You guys who have a table at home...

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I have been invited a couple places but no way in heck will I be doing it any time soon. We get everything delivered and dont leave the house period. I think I have gone out 2x total where I had to pick up prescriptions from store but I am as safe as possible....hope everyone is doign well!

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I had intended to invite my ole pal Bille over, and 1HoleNut; but a few weeks ago I suddenly went blind in my left eye. I can still shoot pool of course, but it really ruins the depth perception. I even miscue a lot. My eye had been poor for several years, but it still had been helpful for spatial perception.

So I've put guests on the back burner since my game has gone down probably 25%, maybe more. If I can get some vision back, I'll be rarin' to go!!

Hardmix

Verified Member
From
Cumming Ga
Doc, I am sorry to hear about your eye. Don’t lose hope though. We have a player here in Atlanta nicknamed “sidewinder’ because he turns his head to the side so his good eye looks down the shaft. I can tell you he shoots very straight.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i have a table in my house
i have only 2 people over to play
both are germophobes and wouldnt shake your hand before all of this
only fist bumps
i live in a small community with only 100 cases and 10 deaths
most from nursing homes
so i feel safe around them
i do wash my hands or use hand sanitizer frequently to be safe
i dont wear a mask or gloves when playing with them (but i am meticulous to not touch my face)
and as i said wash my hands frequently and wipe down the table with alcohol wipe and clean the balls after they leave
i do wear a mask and gloves going to the supermarket etc

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
I had intended to invite my ole pal Bille over, and 1HoleNut; but a few weeks ago I suddenly went blind in my left eye. I can still shoot pool of course, but it really ruins the depth perception. I even miscue a lot. My eye had been poor for several years, but it still had been helpful for spatial perception.

So I've put guests on the back burner since my game has gone down probably 25%, maybe more. If I can get some vision back, I'll be rarin' to go!!
Sorry to hear about your eye issue. Hopefully it's temporary and you'll be back in action soon. Stay well.

brexit

Verified Member
From
Atlanta, GA
Doc, you have my sympathy.

I’ve been 20/20 in my right eye and 20/400 in my left since birth. My mother had German Measles when pregnant with me and the doctors said that’s most likely what caused the permanent retina damage.

Depth perception is the biggest challenge for me but you’ll be surprised how your brain can learn to compensate with a little practice and training. Don’t give up. You can get through this.

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
Yes, the equipment is brand new Diamonds. I haven't been there but have talked to a couple of members and I believe its $125/month to be a member. I think the membership number is limited because of limited space for pool tables. It's also nice to have Greg Sullivan himself playing there regularly! They have the same thing in Evansville, IN. Their membership is $25/month and the equipment is all used Diamonds. 3 bar tables and 2 9 fts.

Who paid for the brand new Diamond tables? Someone had to put up "a lot of thousands" to start the Louisville club because $125 a month with 15 members will probably cover the rent and utilities, so at some point in time there had to be a lot more money handed over by the members to buy the tables and set the place up.

That's why we initially want $2500 a member, 10 to 12 members, to start up the club. Hopefully, once the club is open then the money collected from the non-members for table time will pay for the rent and utilities. If it does (money collected from non-members) then the monthly Chicago club membership would be 0 dollars.

Kybanks

Verified Member
Who paid for the brand new Diamond tables? Someone had to put up "a lot of thousands" to start the Louisville club because $125 a month with 15 members will probably cover the rent and utilities, so at some point in time there had to be a lot more money handed over by the members to buy the tables and set the place up.

That's why we initially want $2500 a member, 10 to 12 members, to start up the club. Hopefully, once the club is open then the money collected from the non-members for table time will pay for the rent and utilities. If it does (money collected from non-members) then the monthly Chicago club membership would be 0 dollars.

I'm not sure on all the logistics, I just know the equipment is top notch and $125/mo is very reasonable to have a private place to play. I also know that there has been pretty big action there recently involving Lil' Jon from New Orleans.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Sorry for you Art
That eye had been giving you trouble for years
Any chance you may regain some vision in that eye?

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Sorry for you Art
That eye had been giving you trouble for years
Any chance you may regain some vision in that eye?
Too soon to tell, Larry. I can see shapes, but doubt that I could see the "E" on the chart. Will be checking with my retina guy over in Covington, LA in a month or so. I had been taking 5 mg of tadadafil for several months in order to relieve BPH, which it did. But I never considered that it would cause ischemia in my left optic disc. So I ended up with AION (Anterior Ischemic Optic Neuropathy). In other words the optic disc suffered loss of blood supply, so it went ischemic, and caused blindness. Obviously, I stopped the tadadafil.

I'm hoping it'll come back enough to where I can have the retinal peeling procedure to cure the edema. We'll see. [pun intended].

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.

Pretty sure this was started by Jason and Alan. They are the brothers who back a lot of action and live in New Albany. After bank shot closed in Louisville there isn't a decent pool room in the area. I think it was a matter of they needed a place to play and set up matches besides their basement. I have posted several links of action streams from there. Bergman and Filler were susposed to play their set there but it has been cancelled now. I'll bet membership is a easy sale in their area with no decent tables within 80 miles or so.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Sorry to hear about your eye Doc!

I know you will get through it and will get your game back in tip top shape...just might have to make some adjustments. Keep us posted and good luck with it for sure!

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Like myself, and my pals johnnytronic & Donn playing at our friends house as of two weeks ago...and like onepocket.org bro's crabcat John, Larry, etc...serious pool players can only take not playing competitively for so long 😣 i.e...

...for 9 weeks, starting in March, three different guys who I know in the Chicago area that have tables at home decided to 'play safe' and not have anyone over to their house to play...as of last week, they couldn't take it anymore, and now all three started having their buddies over to play.

P.S. And all of us feel that playing at our friends house, where we all trust each other, is much safer than going to the poolhalls around dozens of ?people, when they finally open up.

Last edited:

oldschool1478

Verified Member
From
Quincy, MA
My friend Jason has been coming over once a week for the past 20 years.
No virus was going to stop us. He is something of a germaphobe by nature
and I trust him. In a few weeks, I will be moving to a small house in Quincy, Mass.
and the table will be left here with the new owner. :(
I hope to find someone up there with a table to befriend. Anyone?

20190110_110404.jpg

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
I have been playing with my neighbors Tuesdays. We have very few cases in our area, like maybe 15 in our whole county. I'm still pretty careful everywhere i go. The bars are open here now and i can go play in tournaments again, but doubt i'll be doing that anytime soon. Of course i have a table at home now too.