onepocket.org

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
dont know much about calvin do know he was a winner and matched up well. smart guy to pass on. vickery played solid but not top speed and was like a 20 dollar a game player for his comfort level. from up north around minnesota. dogged it when it was tough. went to all the tournaments. a quiet guy. went to jail for what bill said.
thats not louie roberts on the right.
Vickery was a very good player, cashing in many pro events and in the top four a few times, he might even of won a smaller event.

The guys behind us on the right were a whole level below us, listening, learning an soakin' it up, like we all did in the beginning. Toby/NOT/Louie Roberts' I don't think ever showed up at Red's, action was as tough as ANY event I ever went too, huge room.

Went to Red's Many times. I do remember Fat Randy and the Benny/the goose doing a chemical warfare bar table match that lasted OVER two days straight , they both enjoyed those uppers. :)

Players I remembered there.

Gabby, Brock, Buddy, Efren, Medina, Miz, all the Mexicans, Action Jackson room. Filled up all the the time with gamblers, and the TX gals came out on Fri. nights, dressed to the 11's.

I remember Medina, puffin' his chest out to play a $1,000 set with Efren he got action. Danny GOT drilled, had no chance, was fun too see em humbled in front of a packed room of his peers.

The only person to beat effie at that event was Buddy, but buddy was smart. He waited for efren to wear down after matchin' up with others that day, and dismantled effie. It's when efren first came to the states and used a different name to sneak around. Caesar Morales? Someone might remember his fake name if this is wrong.

HowardK

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
Vickery was a very good player, cashing in many pro events and in the top four a few times, he might even of won a smaller event.

The guys behind us on the right were a whole level below us, listening, learning an soakin' it up, like we all did in the beginning. Toby/NOT/Louie Roberts' I don't think ever showed up at Red's, action was as tough as ANY event I ever went too, huge room.

Went to Red's Many times. I do remember Fat Randy and the Benny/the goose doing a chemical warfare bar table match that lasted OVER two days straight , they both enjoyed those uppers. :)

Gabby, Brock, Buddy, Efren, Medina, Miz, all the Mexicans, Action Jackson room. Filled up all the the time with gamblers, and the TX gals came out on Fri. nights, dressed to the 11's.

I remember Medina, puffin' his chest out to play a $1,000 set with Efren he got action. Danny GOT drilled, had no chance, was fun too see em humbled in front of a packed room of his peers.

The only person to beat effie at that event was Buddy, but buddy was smart. He waited for efren to wear down after matchin' up with others that day, and dismantled effie. It's when efren first came to the states and used a different name to sneak around. Caesar Morales? Someone might remember his fake name if this is wrong.

Ronnie told me that he beat Efren out of $50k at Red's. He said that Efren had never played one pocket before. 2 years later, he said that Efren beat him out of $80 k. He said that he couldn't believe that Efren was able to get out of some of the impossible traps and turn them around.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Ronnie told me that he beat Efren out of $50k at Red's. He said that Efren had never played one pocket before. 2 years later, he said that Efren beat him out of $80 k. He said that he couldn't believe that Efren was able to get out of some of the impossible traps and turn them around.
That's more Ronnie BS.

Jimmy B

Verified Member

....Hail Caesar?

2021-01-08 10_10_56-1983-1984 Red's Tournaments in Houston, TX - photos by Mike Haines_photo e...png

2021-01-08 13_26_21-Photos.png

They must have been there too. I see Red's on the table light... Dallas West and Larry Hubbart

2021-01-08 10_03_45-1983-1984 Red's Tournaments in Houston, TX - photos by Mike Haines_photo e...png

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Gabby and I gambled many times in So. Ca. and he was a pure gentleman every time. He traveled with his two buddys that always dressed nice, suits and wore hats, they were not players. His favorite line after we matched up and played bout 5 times in 5 yrs was in So. Ca. 76-81 was this.
With a smile, after his 2nd and 3rd and 4th and 5th losses.....''I can't be you slim''. I'm in the background with my new $25 fellini case. Ran into a broke player (Paul Brienza) at Hard times Costa Mesa/Ether yrs and no pool player would give em more than $15, it was an $80 case & it was new at that time. He knew me, I was workin' and I said, will you take a ck for $25, he did :). A good deal for us both. Dallas West/Rockford IL next to Hubbard.

rnewkirk

Verified Member
From
Weatherford, TX

Bill, Louie was at the tourney. Saturday night he played Sammy Jones on the tight 4 1/2 x 9 Gandy at the front of Red's. Sammy shot as straight as I have ever seen him play. I think he won - had to be shooting very good ! That was the night I got jarred while playing Pittsburg John. I was sitting next to Puckett for about 3 hours after that watching Gilbert Martinez playing 1 pkt with who I don't remember. Sammy and Louie were on the table next to it.

Buddy was the only person to beat Efren. Efren had just won the tournament was worn out. Buddy(contrary to what his book says) was well rested and changed the game to 10 ball - not 9 ball. That was the edge that Buddy needed - more powerful break.

Efren, during the tournament, played Nick, Keith and and one other champ, forget who. Efren won all 3 $5000 matches - the tournament with 1st place of $10,000 and another $10,000 worth of clothes and etc. from different sponsors. Plus, all the Pinoys knew who Cesar Morales really was and was giving games on the wire on Efren's every match. Efren won every bet they made except the last one. Wade Crane was playing Efren in the finals, they were giving 2 games on the wire, Wade lost 10 - 8, but won the side bettors wagers.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Thx NUKE.... I was in action most the time.
Basically they were ''all'' there, but I don't think Varner was.
I had a big score, almost won 7 G's but found a major flaw in my handle grip and quit missed the 8 for the backroom win. I spent the remainder of the event just watching the back hands of all the greats, and corrected my ''grip''. Before I left, I played a set for $200 with my new and still same grip, won and left to CO. 3 mths later it was in place.

BrookelandBilly

Verified Member
From
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
It depresses me to say, but our excellent site here (thank you Steve Booth) onepocket.org, has lost much of it's vitality, content, and participation. And I attribute that to three things:

1. The pandemic.
2. The, now canceled, acrimonious political threads.
3. The Ghost having inexplicably dropped off the site.

- Old School

People are not going to sit on their hands waiting for pool halls to open or in the alternative walk into a pool hall or other establishment where there is a strong possibility that they are going to contract the virus. I've been spending a lot of time on the golf course where I have divided my time with pool. More so than ever now. So what's there to write about? Politics is not a substitute or an alternative subject matter for pool or any other endeavor.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
People are not going to sit on their hands waiting for pool halls to open or in the alternative walk into a pool hall or other establishment where there is a strong possibility that they are going to contract the virus. I've been spending a lot of time on the golf course where I have divided my time with pool. More so than ever now. So what's there to write about? Politics is not a substitute or an alternative subject matter for pool or any other endeavor.
I've played pool the last 6 months in several states. Idaho, Ohio, Kansas, Tennessee, Florida, Nevada, Texas, Michigan on and off, Buffaloes has been open on and off, Arizona is open. There's plenty to write about. I feel bad for the people that have lost their livelihoods and lives.

boingo

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
....Hail Caesar?

View attachment 433897

View attachment 433898

They must have been there too. I see Red's on the table light... Dallas West and Larry Hubbart

View attachment 433899
I subscribed to Pat Fleming's Accustats newsletter and devoured the numbers as they came out. Buddy Hall always stood head and shoulders above the pack; people knew his game was superior and the numbers showed it. When I read about the antics of Efren's backers( "Where's the beef?"), especially in Texas, I was amazed that they made it out of there alive. :eek:

beatle

Verified Member
efrin and jose went room to room across the country and beat the top players in their own poolrooms most of the time. no one else really ever did that.

jd67

It must have been difficult for a player like Buddy Hall to balance the after hours action with tournament play. Was he the best at balancing the gambling with tournament success?