1998 Buddy Vs Jeremy Jones

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
wincardona said:
Buddy has a very threatening position and Jeremy has a more solid position. I understand that by rolling the 3 ball and loosening up the two balls in front of jeremy's pocket is appealing, especially if you can roll on the one and eight balls. But that's not an easy shot either. And if you don't get there Buddy will be able to clear your pocket and really put you in trouble. But I agree it's probably a game winner if you're able to do it.

Lets look at this situation from another prospective. If the shot I described is available and Jeremy can clear Buddies pocket that's the shot I would choose for several reasons. Like I mentioned and what is apparent is that Jeremy's position is much stronger than Buddies position, especially if he can clear Buddies pocket. After clearing Buddies pocket Buddy really doesn't have a good shot to clear Jeremy's pocket considering how the balls are positioned. So Jeremy will be able to keep control of his strong position and imo will develop it from there.

There really isn't much urgency for Jeremy to play the aggressive shot and open up the balls in front of his pocket, providing the take out shot that I described is available, for the reasons I believe to be true. Patience in this situation will prevail for Jeremy, because of the way the balls are positioned.

Billy I.

What shot would you shoot Billy?

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
wincardona said:
Buddy has a very threatening position and Jeremy has a more solid position. I understand that by rolling the 3 ball and loosening up the two balls in front of jeremy's pocket is appealing, especially if you can roll on the one and eight balls. But that's not an easy shot either. And if you don't get there Buddy will be able to clear your pocket and really put you in trouble. But I agree it's probably a game winner if you're able to do it.

Lets look at this situation from another prospective. If the shot I described is available and Jeremy can clear Buddies pocket that's the shot I would choose for several reasons. Like I mentioned and what is apparent is that Jeremy's position is much stronger than Buddies position, especially if he can clear Buddies pocket. After clearing Buddies pocket Buddy really doesn't have a good shot to clear Jeremy's pocket considering how the balls are positioned. So Jeremy will be able to keep control of his strong position and imo will develop it from there.

There really isn't much urgency for Jeremy to play the aggressive shot and open up the balls in front of his pocket, providing the take out shot that I described is available, for the reasons I believe to be true. Patience in this situation will prevail for Jeremy, because of the way the balls are positioned.

Billy I.

I believe that Buddy chose the wrong shot after the balls were broken. He should of realized that Jeremy's position was easier to develop from where Buddy decided to put him, than it would be for Buddy after Jeremy shot.

Billy I.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Artie Bodendorfer said:
What shot would you shoot Billy?
Artie, in post#20 I clearly described that I would clear Buddies pocket and the reasons why. Go back to post #20 and read it carefully and see if you agree or disagree. Thanks.

Billy I.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
wincardona said:
Artie, in post#20 I clearly described that I would clear Buddies pocket and the reasons why. Go back to post #20 and read it carefully and see if you agree or disagree. Thanks.

Billy I.

Your saying shoot one sold ball into the otheir solid ball and hit it with highball.

And the cue ball will stay behind the nine ball. Or the nine ball will go tho Jeromy Jones as pocket.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Artie Bodendorfer said:
Your saying shoot one sold ball into the otheir solid ball and hit it with highball.

And the cue ball will stay behind the nine ball. Or the nine ball will go tho Jeromy Jones as pocket.
Almost, i'm saying I would bank the solid ball into the side of the 6 ball and carom into the 9 ball with a low ball. The 9 ball should go to my side of the table high toward the side rail. I don't like using a high ball because you tend to scratch too often, with the follow you put on the cue ball.

Billy I.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
wincardona said:

Billy I.
I like clearing Buddies pocket, and from there out moving him shouldn't be a problem considering how the balls are positioned.

Billy I.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
wincardona said:
Almost, i'm saying I would bank the solid ball into the side of the 6 ball and carom into the 9 ball with a low ball. The 9 ball should go to my side of the table high toward the side rail. I don't like using a high ball because you tend to scratch too often, with the follow you put on the cue ball.
That's probably what JJ shot, although he's a very savvy player. I assume when you suggest JJ should clear Buddy's pocket with that shot, that he should have the CB roll up to the second or third diamond on Buddy's side. Otherwise Buddy would clear JJ's hole, and JJ would lose his advantage.

Doc

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
gulfportdoc said:
That's probably what JJ shot, although he's a very savvy player. I assume when you suggest JJ should clear Buddy's pocket with that shot, that he should have the CB roll up to the second or third diamond on Buddy's side. Otherwise Buddy would clear JJ's hole, and JJ would lose his advantage.

Doc
Doc, one of the reasons I liked the shot that Jeremy shot was that Buddy cannot clear up jeremy's side after Jeremy shoots because of how the balls are positioned. If you read my post I clearly said that after Jeremy clears Buddies pocket Buddy cannot clear Jeremy's pocket and Jeremy should be able to out move Buddy because of that.

Now Buddy is at the table and he really can't clear Jeremy's side, i'm curious to see what he does. Jeremy should be able to out move Buddy from this position. That was one of the strengths of Jeremy clearing Buddies pocket, opposed to your shot of rolling the 3 ball into the ten and two balls.

Billy I.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
wincardona said:
Doc, one of the reasons I liked the shot that Jeremy shot was that Buddy cannot clear up jeremy's side after Jeremy shoots because of how the balls are positioned. If you read my post I clearly said that after Jeremy clears Buddies pocket Buddy cannot clear Jeremy's pocket and Jeremy should be able to out move Buddy because of that.

Now Buddy is at the table and he really can't clear Jeremy's side, i'm curious to see what he does. Jeremy should be able to out move Buddy from this position. That was one of the strengths of Jeremy clearing Buddies pocket, opposed to your shot of rolling the 3 ball into the ten and two balls.

Billy I.

If I were Buddy I would shoot the stripe on the foot rail and try to follow the cue ball underneath the 2 ball frozen to the 2 ball. If he doesn't move the stripe on the foot rail and plays some sort of a safe shot off the 2 ball Jeremy will then shoot off the stripe and reposition the cue ball up table and put Buddy in trouble. But then again there are other ways Jeremy can go up table with whitey. Buddies in a lot of trouble, I don't like his chances.

Billy I.

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
rather than going shot by shot for this match lets just say jeremy was eventually able to loosen the 2 balls by his pocket. buddy tried to clear them got a double kiss and jeremy ran 7
the score now is later in the same game jeremy 7 buddy 1
its buddys shot
bj16.jpg

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
wincardona said:
If I were Buddy I would shoot the stripe on the foot rail and try to follow the cue ball underneath the 2 ball frozen to the 2 ball. If he doesn't move the stripe on the foot rail and plays some sort of a safe shot off the 2 ball Jeremy will then shoot off the stripe and reposition the cue ball up table and put Buddy in trouble. But then again there are other ways Jeremy can go up table with whitey. Buddies in a lot of trouble, I don't like his chances.
Yeah, the 10-2 is one of those "damned if you do, damned if you don't" headaches for Buddy. JJ can't make the balls as they lay, but it's very difficult for Buddy to clear them out.

They're such a headache that Buddy might have rolled up on the 10-2, just to re-position them for a take out later. For example, bumping the 10 off the rail and trying to freeze on the 2; or near it by the hole.

The 5 ball two-railer was just prolonging the predicament. If he didn't want to re-position the 10-2, rather than two-rail the 5 ball, he might have taken a swing at the straight back on the stripe near the head spot, and try to leave whitey on the head rail.

Doc

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
lll said:
leaving jeremy like this
View attachment 2733

You brought us to this juncture of the match and I would like to see what Jeremy did from here to put Buddy in a position to sell out.

He probably did something simple and Buddy tried to move the 10 and 2 balls some way and sold out.

Lets go back to where Buddy had three balls in front of his hole and it was Jeremy's shot. Jeremy could of shot Doc's shot and tried to roll the 3 ball into the 10 and 2 balls to try to put pressure on Buddy and possibly win the game there. But the reason I believe he didn't choose that shot was the very reason that won him an opportunity to run the 7 balls that he did and possibly the game. HE REALIZED THAT THE WAY THE BALLS WERE POSITIONED (particularly the 10 and 2 balls) Buddy was going to have a fit trying to move them. That's the reason I would of liked to see how Jeremy put Buddy in the position that Buddy had problems with.

There's a lot to be learned about certain ball positions that we can use to win games with. This situation was a good example.

The single most important shot in this game goes to Jeremy for making the decision to clear Buddies pocket. That was the winning shot, imo.
Billy I.

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
lll said:
buddy chose to 2 rail the 5 and get on the 2 like this
View attachment 2732
From this position it looks inevitable that Buddies going to get screwed. Buddy can't fool with the 10 and 2 balls and he must try to position the cue ball underneath the 2 ball froze to the 2 ball.
But there is another shot here that is unorthodox, i'll describe it and offer a possible scenario.

How about shooting the 15 ball warp speed, the ball positioned on the foot rail. Your objective is to shoot the 15 ball into the balls on Jeremy's side of the table and hopefully move a couple of those balls to a position where Jeremy will have to defend against Buddy using them as balls to drop under the 2 and 10 balls with.

Hopefully this shot will develop options for Buddy at a later time that will enable him to escape the trap.

If Buddy leaves the balls like they are it's inevitable that he will lose, so I think that this situation calls for an unorthodox shot that could very likely work out. Buddy should try to take advantage of the tied up balls(10 and 2 balls)now that he has a chance too while there tied up. By moving as many balls as he can to possibly change the forecast of things to come.

FACT, every ball that Buddy can position either oh his side of the table or somewhere near center table, Jeremy will be forced to defend against on his next shot. Buddy shooting this shot will cut down on Jeremy's options. And that just might be enough for Buddy to escape with.
Billy I.

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
wincardona said:
You brought us to this juncture of the match and I would like to see what Jeremy did from here to put Buddy in a position to sell out.

He probably did something simple and Buddy tried to move the 10 and 2 balls some way and sold out.

Lets go back to where Buddy had three balls in front of his hole and it was Jeremy's shot. Jeremy could of shot Doc's shot and tried to roll the 3 ball into the 10 and 2 balls to try to put pressure on Buddy and possibly win the game there. But the reason I believe he didn't choose that shot was the very reason that won him an opportunity to run the 7 balls that he did and possibly the game. HE REALIZED THAT THE WAY THE BALLS WERE POSITIONED (particularly the 10 and 2 balls) Buddy was going to have a fit trying to move them. That's the reason I would of liked to see how Jeremy put Buddy in the position that Buddy had problems with.

There's a lot to be learned about certain ball positions that we can use to win games with. This situation was a good example.

The single most important shot in this game goes to Jeremy for making the decision to clear Buddies pocket. That was the winning shot, imo.
Billy I.
Billy
ill post more tonight when i get home .
you will get to see it shot by shot:)
one suggestion from the booth was for jeremy just to make the six for buddy and leave it like that. the more knowledgeable commentator:D called the clear out shot

bstroud

Verified Member
lll said:
rather than going shot by shot for this match lets just say jeremy was eventually able to loosen the 2 balls by his pocket. buddy tried to clear them got a double kiss and jeremy ran 7
the score now is later in the same game jeremy 7 buddy 1
its buddys shot
View attachment 2734

From this position I would bank the stripe straight back and play position on the 5 ball. It looks like none of the ball on Jeremys' side will go straight in so it would be safe. If it goes and he gets position he could be back in the game.

Bill Stroud

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
lll said:
buddy chose to 2 rail the 5 and get on the 2 like this
View attachment 2732

Buddy made a poor choice off shots banking thr 5 ballewo rails he helped Jeromy Jones position.

Budy should have banket the ball to his pocket in the middle off the tablr from the other end off yhr table.

And left the cue ball on the end rail.

And Jeromy would have still been on defense.