Shots, Moves, & Strategies

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Gh:eek:atser,

Shall I take your ignoring all my 'baiting', hilarious posts, (directed at you)..as a sign that you have conceded, to my obvious superiority in the following areas ;....

A-Sarcastic Humor
B-Veiled Humor
C-Any kind of Humor
D-Shot Selection
E-Verbal Debating Skills
F-General Pool Skills
G-Specific Pool Skills
H-The Ability to Hurt Your 'Feeler's'
I-Your very mediocre 'Samurai' Skills
J-My Outstanding Picture Selection(s)

K- All of the Above !..:p (your best option)

You insured me this was not the case, in our recent phone conversation...However, I feel I may have compromised your delicate 'epidermal condition' one too many times..And you appear to be in extreme "POUT MODE"...(a very common Chicago conditon)..:eek:

It has been my observation,..that doing '40 years' in Chicago pool rooms,..is NOT conduscive to a normal, healthy, mental condition...(plenty of verification there).:sorry...But, let me say this..."There, but for the grace of God,...etc".

SuperDuck <---Strikes again ! (please try and do something besides your feeble 'post modification', that is sooo '90's)

PS..Side note to OPHacker..I give lessons on the "Art of Needling"...PM me... Notice the uncanny likeness, in the picture below ! Its off the internet, but I swear it's him, and his gay cat 'Spike' :D

I like cats myself. I use to hate them until one ran into my house to get something to eat and visit one day. After I adopted her, I started to like almost all cats. They are amazing animals. Not only The Ghost and I, but Artie also likes them. I would drive that car around town also. I think it would be good on gas. I would not take it on long road trips but I would skate around town in it and even put real cats in the car with me. Most cats hate to ride in a car but a few certain ones are up for it. Of course I would have the 357 Smith in the glove compartment setting on ready with the Federal Premium Hollow Points. In this state it is perfectly ok to have a loaded handgun in the glove box so no problem there. I guess I would have the 9mm backup plan also, for the wise guys like ______-___-___-_______---___________Nothing wrong with a little puszy is there???................. Don't get on Me SuperDuck. I freely admit I can't take the abuse. Its too harsh......................And speaking of spelling. Where is Tony Green? I think he's giving spelling lessons to young blonds after the pickup line I told him about. peace out. And always remember when you do somebody wrong. It's what an old old preacher told me one time. He said "Admit it, Quit it, and Forget it" There but for The Grace Of God goes all of us SuperDuck....

TheClamp

I like cats myself. I use to hate them until one ran into my house to get something to eat and visit one day. After I adopted her, I started to like almost all cats. They are amazing animals. Not only The Ghost and I, but Artie also likes them. I would drive that car around town also. I think it would be good on gas. I would not take it on long road trips but I would skate around town in it and even put real cats in the car with me. Most cats hate to ride in a car but a few certain ones are up for it. Of course I would have the 357 Smith in the glove compartment setting on ready with the Federal Premium Hollow Points. In this state it is perfectly ok to have a loaded handgun in the glove box so no problem there. I guess I would have the 9mm backup plan also, for the wise guys like ______-___-___-_______---___________Nothing wrong with a little puszy is there???................. Don't get on Me SuperDuck. I freely admit I can't take the abuse. Its too harsh......................And speaking of spelling. Where is Tony Green? I think he's giving spelling lessons to young blonds after the pickup line I told him about. peace out. And always remember when you do somebody wrong. It's what an old old preacher told me one time. He said "Admit it, Quit it, and Forget it" There but for The Grace Of God goes all of us SuperDuck....

You know those little vending machine bouncy-balls that are made to look like pool balls ? I have two cats and bought them dozens of the pool bouncy balls and they play with them incessantly. Their favorite shot is to roll them into the slot between my fridge and dish washer..... there must be at least a full rack lost back there. When they lose them under furniture they will sit there meowing and fretting until i retrieve the ball.

Also...... I was at a buddies the other day who has a shitty old table with a ball return like a barbox has. His little cat sat in front of it the entire time we played and every time a ball rolled into the return the little puss would reach up and F**ked with them. Wish i had caught it on video.

One Pocket John

Verified Member
Fanatic,

I have not looked through it enough to give you a definitive idea of the book. But it is full of diagrams of wonderful shots pulled off by many of the greatest 1P players ever. And the short stories of how those shots came about. I'll evaluate it again on the weekend.

It was under $400 and it is a new edition, signed by Eddie Robin, the author. I don't own 'Winning One-Pocket". Yet.

Dennis

I also have SMS First Edition published in 1996. I also have W1P First Edition published in 1993. Since I always played 1P (nick name) it seemed only appropriate that I study these two great books.

W1P and practicing all of the material on Grady's tapes has knocked years off of learning the hard way.

I did learn how to play 3C not because I played the game......I needed the information to play 1P. I have a friend that I have been playing 9B with for years, dont really care for the game but it takes any fear out of firing at your hole when a shot comes up.

I am now in a long year study of playing 14.1 to improve my ball running. I have a table at home and practice everyday. I wont go back out into the field to play until 01/2013.

Sorry for the long post.:sorry

John

Last edited:

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I also have SMS First Edition published in 1996. I also have W1P First Edition published in 1993. Since I always played 1P (nick name) it seemed only appropriate that I study these two great books.

W1P and practicing all of the material on Grady's tapes has knocked years off of learning the hard way.

I did learn how to play 3C not because I played the game......I needed the information to play 1P. I have a friend that I have been playing 9B with for years, dont really care for the game but it takes any fear out of firing at your hole when a shot comes up.

I am now in a long year study of playing 14.1 to improve my ball running. I have a table at home and practice everyday. I wont go back out into the field to play until 01/2013.

Sorry for the long post.:sorry

John

First of all, that was not a long post. It took me about ten seconds to read it. Secondly you do not need to apologize even if it was a long post. Post long posts and post often if you would like too. Thirdly, I'm glad those books and tapes are knocking so many years off of your learning curve. Believe me, you need to take advantage of every trick and short cut you can lay hold of. That brings me to point number four concerning your post. Why are you refusing to go back 'out in the field' until January of next year?? Do you really think this is a good idea? I would suggest putting yourself under the gun often to improve with other players. I know you have the table at home, but I use to love playing those guys that had their own table (some of em). I just hate to see you stay at home for a year like that. That's what prompted me to write this. I would suggest practicing a lot and then gambling every day until the practice and gambling game feels close to the same. Then you can get in the groove and perform under pressure. That's the way it was for me. I was taking a full load in college and the whole time I was sitting in class, I was thinking about nothing but getting in the pool room and hitting those balls. A much older insurance man would be in there to take my money. As soon as I got use to the pressure, I got him. After that I made it a point to go after insurance people. I loved getting their 'debit money'. In fact I put 4 or 5 of those assholes back to work in the cotton mills where they belonged in the first place. Study shot selections in here and listen to champions in here (not me). Also who Is Dean Higgs and Harry Sims?? pool players?? I've been in the southeast most of the time and don't seem to recollect them....

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Harry Sims

Harry Sims

First of all, that was not a long post. It took me about ten seconds to read it. Secondly you do not need to apologize even if it was a long post. Post long posts and post often if you would like too. Thirdly, I'm glad those books and tapes are knocking so many years off of your learning curve. Believe me, you need to take advantage of every trick and short cut you can lay hold of. That brings me to point number four concerning your post. Why are you refusing to go back 'out in the field' until January of next year?? Do you really think this is a good idea? I would suggest putting yourself under the gun often to improve with other players. I know you have the table at home, but I use to love playing those guys that had their own table (some of em). I just hate to see you stay at home for a year like that. That's what prompted me to write this. I would suggest practicing a lot and then gambling every day until the practice and gambling game feels close to the same. Then you can get in the groove and perform under pressure. That's the way it was for me. I was taking a full load in college and the whole time I was sitting in class, I was thinking about nothing but getting in the pool room and hitting those balls. A much older insurance man would be in there to take my money. As soon as I got use to the pressure, I got him. After that I made it a point to go after insurance people. I loved getting their 'debit money'. In fact I put 4 or 5 of those assholes back to work in the cotton mills where they belonged in the first place. Study shot selections in here and listen to champions in here (not me). Also who Is Dean Higgs and Harry Sims?? pool players?? I've been in the southeast most of the time and don't seem to recollect them....

I dont know Dean Higgs, but I do know that Harry Sims was a nationally ranked 3 cushion player.
I made the mistake of letting a cat into the basement one winter. He is still here 3 years later. What I didnt know is that he brought his feral girl friend with him. She stayed in hiding for about 3 weeks, finally spotted her and didnt have the heart to heave her ass out -- aside from the fact that picking her up without getting scratched to death, was out of the question. My roommate, John takes care of the 2 cats now. It took a year to be able to touch the feral female. Now she is a cuddly little pussycat.
However, play with my little pup Kaiser Boy, they do not. Each crew has their own private territory.

Beard

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Talk about preparation...dedication....and patience.....1 year:eek: I'm assuming he's not my age.

By the way, very good post Jimmy.;)

Billy I.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Talk about preparation...dedication....and patience.....1 year:eek: I'm assuming he's not my age.

By the way, very good post Jimmy.

Billy I.

I agree with JimmyB and Billy I.., OPJohn...My strict practice regimen, conisted of lagging to see where the roll-offs were, and testing the rails..(one minute, tops...strange tables only)...I doubt I have "wasted" over 2 hrs. practicing, my entire life...:cool:..If you don't know where to hit the ball, after you've hit a few million of 'em, practicing is not going to save you...Unless of course, like JoeyA and John Barton,...you are always trying to learn the latest "Aiming System", (then, practicing 'til your eye's bleed, is mandatory)..:rolleyes:

OPJohn, my advice, is get in action, ASAP.... It's just like riding a bike...Besides, the world is supposed to end in Dec, 2012..(or more likely in November...If Obama is re-elected)...:eek:

SuperDuck <---Thinks practicing, is for "Rust Belt Lunatic's"..and other non-playing retards...Look at all the valuable drinking time you are pissing away..:frus

Last edited:

One Pocket John

Verified Member
Thanks for all the comments guys.

I have been playing since 1963. I got an after school job working in a pool hall at 15 making a dollar an hour. I was the "rack boy". (anyone remember)

I would work 4 or 5 hours. Table time was $0.60 an hour or $0.10 a game so I would practice using the big balls on a snooker table and give the owner back most of the money he paid me for working.

I quit playing in 2000 and just got back into pool a couple of years ago. I had to start all over again.....what a pain but I'm slowly getting back to where I was 10 years ago.

Playing in the field: Pool to me is very personal and really doesn't have anything to do with playing someone. I play the table. I guess you could say that pool for me is a hobby that I would like to be very good at.

Dean Higgs (a very strong 1P player in the St. Louis area) was my instructor and one pocket coach. Harry Sims (3C Billiard Champion) was also my instructor and taught me how to play 3C and systems.

The reason why I'm taking my time to return to the field is to reinforce my sub-conscious mind with the fundamentals, systems and feel. When I do return to the field I will not have to think about the fundamentals and be fully focused on the game. It will all just happen.

I'm 65 now and on SS. Cant afford to gamble right now.

John

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

John

OPJ,

They are great books and if I'm not too far wrong there'll be a third 1Pocket book soon, perhaps from ER & AB.

I have a couple of WOP 1st editons and a couple of 2nd editions. Have a couple SM&S's too. I also have Eddie's 3Cushion book just to complete the quadrilogy.

Good luck regaining your form.

Dennis

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
OPJ,

They are great books and if I'm not too far wrong there'll be a third 1Pocket book soon, perhaps from ER & AB.

I have a couple of WOP 1st editons and a couple of 2nd editions. Have a couple SM&S's too. I also have Eddie's 3Cushion book just to complete the quadrilogy.

Good luck regaining your form.

Dennis

do you have mr 3 cushions stuff too??......:rolleyes:
just askin.....:D

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
do you have mr 3 cushions stuff too??......:rolleyes:
just askin.....:D

Nope. I do have Hoppe's "Billiards As It Should Be Played" though. The hardcover. A terrible book to try to learn anything from. Thank god for Robert Byrnes.

3C billiards is the 1st game I would have any student learn before I taught them 9Rock, 1P or any other game. It's the only game where almost the entire focus is on where the cueball goes, at least until you learn to start playing position shots. A player who doesn't play 3Cushion does not "know" where the cueball is going, he's only guessing.