Should one pocket be played on a 10 foot table

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Hmmm, let's see what we have now...One-Pocket on a tight Snooker table:

1. Prevents good players from firing at their pocket, particularly when in trouble.

2. 5x10's roll off so you must learn the rolls.

3. Good players can't "work the cueball".

4. Intentional fouls are almost non-existent, preventing a top player from taking them and forcing me to respond in kind, thus lowering the weight I'm getting.

5. The break is worth less so good players don't have a great advantage on their break.

6. It's a gaff game.

7. Good players can't cheat the pocket to move the cueball around.

8. Breaking up clusters is tougher.

Wow, I guess I was wrong. I really should prefer a game that good players are comfortable with. After all, they need the money.

P.S. Why the f@@k would I care what a viewer would like to see?

Nobody wants to see this.

Or 1pocket on a 6x12 (should be even better, following your logic), Russian pyramid table, an eight footer, bar box, or bumper pool table. Each one of the aforementioned tables would require a complete readjustment of tactics and strategies -- the break would gain or add weight, some things would be easier and some things would be harder. And yes: someone, somewhere, would get real good on one of these and I'm sure Efren would be delaying his visa application, lol.

But nobody would care -- *for well over 50 years* the contemporary version game has been played on a 4 1/2' x 9' table. Any other version is a carny game, a novelty, a gaffe game.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Nobody wants to see this.

Or 1pocket on a 6x12 (should be even better, following your logic), Russian pyramid table, an eight footer, bar box, or bumper pool table. Each one of the aforementioned tables would require a complete readjustment of tactics and strategies -- the break would gain or add weight, some things would be easier and some things would be harder. And yes: someone, somewhere, would get real good on one of these and I'm sure Efren would be delaying his visa application, lol.

But nobody would care -- *for well over 50 years* the contemporary version game has been played on a 4 1/2' x 9' table. Any other version is a carny game, a novelty, a gaffe game.

Lou Figueroa

I'm clearly talking about gambling/playing one-pocket on a 5x10 snooker table. If you don't do either why bother to respond?

P.S. Efren would've gotten his ass handed to him in Detroit.

Dennis

lfigueroa

Verified Member
I'm clearly talking about gambling/playing one-pocket on a 5x10 snooker table. If you don't do either why bother to respond?

P.S. Efren would've gotten his ass handed to him in Detroit.

Dennis

I understand what you're talking about -- for many years, not too long ago, I played pool (and snooker) on a 5x10 Brunswick snooker table.

Pool on a 5x10 snooker table is a gaffe game. You have to totally rewire your game to succeed.

Lou Figueroa

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I understand what you're talking about -- for many years, not too long ago, I played pool (and snooker) on a 5x10 Brunswick snooker table.

Pool on a 5x10 snooker table is a gaffe game. You have to totally rewire your game to succeed.

Lou Figueroa

I'm not talking about playing pool on a snooker table, I'm talking about playing one-pocket.

I even had SJD arguing with me (on the phone) for 3 hours yesterday about it being a gaff game(he said it was) and he loves one-pocket on a snooker table. He only stopped arguing because he ran out of Yukon Jack and had to walk his dog to the mailbox to get the bottle he had hidden there:p. At least I didn't have to tell him the house was on fire to get him off the phone (like I usually do). He forgets so quickly it works every time:lol.

I never was any type of great player so any edge I could get against better players helped. Many fairly decent players who could've given me weight on a pooltable would not play me even on a snooker table. All the things everyone has mentioned in this thread about how the table hurts the good player is correct; that's why I like it. I can protect my money better and there's nothing wrong with that. I played Miami and Horseface Harry even one-pocket on the snooker table and won, something I could not do on a pooltable at that time. Harry knew the game and Miami did not so I had the edge with Miami.

If it's a gaff game it's only because it's not played that much around the country but I've played it in 7 different rooms with many different guys (over 25 years).

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I'm not talking about playing pool on a snooker table, I'm talking about playing one-pocket.

I even had SJD arguing with me (on the phone) for 3 hours yesterday about it being a gaff game(he said it was) and he loves one-pocket on a snooker table. He only stopped arguing because he ran out of Yukon Jack and had to walk his dog to the mailbox to get the bottle he had hidden there:p. At least I didn't have to tell him the house was on fire to get him off the phone (like I usually do). He forgets so quickly it works every time:lol.

I never was any type of great player so any edge I could get against better players helped. Many fairly decent players who could've given me weight on a pooltable would not play me even on a snooker table. All the things everyone has mentioned in this thread about how the table hurts the good player is correct; that's why I like it. I can protect my money better and there's nothing wrong with that. I played Miami and Horseface Harry even one-pocket on the snooker table and won, something I could not do on a pooltable at that time. Harry knew the game and Miami did not so I had the edge with Miami.

If it's a gaff game it's only because it's not played that much around the country but I've played it in 7 different rooms with many different guys (over 25 years).

I learned to play one pocket on a 5 x 10 snooker table with pool balls in 1957, playing Dado the Filipino outside of Los Angeles. Dado was stealing because I was just a straight shooting kid who didn't have a clue. A couple years later I beat him but the $$ did not stay in my pocket long. He had San Francisco Phil with him to make sure I got busted.

We played everything on those snooker tables because the two pool tables they had were terrible. There were twenty places to play that had snooker tables within 15 miles in those days and you could play three red ball snooker or golf in most of them. The only other place that I saw one pocket played on the snooker table was in Los Angeles and that was only a time or two.

lfigueroa

Verified Member

I was talking about 1pocket.

And to me, and I think most people, the essence of a gaffe game is one where the equipment changes how a game must be played to win. It is not unlike going down the midway and shooting baskets or darts -- at a carny game the basketball is over-inflated and non-regulation size, and the dart points are ground down and the balloons are under-inflated.

Lou Figueroa

KindlyOleUncleDave

Verified Member
Bigger tables ... does size really matter?

Bigger tables ... does size really matter?

"Wow, I guess I was wrong. I really should prefer a game that good players are comfortable with. After all, they need the money." Nice, Dennis. Very nice.

One pocket: 6 x 12, 5 x 10, 4 1/2 x 9, 4 x 8, 3 1/2 x 7, 3 x 6, 2 1/2 x 5 .... hardly a person on this site who would not, if hungry, match up on one of those sized tables ...... as long as it was close to even money.

Or maybe I am senile .... though I might wish to pass on the smallest two ...

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Cowboy Dennis said:
"Wow, I guess I was wrong. I really should prefer a game that good players are comfortable with. After all, they need the money."

Nice, Dennis. Very nice.

One pocket: 6 x 12, 5 x 10, 4 1/2 x 9, 4 x 8, 3 1/2 x 7, 3 x 6, 2 1/2 x 5 .... hardly a person on this site who would not, if hungry, match up on one of those sized tables ...... as long as it was close to even money.

Or maybe I am senile .... though I might wish to pass on the smallest two ...

KOUD,

I think I remember playing 1P on a 6x12 only one time and it was for fun. I also have played on a 3 1/2 x 7 and it was a whole new experience. Helluva game on a table that small. The poolplayers in this country who are in their 50's had to learn to play 1P on a 5x10 snooker table if they planned on coming to Detroit (3rd world city that it is) and playing Paul some One-Pocket. He was a big score if you could win and to my knowledge that's the game he played for big money. Of course that changed when the Rack closed, I think in 1986. I do still remember a few top players who were trying to learn the game(after 1986) on a 5x10 snooker table because they were going to play Paul. I don't know where they would've or did play.

Dennis

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
I went to my doctor's house the other day in the Netherlands, Billy Cardone knows him. I had been there before, this time I went into a den I hadnt been in before and there was a 5' long 3C table.

I had never seen such a thing in my life, he had real aramith 3C balls just like you would use on a 10' table, the cloth was real 3C cloth, the table showed signs of hours of play(the cloth was well worn). the cushions were real too, they were built for the balls, they weren't gaff bumper pool table cushions.

It was a real table for people who dont have the space for a 10' table but still want to knock the balls around, needles to say playing straight rail was VERY easy, but the 3C shots were still a bit tricky. It was the smallest "real" box I have ever seen in life. In high school we had a 6' home box, i used to rob everyone on that at school(pretty cool).

Point is there can be any size box for any game, we could build a 14X7 for one hole, and say thats the best size.

IMO onehole has been played so much on 9' boxes that thats the correct size for the game, Scotts game sure seems to be built around that size table, I bet on a 14' table would favor Ronnie Osullivan(the snooker champ). So sure we can have carnival games all the time, but proper one hole is on a 9' box and proper snooker is on a 12' box.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I went to my doctor's house the other day in the Netherlands, Billy Cardone knows him. I had been there before, this time I went into a den I hadnt been in before and there was a 5' long 3C table.

I had never seen such a thing in my life, he had real aramith 3C balls just like you would use on a 10' table, the cloth was real 3C cloth, the table showed signs of hours of play(the cloth was well worn). the cushions were real too, they were built for the balls, they weren't gaff bumper pool table cushions.

It was a real table for people who dont have the space for a 10' table but still want to knock the balls around, needles to say playing straight rail was VERY easy, but the 3C shots were still a bit tricky. It was the smallest "real" box I have ever seen in life. In high school we had a 6' home box, i used to rob everyone on that at school(pretty cool).

Point is there can be any size box for any game, we could build a 14X7 for one hole, and say thats the best size.

IMO onehole has been played so much on 9' boxes that thats the correct size for the game, Scotts game sure seems to be built around that size table, I bet on a 14' table would favor Ronnie Osullivan(the snooker champ). So sure we can have carnival games all the time, but proper one hole is on a 9' box and proper snooker is on a 12' box.

Thanks for setting us straight, I'm sure many players went into the Rack and told Paul that he must play on a 9' pooltable.

Here's a couple pics of the billiard table in the movie "Amadeus". It looks like it could be a 5' long table.

mozart.jpg
mozart2.jpg

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA
Thats the EXACT table,(WOW i'm impressed you found that!!!!) with the exception my doctors didnt have the carved wood legs near the corners, it was the plane jane version, the rails/cushions are precisely identical to those pictures, and the balls in proportion to the table looked identical. Must be a Netherlands thing, he bought it around 87 he told me, not sure but I dont believe it was new then.

Thanks for sharing that pic, I dont know why but I didnt take a pic of his table, next time I go there I will forsure.

best
eric:)