey who got paralyzed in a racing accident. Confined to a wheelchair for life, he took up pool with a vengeance. Using an assortment of gadgets, many of which he designed himself, to get to all the different shots, he became a respectable pool player. He was in his 60s at least. Nice guy, tuff loss.

Beard

philwelch

Verified Member
From
Plainfield,IL
Sorry to hear this. I remember Denny playing in all the wednesday night 9ball tourneys at the Chicago Billiard Cafe back in the mid 80's. You had to see him struggling to get to his next shot with fierce determination. I can only imagine the energy it took but Denny wasn't going to be denied playing a game anyone could see he loved with a passion. Denny was also a gentleman and just a great guy who had to deal with a physical condition that might have kept the average man from playing pool. RIP Denny

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
philwelch said:
Sorry to hear this. I remember Denny playing in all the wednesday night 9ball tourneys at the Chicago Billiard Cafe back in the mid 80's. You had to see him struggling to get to his next shot with fierce determination. I can only imagine the energy it took but Denny wasn't going to be denied playing a game anyone could see he loved with a passion. Denny was also a gentleman and just a great guy who had to deal with a physical condition that might have kept the average man from playing pool. RIP Denny

I realy dont think I new Denny. But I am sorry for his family and all his loved ones.

He must have been one great man. With a heart as big as anyone ever had.

Its amazing what people will do too play a game they love. And nothing can stop them.

And he must have realy had some trying times. He lived his life and he did whatever he had too. To play the game he loved so much.

When I her about people like this. I wish that they could play like the greatest players ever played.

And let them get that feeling what its like too play that way. He gave all he had. And Im sure thier will be a place in Heaven waiting for him.

And life teaches us. We never no the day. When we dont get too see tommarow. But thats why we are her.

And enjoy youre life too the fullest. And if we do that then we wont have no regrets.

All I can say is Denny you are not alone. We are all thinking about you. And who you were in life.

A man with heart and courage. That never gave up no matter howe hard it got.

God bless you DEnny and youre family.

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
too many pool players pasing away recently,

god bless him and his loved ones.

I remember seeing a guy at the DCC with no hands play pool on a bar box, he could play. that took guts and heart-perhaps more than we all think we have.

I have no excuses.

I knew Shawn he played from a wheel chair, his body was shaped like a beer keg but much smaller, birth defect. He could play as well. Its amazing what a driven person can do.

God bless the handicapped pool players and the players who have passed recently.

sincerly

Eric

philwelch

Verified Member
From
Plainfield,IL
This was posted at AZ Billiards today by Dennis Walsh. I thought I'd pass it along so people here could see the challenges Denny faced.

Denny "Sweet Sroke" Keehan - Today, 06:58 AM
Dennis J. Keehan garnered national attention as a gifted young jockey, but a horse racing accident at age 21 left him paralyzed from the waist down, ending his brief career on the track.

The Chicago native later fueled his competitive drive by playing pocket billiards -- on crutches or from a wheelchair -- in amateur leagues and tournaments.

Denny “Sweet Stroke” Keehan, as he was sometimes called, became a well-known figure in the pool circuit throughout the city and country.

Mr. Keehan, who last resided in Chicago Ridge, died of cancer on May 4 at his sister’s home in Worth. He was 68.

Born on Jan. 19, 1943, Mr. Keehan grew up in Mount Greenwood on Chicago’s Southwest Side. While attending Mendel Catholic High School, Mr. Keehan was a quiet, reserved student who dominated as a wrestler, winning 40 of 43 matches.

Because of his short stature and incredible strength, his wrestling coach recommended he look into a career as a jockey. Though Mr. Keehan had no experience with horses other than once taking a picture with a pony, he turned down a wrestling scholarship for the racetrack, his sister Dotty Schumpp said.

Mr. Keehan started at the bottom, cleaning stables and walking horses, but he quickly showed his promise as a jockey.

Mr. Keehan took first place in his first professional race and later broke two track records at the former Sportsman’s Park in Cicero. He was nationally ranked as one of the top apprentice jockeys with 625 mounts and 83 wins in his short nine-month career.

“That is a tremendous feat,” said his friend, Dan Lynch, a retired judge in the Circuit Court of Cook County. “He had an extraordinary number of mounts; that would be unheard of as an apprentice. That’s how good he was.”

On April 25, 1964, at Sportsman’s Park, Mr. Keehan fell during a race and was trampled by other horses. After months of hospitalization, doctors said he would never walk again.

“He accepted what happened to him,” Schumpp said. “He had more heart than anybody.”

Though he had to use leg braces and crutches to get around, and later a wheelchair, friends said he never complained and continued to live and drive independently.

After the accident Mr. Keehan also discovered a passion for pool, which he picked up during his downtime at the racetrack. As a paraplegic, however, he had to develop gadgets that would help him reach shots across the table.

Mr. Keehan ended up competing with some of the best pool players nationwide, according to Jim Parker, president of the Illinois Billiard Club, and he became the second leading point holder in the country in a wheelchair league.

For some time, Mr. Keehan also owned his own billiard hall in Michigan.

“He was so inspirational in the way he dealt with all this adversity and all this pain,” Parker said. Occasionally, while maneuvering around the pool table, “you could see that the pain would hit him. He’d just cringe for 30 or 40 seconds and then it’d pass. He wouldn’t say a word.”

Mr. Keehan wrote a book about his life that, once published, will benefit the Permanently Disabled Jockeys Fund.

Mr. Keehan is preceded in death by his parents, Gerald and Dorothy Keehan, and brother Jerry Keehan.

A memorial service is pending.

ObituaryChicago.com

http://www.obituarychicago.com/2011/...-chicagos.html
Attached Images

Worm

Verified Member
Great Guy

Great Guy

Denny was a great guy, played him quite a few times. Tons of determination and heart. I used to watch him play a guy I will leave nameless...but nobody in the pool room liked when Denny played him because it was an unfair game and Denny got beat about 90% of the time.

But you know what...that 10% of the time when he would win, I'm sure meant the world to him. Denny wasn't looking for anything easy, he wasn't looking for a spot. He wanted a tough game and he wanted to prevail.

He will be missed.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Worm said:
nobody in the pool room liked when Denny played him because it was an unfair game and Denny got beat about 90% of the time.

But you know what...that 10% of the time when he would win, I'm sure meant the world to him. Denny wasn't looking for anything easy, he wasn't looking for a spot. He wanted a tough game and he wanted to prevail.

He will be missed.

Bless his heart. RIP
Rod.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
My kinda guy !!!

My kinda guy !!!

And a big plus...he's Irish...Wish I had known him, RIP Denny..:(

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
SJDinPHX said:
And a big plus...he's Irish...Wish I had known him, RIP Denny..:(

Talking about the Irish. A great reporter women just past away in Chicago, Anne Keegan.

Sge was the reporter that weote my Boston Shorty story. And SJD would have liket her. WE would go out drinking and she loved it.

I would get blind drunk and she would showe hwe reporters badge and said I will take care off him.

And she rote for the Chicago Tribune. And she also rote some books.

And the funny think. When I went too Lahe View High School I lived one block behind were she lived.

Its in THe Chicago Trigune on MAy 22 2011. And the women who wrote the article on her is

Mary Schmich. And she was a super reporter.

But I think we all remember our good times.

She was a beautifull women. And she had a lot off heart. Goodby my Friend Ill see you on the come around.

We sure had fun together.