5 rack game?

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
Catkins, I think you would benefit greatly from watching Alexs approach to running the balls at this game , you shoot straight as an arrow and have everything you need to play the game very well. but in my opinion , some of your position choices are the problem.
There are a couple of concepts I think the better players use , that helps them get big numbers consistently. Like getting above the balls. Can any of you really good players elaborate please. Or am I all wrong ?
I definitely agree with this I believe one of my troubles is I feel like I over complicate sometimes and try to do to much to fast as opposed to patiently running the balls. Thank you very much for the feed back

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I definitely agree with this I believe one of my troubles is I feel like I over complicate sometimes and try to do to much to fast as opposed to patiently running the balls. Thank you very much for the feed back
I was hesitant to say anything, but I know you are serious about improving, and doing well , and you put the effort in.
I 'm glad you know I only meant it in a positive way.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Catkins, that was beautiful, very nicely done. I love your pace, very similar to John Schmidt, in which he encourages an up temple pace, along with Caras, and Mosconi.
I see you have changed up your break in that you are now going for the same side pocket as from your break side. Beautiful soft breaks with excellent spread.
That could of easily been a 40 +.
You and Dave are really keeping this thread going. I can not express how much this is appreciated!

Billy Jackets, no worries, I believe the 3 of us doing videos would not mind at all about receiving comments to help improve our game, especially from you with your experience! One thing I find helpful in video taping is that you can go back and review. And yes, I often times realize I went the wrong way with my shape. Your point is well taken! Much like 8-ball in that you take care of a grouping and find a transition ball to move to a different part of the table to take care of that grouping. In this game it can be from one side to the other side or from up table to down table, but generally I believe we all agree with getting above the balls is always a plus.
Catkins did an excellent job on playing the short side, not easy!

I got a question for you guys, you are getting a better spread than I with a soft break, are your balls fairly new. My balls are at least a couple decades old, thanks. Whitey

Last edited:

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
Catkins, that was beautiful, very nicely done. I love your pace, very similar to John Schmidt, in which he encourages an up temple pace, along with Caras, and Mosconi.
I see you have changed up your break in that you are now going for the same side pocket as from your break side. Beautiful soft breaks with excellent spread.
That could of easily been a 40 +.
You and Dave are really keeping this thread going. I can not express how much this is appreciated!

Billy Jackets, no worries, I believe the 3 of us doing videos would not mind at all about receiving comments to help improve our game, especially from you with your experience! One thing I find helpful in video taping is that you can go back and review. And yes, I often times realize I went the wrong way with my shape. Your point is well taken! Much like 8-ball in that you take care of a grouping and find a transition ball to move to a different part of the table to take care of that grouping. In this game it can be from one side to the other side or from up table to down table, but generally I believe we all agree with getting above the balls is always a plus.
Catkins did an excellent job on playing the short side, not easy!

I got a question for you guys, you are getting a better spread than I with a soft break, are your balls fairly new. My balls are at least a couple decades old, thanks. Whitey
I am actualy still lining up on the opposite side biggest change for me is using a ton of inside spin and like an 1,/8 of Tip bellow center to spin the balls out.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Dave & Catkins,
One of us is going to bust out a video of 40-40+, I can feel it. You two have come so close, and I have had a 34. I bet you guys beat me to it!
I better get back into the game of things, I am lagging behind! Whitey

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
I only get to ay on Fridays and Saturdays since I leave the house at 5 am and do t get home till 5 at the earliest monday through Thursday. I am pulling for you two and will do my best as a weekend player

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I only get to ay on Fridays and Saturdays since I leave the house at 5 am and do t get home till 5 at the earliest monday through Thursday. I am pulling for you two and will do my best as a weekend player
Yes, I/we realize this. Your weekend play is more than I have been getting in the last couple of months. That is why I say I have to catch up. But, this gives us something more to set our sights on. Whitey

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Dave & Catkins,
One of us is going to bust out a video of 40-40+, I can feel it. You two have come so close, and I have had a 34. I bet you guys beat me to it!
I didn't record it, but a couple weeks ago I had a 39 and a fairly easy shot at the 40th, but didn't realize it so I tried for difficult position and missed the shot. It was like not knowing I needed only one to win a one pocket match and tried to do too much. If you can't count, you don't deserve to win. 😢😢😤😡🤬

I wasn't going to mention it, but since you brought it up...I haven't been attempting 5 rack recently, maybe I'll get back to it.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
[YQUOTE="catkins, post: 448420, member: 196376"]
[/QUOTE]
Yes, weekend play and a tough table - you're doing great. I like watching you play.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Dave & Catkins,
Nice run of 34 Whitey, I would like to see a video of you working the racks. If it's anything like your single shot videos, it would be amazing

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
I really enjoy watching the videos and also never realized how much I enjoy filming . Ty Dave for starting this it gives me a challenge and somthing to look forward to. Also it is a very nice positive thread to watch an read.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Whitey,

I took the double kiss shot to the table as posted in Larry's thread, so while I was at the table I tried 5-rack just for fun since you brought it up. I butchered the first 3 racks as they could have been higher, but then I ran the entire 15 in the 4th rack (around the 7:50 mark I think) even though I was all over the place with the cueball.

That 15 could have easily been a 1 ball run but the QB rolled an extra inch so I had a shot. This rack had a little of everything, the full use of my large 4.75" pockets :LOL: , a bad position shot that kissed the 10 ball but was still makeable o_O, and several other lucky rolls and kisses. But I did make a couple nice banks at the end. After making 29 balls in 4 racks, I must have still been patting myself on the back as I hit a horrible break that left no shot...29 it is. This game is tough!

Here it is:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
awesome shooting Dave! That tickie on the 9 after the 10 was huge! :)

Also, double bank at the end, the 8 was beautiful...good stuff!

I hope to join you all at some point lol!