Should one pocket be played on a 10 foot table

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
scott in his commentary stated that many of the players i think except shannon? didnt like the 10 foot format for 1p.
he said it left too many "spaces" it was easier to get out of traps and alot of the shots he(scott) likes the bigger table wasnt conducive to his "style" of play (paraphrase)
is playing on 10 footer just a prop game in todays day and age??
is 1p "better" on a 9 footer???
your thoughts are welcome

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
scott in his commentary stated that many of the players i think except shannon? didnt like the 10 foot format for 1p.
he said it left too many "spaces" it was easier to get out of traps and alot of the shots he(scott) likes the bigger table wasnt conducive to his "style" of play (paraphrase)

Scott has a 12" stroke and dips the tip of his cue all over the place, of course he'd be complaining. 10' tables magnify those things he gets away with on a 9' table. Maybe next time they should leave his ass at home and invite Cliff.

Last edited:

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
I think 1P on the 10' is a gaff game after sweating 9 of the 12 matches so far this week, (ok gaff might be a bit to strong, but i'll make my point)

Scott's game isn't suited for it, he said so, I thought the same thing, he missed so many balls by a hair that would have been on the 9' box. It puts a big premium(too big) on shot making ability and not moving so much. I like moving games. I think 1P on a barbox would be horrible too. I think the 9' box and 1P are synchronized just right. There is lots of space to get out of traps sometimes(too often IMO on the 10' box).

I also think it was a great idea to play this event on the 10' box, couldn't be tested in a better way. I'm glad they did, and the 6 players they picked all have different styles and it showed that Scotts style isn't as effective on a 10' box as a 9' box and for shane who don't miss anymore it don't matter. Alex wasn't alex man he ususally is he looked tired or something else , he couldn't break the balls at all on the table. Scott broke perhaps the best. But the "Cornbread" sweep shots are not near as effective or common because balls dont collide too much space, balls don't tickey in as often, or go in if they do roll towards the hole, so a great "one pocket" shot isnt rewarded. Flip side is for Shane who cant miss anymore, long strait shots still go in, so 10 ball style shot gets rewarded-but were not playing 10ball. see what i mean, changes the whole nature of the game too much IMO. its not one hole, its snooker-log potting kinda sorta game.

the 10' box is great for the 10ball tournaments at derby and tunica and for 14.1, there is a place and time for everything and giving the big box the benefit of the doubt it would be great for action 1P because both players might feel they have the edge on it, so in a action room having one is a good idea-becuase it might create a game that wouldnt be played on a 9' foot box.

Having said all that I'll leave it at thes, I think for proper onehole tourney's or a "Make it happen" type event the 9' box with 4" tight pockets is the better of the 2 tables.

best
eric:)

Trent

I like the 10 ft table for this event, its kind of nice to see them stuggle :D

But im certain if they played on one more regularly they would make it look just like the 9ftr in no time.

I gave the edge to shane in this since hes had action on the ten footer the most out of everyone playing. and of course alex since he plays snooker but he doesnt look like himself at all so far.:frus

Great production ill buy it again when it goes to DVD.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I must first admit, I haven't seen any of the matches, but I REALLY like the idea. First thing I'll say, is of course these guy will be complaining. I would have honestly predicted that. You are talking about guys that shoot at everything normally, and make it. IMO, the people who don't like is should learn to play a little more conservatively. Pick a few off, and go back to moving. I have noticed that today's winning players don't like to do this at all, they like to get out. I'd love to see more of these events to see who truly adapts quickest.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
I think 1P on the 10' is a gaff game after sweating 9 of the 12 matches so far this week, (ok gaff might be a bit to strong, but i'll make my point)

Scott's game isn't suited for it, he said so, I thought the same thing, he missed so many balls by a hair that would have been on the 9' box. It puts a big premium(too big) on shot making ability and not moving so much. I like moving games. I think 1P on a barbox would be horrible too. I think the 9' box and 1P are synchronized just right. There is lots of space to get out of traps sometimes(too often IMO on the 10' box).

I also think it was a great idea to play this event on the 10' box, couldn't be tested in a better way. I'm glad they did, and the 6 players they picked all have different styles and it showed that Scotts style isn't as effective on a 10' box as a 9' box and for shane who don't miss anymore it don't matter. Alex wasn't alex man he ususally is he looked tired or something else , he couldn't break the balls at all on the table. Scott broke perhaps the best. But the "Cornbread" sweep shots are not near as effective or common because balls dont collide too much space, balls don't tickey in as often, or go in if they do roll towards the hole, so a great "one pocket" shot isnt rewarded. Flip side is for Shane who cant miss anymore, long strait shots still go in, so 10 ball style shot gets rewarded-but were not playing 10ball. see what i mean, changes the whole nature of the game too much IMO. its not one hole, its snooker-log potting kinda sorta game.

the 10' box is great for the 10ball tournaments at derby and tunica and for 14.1, there is a place and time for everything and giving the big box the benefit of the doubt it would be great for action 1P because both players might feel they have the edge on it, so in a action room having one is a good idea-becuase it might create a game that wouldnt be played on a 9' foot box.

Having said all that I'll leave it at thes, I think for proper onehole tourney's or a "Make it happen" type event the 9' box with 4" tight pockets is the better of the 2 tables.

best
eric:)

I grew up watching 1P on a 5x10, viewing the likes of, Bugs, Artie, Mexican Johnny, Pony Rosen and even Freddy had brilliant moments on, "Big Bertha" at Bensinger’s. Johnny was probably the BEST ALL around player on the larger tables; it would have taken a player like Joe Procita in his prime to beat him!

Eric; you are right about one thing, Scott does NOT have the fire power of the rest of the field, his, "stick in the stack" strategies are useless on a 5x10. DISTANCE is the key play here, If you're a player that can come with the long shot, you're in the hunt in this format. Banking balls on this table are just as good as in, if they hang up, and if your opponent is close to the back rail. a lot of funny things can happen slow-rolling the cue ball 10 feet.

This is JMHO, being that I was from the era of last days of "BIG table" play!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

P.S. The players I mentioned above would have certainly given the 6 players in this field a run for their money, and 2 of them would have most likely come out on TOP!

lfigueroa

Verified Member

Personally, I don't care for the 10' tables simply because I can't identify with them. They are not widely (or even narrowly) available, so why would I care about 10' tables -- I will never get a chance to practice and compete on them, so for me I have zero interest in them for any game.

What I want to see is competition on the same or similar equipment that I compete on.

For years, one of my favorite things to do at the DCC was to watch the 14.1 Challenge, because I could identify with that -- it was something I personally could practice for, complete at, and relate to. This last year I watched like maybe 20 minutes of it on the 10 footers and just said to myself, "eh." It had nothing to do with me and I had no interest.

Everyone love the 10' tables... hell, maybe we could get some 12' tables next year.

Lou Figueroa

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Personally, I don't care for the 10' tables simply because I can't identify with them. They are not widely (or even narrowly) available, so why would I care about 10' tables -- I will never get a chance to practice and compete on them, so for me I have zero interest in them for any game.

What I want to see is competition on the same or similar equipment that I compete on.

For years, one of my favorite things to do at the DCC was to watch the 14.1 Challenge, because I could identify with that -- it was something I personally could practice for, complete at, and relate to. This last year I watched like maybe 20 minutes of it on the 10 footers and just said to myself, "eh." It had nothing to do with me and I had no interest.

Everyone love the 10' tables... hell, maybe we could get some 12' tables next year.

Lou Figueroa

This might be a record, 11 "I's" in a single post,Talk about being a NARCISSISST! You got a love those, "Pseudo Intellectual Scientific Pool Geek" types!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

P.S. I was just informed I forgot about the, 2 "me's" and 1 "my" and 1" myself"!

Last edited:

lfigueroa

Verified Member

This might be a record, 11 "I's" in a single post,Talk about being a NARCISSISST! You got a love those, "Pseudo Intellectual Scientific Pool Geek" types!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

P.S. I was just informed I forgot about the, 2 "me's" and 1 "my" and 1" myself"!

That's why I started off that post with "Personally..." Don't like it... suck it :) This from a few days ago:

#####
"Vegas Lenny; I'm not sure about all the people that are included in Freddie's book. I just know who definitely is NOT!
I hope I've answered your burning questions to your satisfaction, I here to help as much as I can!
Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"
#####

Six "I's" in three sentences, lol. What a maroon.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
..." Don't like it... suck it. A "Clever Lou" quote! :rolleyes:

I would of REALLY expected something a little better than that, form a, "Pseudo Intellectual"!

You're staring to look a little like a, "defamed" Tiger Woods. Not the shinny clean penny anymore! :sorry

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

lfigueroa

Verified Member
..." Don't like it... suck it. A "Clever Lou" quote! :rolleyes:

I would of REALLY expected something a little better than that, form a, "Pseudo Intellectual"!

You're staring to look a little like a, "defamed" Tiger Woods. Not the shinny clean penny anymore! :sorry

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

I could not give a rat's ass what you would expect ;-)

Now why don't you try staying on topic since trying to needle me isn't working out too good for you.

Lou Figueroa

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
I could not give a rat's ass what you would expect ;-)

Now why don't you try staying on topic since trying to needle me isn't working out too good for you.

Lou Figueroa

It's working fine for me, "Clever Lou"!

How about you?

I'm just enjoying a rainy Sunday afternoon.

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Two of the keys to playing on a 10' table are the ability to use a bridge and the ability to play opposite-handed. Because of that, I'm surprised that anyone would put Bugs in the position of being able to beat any two of the 6 players in this 10' table tourney.

Dennis

3RAILKICK

Verified Member
You can run out from just about anywhere.

....on a 9footer...

In the couple of SVB matches I saw, it sure looked like SVB was the least intimidated by long straight in shots.

Leave him wrong sided or straight in where the reward was minimal and the risk was big-he fires em in...that's hard to defend.

As others have mentioned, SVB was ready for the 10 footer...it showed.

It was an fun exercise to watch as an experiment. It did change many aspects of 'normal' 1P moving and shooting choices as seen on 9footers.

Shane's crisp shot speed worked on this table. For example, Frost's slow rolling roll off 9 foot shots didn't. Equipment definitely came into play.

SVB puts in the work. Congratulations on a stellar perfromance..he was able to overcome the equipment challenges. He just doesn't miss as often as the other guys at distance:eek:

Trent

....on a 9footer...

In the couple of SVB matches I saw, it sure looked like SVB was the least intimidated by long straight in shots.

Leave him wrong sided or straight in where the reward was minimal and the risk was big-he fires em in...that's hard to defend.

As others have mentioned, SVB was ready for the 10 footer...it showed.

It was an fun exercise to watch as an experiment. It did change many aspects of 'normal' 1P moving and shooting choices as seen on 9footers.

Shane's crisp shot speed worked on this table. For example, Frost's slow rolling roll off 9 foot shots didn't. Equipment definitely came into play.

SVB puts in the work. Congratulations on a stellar perfromance..he was able to overcome the equipment challenges. He just doesn't miss as often as the other guys at distance:eek:

Last match with daulton was the best moving he did the whole tournament. I was hoping SVB would loose so we could see a playoff but the rolls were horrible for shannon.

I was exciting to me more so than the 9ftr just because nothing was a guarantee for the players.