5 rack game?

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/VM7cLZtDguNEuPn9A click on videos to enlarge. This is my new break. It helps the cb coming off the foot rail, by using what is reverse english going into the rail, which is right hand english in this scenario.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/RX4dxSZPfto4jjqf6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/BcbLYZ1vYWwcXpvY7 I wanted to show this video for it represent how the corner 5 ball goes over by the hole. This really comes in handy, because from most anywhere you can combination in the 5, plus this happens a lot, and also the 5 ball has gone in fairly regular.

Well I put up 3 videos to give some idea of how the break varies depending on how the rack is contacted. I worked on this break a lot and I get a shot most always.
After I did the videos I kept on breaking and the breaks were successful.

Some more breaks to drive you guys crazy, lol! Whitey

Last edited:

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
https://photos.app.goo.gl/VM7cLZtDguNEuPn9A click on videos to enlarge. This is my new break. It helps the cb coming off the foot rail, by using what is reverse english going into the rail, which is right hand english in this scenario.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/RX4dxSZPfto4jjqf6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/BcbLYZ1vYWwcXpvY7 I wanted to show this video for it represent how the corner 5 ball goes over by the hole. This really comes in handy, because from most anywhere you can combination in the 5, plus this happens a lot, and also the 5 ball has gone in fairly regular.

Well I put up 3 videos to give some idea of how the break varies depending on how the rack is contacted. I worked on this break a lot and I get a shot most always.
After I did the videos I kept on breaking and the breaks were successful.

Some more breaks to drive you guys crazy, lol! Whitey

I like the cb action with this break, the reverse keeps it from getting stuck, keeps it moving.... I would use it, especially if the rules were a scratch ends the rack, because I don’t see you ever scratching with this break... an added bonus to this break is the spread of the balls... they really open up nicely and for the most part, they hang around, not getting very far up table... I think you found something whitey....

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I like the cb action with this break, the reverse keeps it from getting stuck, keeps it moving.... I would use it, especially if the rules were a scratch ends the rack, because I don’t see you ever scratching with this break... an added bonus to this break is the spread of the balls... they really open up nicely and for the most part, they hang around, not getting very far up table... I think you found something whitey....
Jeff,
Breaking off the side rail does add a lot of variables, and consistency can be lost. I had pretty good luck today, but when I went back out again my breaks were subpar. So I reviewed the videos of those good breaks and in those I am hitting the middle ball nicely and consistently, so I'll go out again and see if I can duplicate those good breaks.
To get the cb to double out of the corner, you need good wrist action to get that much spin, kind of a fun break.
If you use below center reverse on the cb it can scratch automatically, but with center or above center it does not.
It is hard to beat a head ball break, but I am giving this side break a thorough going over!
thanks, Whitey

Edit update; Thanks Jeff, you inspired me, so I took it back to the table and was hitting the middle ball as in the videos and was getting a successful break. I'll have to do a lot more breaks to see if this is really viable.
I did some more breaks, and what happens is that there ends up to much congestion between the cb and the scoring pocket. There seems many times that there is a solid core of balls that do not open up in the middle of the rack, plus below the stack is often times to many balls creating not a clear shot.
So at this point I can not endorse a side rail break. Maybe someone else can find that sweat spot, I have not found it yet. Whitey

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/UykZwSUokRxMfh92A click on video to enlarge.
This is the best break that I have discovered, if you are looking to make a high run up in the 30's to 40, or 40+ if you have the skill level to do so. But, probably not the break to go for a record, and/or trying to get a break 15.

To get a break 15 you can use this break and scrub off some speed on the break. You will still open up the balls, but you will have to work them more.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/xApLw1qLSVW52R4S9 the cb got bumped slightly. I ended up shooting the 5 into that 8 combo throw shot to start off this rack. Fun Shot!

This is the break I have envisioned that pro's would go to. I believe John Schmidt would go to this break, for he likes a more open table when running racks of 14.1, or if he is in a multiplayer challenge mini tournament where someone has posted a high score then he could scrub off some speed on the break, and go for it.

These two breaks were done cold turkey, and the only two shots I did this morning, so that makes me feel good about this break. Whitey

Last edited:

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
Hey whitey,

Great videos as awlays... I notice you are left handed and right eye dominate... I am the opposite. Do you know of any top level pros that tilt their head the way you do to achieve a good line of vision.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Hey whitey,

Great videos as awlays... I notice you are left handed and right eye dominate... I am the opposite. Do you know of any top level pros that tilt their head the way you do to achieve a good line of vision.
Thanks, I added another video that scrubs off some speed on the break. Nice to have you joining in. I, Catkins, and Dave are on a quest to find the golden break, if there is such a thing, but it has been fun working through this with them. Whitey

Last edited:

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
https://photos.app.goo.gl/UykZwSUokRxMfh92A click on video to enlarge.
This is the best break that I have discovered, if you are looking to make a high run up in the 30's to 40, or 40+ if you have the skill level to do so. But, probably not the break to go for a record, and/or trying to get a break 15.

To get a break 15 you can use this break and scrub off some speed on the break. You will still open up the balls, but you will have to work them more.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/xApLw1qLSVW52R4S9 the cb got bumped slightly. I ended up shooting the 5 into that 8 combo throw shot to start off this rack. Fun Shot!

This is the break I have envisioned that pro's would go to. I believe John Schmidt would go to this break, for he likes a more open table when running racks of 14.1, or if he is a multiplayer challenge mini tournament where someone has posted a high score then he could scrub off some speed on the break, and go for it.

These two breaks were done cold turkey, and the only two shots I did this morning, so that makes me feel good about this break. Whitey
Whitey, you da MAN!

Nice spread both times, this may be the golden break for running many balls for 5 rack, but not crazy about it if you wanted to run 15, but they are so open that it could work.

I've asked you this before but didn't get an answer...are you cleaning/polishing the balls regularly to help get that spread? Curious, it seems to make a difference.

Thanks again my friend. I'll check out the "Whitey" break later.

Dave

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Whitey, you da MAN!

Nice spread both times, this may be the golden break for running many balls for 5 rack, but not crazy about it if you wanted to run 15, but they are so open that it could work.

I've asked you this before but didn't get an answer...are you cleaning/polishing the balls regularly to help get that spread? Curious, it seems to make a difference.

Thanks again my friend. I'll check out the "Whitey" break later.

Dave
No I am no John Schmidt by any means. Last time I did it was to check if it affected twist banks, and yes a freshly cleaned ball will not twist bank.
I have been doing breaks so much I forgot how to shoot. So from now on I'll concentrate on this one break, plus work on pocketing balls so I can join you and Catkins in 5 rack videos. thanks for the compliment.

I wish Cincy Kid was here with me so we could have worked together on these breaks! Whitey

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Hey whitey,

Sorry, Chicago Fats I did not absorb your question.
If you are basing it on the break, I use a more 90 degree perpendicular stance to the table when breaking to free up my arm, which may make it appear that my head is more twisted.
But other than that I believe my cue is going directly under my chin. When I am in stroke and wearing contacts I get very low down on the cue, chin almost touching the cue. When I was playing for real, my stance and everything else would of been compared to Jersey Red. I also played straight legged as he did. But, other than that I do not notice other pros.
I did notice that Earl Strickland does not have his cue under his chin, but to the right of his chin. I figured he is right eye dominate. Whitey

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
I tried my first attempt at 5 rack using the Whitey break after hitting several to get the feel. I made 34 total balls after deducting the 2 I made in the side that I forgot about. Not my highest ball count, but the highest captured on video, even though they are not traditional runs.

Don't let Whitey fool you, It's harder than it looks to control the cueball using that break. He makes it look easy. Still needs work.

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
I really need t oclean my balls. I am thinking fo using the ceramic cleaner that we have for our stove top any suggestions

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
I really need t oclean my balls. I am thinking fo using the ceramic cleaner that we have for our stove top any suggestions
Here are my suggestions as I don't know what ingredients your ceramic cleaner may have. You don't want to use anything with harsh abrasive or silicone. Some believe mild soap and water does the trick, but I use one of the following:

IMG_20200826_200349599.jpg

Hope this helps.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Dave,
That put a smile on my face! I thought you would have to do a video trying that break, and sure enough. Very nice runs, a 34 and of course a few got away from you, it could have been an easy 40. Your focus is strong, and the desire might even be stronger. You made some strong shots to keep the racks alive. Your combinations were right on.
Since playing this game I am seeing the combinations much better, reading the mini breaks are coming around, and just general short shots and positioning is picking up.

You are making this look easier than it is!
Really enjoyable, thanks! Whitey

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/xApLw1qLSVW52R4S9
Dave & Catkins;
The beauty of video taping is replaying and pausing. 50 yrs. ago I broke very similar to this but easier and popping out just a few balls to start a run, and also I played to the other pocket. In reviewing this break the right pocket is setting up better than the left pocket that I played for. As noted, catkins uses this break.

**** But there again in reviewing Dave's break the balls broke open better for the pocket he was playing for, so I guess my break is universal, just got to pay attention which pocket is opening up better.

Dave, in stroking the cb for the break, I am angled down more on the cb, hitting close to center just barely below, notice where the cb tip ends up. I am using wrist snap, and probably a shorter bridge length.
-----------------------------------------------------
Cincy, you have hit 3,000 views!!!! Whitey

Last edited:

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Dave,
That put a smile on my face! I thought you would have to do a video trying that break, and sure enough. Very nice runs, a 34 and of course a few got away from you, it could have been an easy 40. Your focus is strong, and the desire might even be stronger. You made some strong shots to keep the racks alive. Your combinations were right on.
Since playing this game I am seeing the combinations much better, reading the mini breaks are coming around, and just general short shots and positioning is picking up.

You are making this look easier than it is!
Really enjoyable, thanks! Whitey
Thanks Whitey, glad your enjoying the video posts. One thing I'm seeing is that when the balls are spread open the more difficult a long run become. Too many choices maybe. For me it's more fun to work the pack to create a big run.

Maybe I'll go back to trying to run all 15 again using all the different breaks.

Thanks again

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Thanks Whitey, glad your enjoying the video posts. One thing I'm seeing is that when the balls are spread open the more difficult a long run become. Too many choices maybe. For me it's more fun to work the pack to create a big run.

Maybe I'll go back to trying to run all 15 again using all the different breaks.

Thanks again
https://photos.app.goo.gl/8eRjUYPTicWfS6dE7
Dave, I wanted to better emphasize the break. This is a break I have been working on for 8, and 10 ball, except I stroke from near center. I am more upright and stance is more 90 degree perpendicular to the table, to free up my stroking arm. I have a pretty torn up shoulder so it is hard for me to match breaks with younger opponents, especially late in the tournament when the breaks have taken a toll on my arm. But recently I have realized that adding wrist action to the break gives me the power I had lost.

As you can see I can stroke the cb ball softly and still park it. This is maybe also a break that could be utilized to challenge you in working the rack more.
I believe cleaning the balls such as you have created the great spread you are getting on the break. I'll try cleaning in combination with the soft break!

I hope this is helpful in controlling the cb if you decide to work with this break. Mixing up breaks is best when just practicing anyway, to keep interest up. Whitey

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/mJdxhk7Mz5Gzstap7
My cloth is also not a high speed cloth. This in combination with older balls might be contributing to getting less spread than Dave gets. Dave was having problems with spread so I wonder what changed!

I use 409 sprayed onto a rag, wipe the balls, then dry rag them. Next I use liquid turtle wax as directed. It does not have a ingredient list, so not sure if it has silicone or not, I would suspect not. I also use 409 to clean off the grim on my cue stick. I just lightly spray it on a rag and then work it in then rub it on the cue rigorously and wipe dry rigorously. It comes out pretty surprisingly nice. But, work it into the rag so it does not go on heavy on to the cue, you do not want to flood it and possibly raise the wood.

I went and shot the 9 in on this rack, and wow what a difference in draw. You can obtain approx. 15 degree more angle coming back off the ob when cutting vs. non clean balls. As the wax wears off it comes down to about 10 degree - 7 degree advantage.
This is why I think John Schmidt high run should have an asterisk, for when you are out of shape to get properly on the next ball by drawing it then you can still recover since the balls are always clean. I notice this happening a lot when watching him going after the record.

The asterisk being; the balls were being continually cleaned. Just my opinion.
It is unrealistic any way for in a tournament the balls are not cleaned that much, and of course this would have some effect upon John's play.

It makes a huge difference in those scenarios, and an advantage of course that Mosconi did not have.
Of course no matter what he did pocket the balls, providing it stands up to review, I believe it is still under review by a commission.

It used to be it had to be a sanctioned BCA event to establish a record. There have been a few high runs but they were not recognized by the BCA. So I do not know if this is still a factor, I think not! Whitey

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
OnePocket.org
5 Rack One Pocket
The Game:
a player is challenged that within 5 racks they have to score a predetermined x-amount of balls in their declared foot pocket to win the game.
Mini Tournament Game: played by multiple players. The game is won by the player that scores the highest score in 5 racks. Buy back is an option.
The Break: there are no break requirements. The cue ball is played as it lays unless a scratch/foul occurs then it is -1pt w/BIH-BTL, rack continues. Any neutrally pocketed balls or an owed ball are to be spotted once all other balls have been scored.
Alternative Breaks: 1. a scratch/foul is -1pt. and ends rack. 2. upon breaking the player receives BIH anywhere.
Continuing Rack: any scratch/foul or a miss shot ends the rack.
*** any further/alternative game rules are to be determined between opponents or event administrative authority ***

Steve, your suggestion to make it a meme showed great insight, and obviously is the right direction to go. Now we need your input to finalize this if in fact OP.org is going to adopt it, and lead the way in the development of this game rule.
thanks! Whitey

Last edited:

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Catkins, I think you would benefit greatly from watching Alexs approach to running the balls at this game , you shoot straight as an arrow and have everything you need to play the game very well. but in my opinion , some of your position choices are the problem.
There are a couple of concepts I think the better players use , that helps them get big numbers consistently. Like getting above the balls. Can any of you really good players elaborate please. Or am I all wrong ?