Strawberry Brooks vs. Cliff Joyner 1995 Roanoke#2

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
It's game 5 (playing best of 7) and they split the first four games. No score yet in this game and it's Cliff's shot. What would you do?

Cliff's Shot.jpg

Cliff's Shot.Jpeg

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I would kick sharply into the 8 ball. Off the long rail, with draw, hard enough to move it out of the area. Easy choice for me.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
vapros said:
I would kick sharply into the 8 ball. Off the long rail, with draw, hard enough to move it out of the area. Easy choice for me.
V-Man,

If that shot was available and you shot it you'd probably leave an easy cross-corner on the 6 ball.

Dennis

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
You might be right, CD, but I had decided that shot wasn't there. Might depend on where the cb stops. It's very close. I don't know if Joyner shot it, but he's looking at it.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
vapros said:
You might be right, CD, but I had decided that shot wasn't there. Might depend on where the cb stops. It's very close. I don't know if Joyner shot it, but he's looking at it.
True enough V-Man, it depends on the rock stopping point but if it stays up too high for the bank it leaves the bank on the 6 into the 15, 13 or 5 and putting the rock up by the 1 ball.

Dennis

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Hmmm . . got to be the 6. I think the 11 is too close to the rail (isn't it?) and the 13 doesn't look like it will pass the 6. I guess CaliRed was on the right track. On the other hand, if he did kick into the 8, there's lots of possibilities in that row of three balls. Don't keep us in suspenders too long.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
If you make the carom ( which looks good ) you may get a bank on the 8 ball.:D
Rod.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 0

bernie p

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
It's game 5 (playing best of 7) and they split the first four games. No score yet in this game and it's Cliff's shot. What would you do?

View attachment 3765

The angle to bank the stripe 11 to billiard very thinly off the 8 towards Cliffs' pocket appears to be on, squatting whitey, leaving potential cover with 7, 10, 6 balls if the 11 does not drop.

At this relatively low speed, the greatest risk is maybe leaving the 8 ball over Strawberrys' pocket but more likely would pocket the 8, leaving Cliff in a strong position.

With the cue stopped dead on the rail there is minimal chance of leaving a bank on the 11 back to Strawberrys' pocket if the 11 did not go in Cliffs' pocket.

This may appear to be more risk laden, than say cutting in the 6 and taking your chances on where whitey would end up......but hey....this is Cliff in his prime, right?

I believe I would shoot the same.

Bernie.

Rod

Verified Member
From
Phoenix, Az
I agree with Bernie. Its the first shot I visualized. Although I think bank the 11 a little fuller into the 8 to carom it into cliffs pocket. It appears to have little risk and possibly a big reward. Like putting him in deep doo doo. Not to mention it clears Straws pocket.

Rod

Bill

Verified Member
From
Washington DC
Cowboy Dennis said:

View attachment 3765

View attachment 3766

personally I'd cut the six ball but knowing Cliff fairly well - maybe he hits the 11 firm, full in its face with a bunch of follow. Cue ball gently hugs the rail and slides behind the 8 while pocketing the 11 two rails off the 5 ball. Innovation is the key ... :)

Bill

Verified Member
From
Washington DC
Bill said:
personally I'd cut the six ball but knowing Cliff fairly well - maybe he hits the 11 firm, full in its face with a bunch of follow. Cue ball gently hugs the rail and slides behind the 8 while pocketing the 11 two rails off the 5 ball. Innovation is the key ... :)

correction : off the 3 ball not the 5

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I like Bernies shot or cutting the 6 ball. If Cliff feels that he has a good look at the 6 ball he may choose that shot but banking the 11 ball and playing the billiard on the 8 ball is a strong shot. It looks to me in order to play that shot you have to cut the 11 ball fairly thin sending it toward the 7 ball. Too heavy of a hit on the 11 ball will result in a kiss something Cliff can't afford. With the 11 ball going toward the 7 ball good and bad things can happen but if he can't play the 6 ball he'll have to play Bernies shot and gamble.

Billy I.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
bernie p said:
The angle to bank the stripe 11 to billiard very thinly off the 8 towards Cliffs' pocket appears to be on, squatting whitey, leaving potential cover with 7, 10, 6 balls if the 11 does not drop.

At this relatively low speed, the greatest risk is maybe leaving the 8 ball over Strawberrys' pocket but more likely would pocket the 8, leaving Cliff in a strong position.

With the cue stopped dead on the rail there is minimal chance of leaving a bank on the 11 back to Strawberrys' pocket if the 11 did not go in Cliffs' pocket.

This may appear to be more risk laden, than say cutting in the 6 and taking your chances on where whitey would end up......but hey....this is Cliff in his prime, right?

Bernie.
I think you're on to something here, bernie. CD wouldn't have put this shot up, if he just cut the 6 in. It had to be something a little more interesting then that:D That looks like a strong shot and I bet he made it too. That's why I like reading these threads and seeing all the different replies to what people would do and why, it opens up your mind and trains it to look for other possibilities, other then basic shots.

treeMan

Verified Member
Dr. Bill, I saw your shot but re-reading Bernie's post he is doing it differently. He is banking the 11 into the 8 and caroming it to his pocket, which allows to control the cue-ball, and either pocket the 8 or get it out of there. Of course the 11 can do something nice too.

What do you think about that shot?

I think (like Cali said) that Bernie has a little gem here.

tree

wincardona said:
I like Bernies shot or cutting the 6 ball. If Cliff feels that he has a good look at the 6 ball he may choose that shot but banking the 11 ball and playing the billiard on the 8 ball is a strong shot. It looks to me in order to play that shot you have to cut the 11 ball fairly thin sending it toward the 7 ball. Too heavy of a hit on the 11 ball will result in a kiss something Cliff can't afford. With the 11 ball going toward the 7 ball good and bad things can happen but if he can't play the 6 ball he'll have to play Bernies shot and gamble.

Billy I.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
bernie p said:

Bernie.
Good eye Bernie, you win a cookie. Cliff got quite a break by making the 11 because the 8 came up and hit the cueball selling out a shot.

Cliff's Shot.jpg

CapturedPicture_24.Jpeg

CapturedPicture_25.Jpeg

CapturedPicture_26.Jpeg

Here's how he left it:

CapturedPicture_27.Jpeg

bstroud

Verified Member
He shot the wrong shot.

I am cutting the 6 ball every time. It's an easy shot and good position is simple.

When you can make a ball and get position you must shoot at your pocket.

Bill Stroud

BUD GREEN

Verified Member
Cliff's shot is one of the first ones that came to mind, but then I remembered 1000 other shots like that where I managed to sell out by the eight coming back and hitting the cue ball.

The cut looks pretty good on the screen shot, I'd have to be at the table to really know if I had the stones to shoot it though.