A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words

twister

Verified Member
I know this has been discussed somewhere in the forums before, but in the "spirit" of Ghost (see what I did there), I'm bumping up some ole photos that should easily bring a smile to all: black and white photos from ~1970 in Bensinger's:

I have the book and highly recommend it for those who still enjoy physical things. Here's what the photographer, Helaine Garren, had to say about it:

“While studying photography I chose to shoot a series on Bensinger’s, a classic old-time pool hall that had been the inspiration for The Hustler. I had spent a good deal of time shooting pool there and thought the beautiful side lighting and shady characters would provide an ideal setting. I began shooting with a telephoto lens at first. I didn’t want to disrupt the concentration and social dynamics at the tables. I was there so often, though, that I became a fixture and could sit right next to the tables, and no one seemed to notice me.”

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
I know this has been discussed somewhere in the forums before, but in the "spirit" of Ghost (see what I did there), I'm bumping up some ole photos that should easily bring a smile to all: black and white photos from ~1970 in Bensinger's:

I have the book and highly recommend it for those who still enjoy physical things. Here's what the photographer, Helaine Garren, had to say about it: ...
Great pictures! Are there any of Artie Bodendorpher? I've seen ones of Freddy and the Ghost.

Thanks

J.R.

Verified Member
Great pictures! Are there any of Artie Bodendorpher? I've seen ones of Freddy and the Ghost.

Thanks
I looked at each of the 43 photographs and did not observe Artie Bodendorfer in any of them.

J.R.

Verified Member
I noticed that there wasn't a caption identifying the player for photo #08. That appears to be the late Paul Jones from Chicago. He was a very accomplished straight pool player and had more proposition bets about trivia than anyone I ever met from saying the alphabet backwards in five seconds to naming every Baseball World Series winner to naming every country in the world forwards and backwards! He died some years ago and would have been in his mid seventies if he had been alive today.