Practice with Purpose Part 1

bstroud

Verified Member
I am asked all the time. “How do I practice for one pocket?” “What shots should I practice?” What moves do I practice?” If you have the patience to follow along I will teach you.

When I was young and in high school I was forced to take Latin. I hated it but one part of it has stayed with me all my life. That part was Caesars’ account of his many battles. His most famous book C. IVLI CAESARIS COMMENTARIORVM DE BELLO GALLICO LIBER PRIMUS tells all about his campaign against the Galls. The first line reads “Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres.” Translated that means “Gall is divided into three parts. The point to this story is:

Pool is divided into TWO parts. Practice and playing. Practice is for learning. Playing is for winning. If you learn nothing else from this exercise- learn that. It is the most important thing about pool you will ever learn.

All the time I see players practicing one pocket against themselves. They shoot at one pocket and then the other pocket. This is absolutely the wrong was to practice. Why? Because it is impossible to develop any leverage against ones’ self. Your mind simply won’t permit it.

How then do you practice for one pocket productively? First and foremost you learn to play Bank Pool.
“Why do I need to do that?” you might ask. In a single word. Confidence.

Many years ago I was at the Johnston City Tournament. There was a big ring 10 ball game going on with Jimmy Moore, Eddy Taylor and other great players. Alfie Taylor was in with Eddy. For over one hour Eddy never had an open shot (he was following Moore) and they only had about three barrels left.

Finally Jimmy Moore missed the 10 ball. He left it frozen to the end rail and left the cue ball out near the side pocket. Eddy had only an end rail bank but he could not reach it right handed. He walked to the other side of the table and left handed warped it straight back into the corner. Now THAT is confidence.

There will be many times playing one pocket that you will face a bank of some kind that is a must make. Miss it and you lose. That is why you need confidence.

I know Bank Pool is a difficult and frustrating game for some players but if you do what I say you will learn to love it. This is an exercise I learned from Eddy Taylor.

Rack 10 balls. Break. Pick up the cue ball and choose any bank. Shoot the bank and play position for another bank. If you miss the bank or do not get the position you were trying for, set it up again. If you make it and get position keep shooting. When you miss pick up the cue ball again and continue.

Now comes the most important part. Set a goal for yourself. Two in a row. Three in a row. Eight in a row. Always have a goal when you practice and keep moving it forward to challenge yourself. Without a goal the mind will get bored. Practice will become useless.

This kind of healthy practice trains your subconscious mind for success. It convinces your subconscious that you can indeed perform that task ahead of you. It produces confidence. Now when you have a straight back bank for all the marbles and have bet the room rent, you can make it.

Now that we have conquered Bank Pool let’s move on the next thing we need to practice. Straight Pool. I can hear the groans already. I don’t particularly like it either but no other pool games teaches you to run balls in the upper pockets better or faster.

Set up a break shot that you like and start to run balls. Once again set a goal. Ten no count. Thirty no count. Fifty no count. It doesn’t matter except that it in right for you. Don’t set the goal so high that you always fail. First set it where you can succeed and gradually move it up. It is necessary to teach your subconscious that you can accomplish what you are trying to do. That is how you build confidence.

After an hour or two of that I’m sure you are ready for something else. Let’s take a look at how you should approach one pocket. I believe there are two distinct types of one pocket players. Aggressive and Passive. It depends on your personality, the conditions under which you learned to play, your confidence level and a variety of other factors.

I am an aggressive player. I want to win by running balls, making banks and shooting shots. That is my personality. That is who I am in all walks of life. Every time I go to the table my first thought is to get a ball in my pocket and also get position on another ball so I have a change to run out. If I cannot accomplish my first priority then I try to move as many balls as possible toward my pocket. If I can’t do that then I try to move one ball toward my pocket and leave the cue ball as difficult as possible.

Since this thread is about how to learn through practice let’s take a look at the worst case scenario and how to deal with it. To me at least the shot I hate most in one pocket is the Duck-The totally defensive shot. No chance to be creative. All you can do is hide the cue ball and stay alive for another inning. This is one of the hardest shots to practice because many times you are thinning a ball or caroming off a ball before you can hide the cue ball.

Over the years I have found a few ways to practice these very difficult shots. Some of you have probably heard of a game called English Billiards. It is played on a 6x12 snooker table with two cue balls and a red ball. You make points with billiards or caroms and also what the Brits call the inoff. The inoff is what is most important here. You score an inoff by shooting your cue ball into one of the other balls and making it go into the pocket.

How can that be remotely important to one pocket? Because once you have mastered the inoff into that pocket you have mastered the inoff NOT into the pocket. Through practice and experience you can carom the cue ball off another ball and around and behind your opponent’s ball that is very near their pocket

Think that’s not powerful? Let me tell you a little story. Everyone knows who won the most one pocket tournaments at Johnson City. Boston Shorty Not many people know who was second. Not Clem, nor RA not even Taylor. It was Luther Lassiter. He didn’t play one pocket at all but he did one thing very well. He would leave the cue ball in his opponents pocket better and more often than anyone else. He would make you shoot your own ball away from your own pocket. If you learn the inoff, you can do it too.

End of Part 1

Bill Stroud

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
bstroud said:
I am asked all the time. “How do I practice for one pocket?” “What shots should I practice?” What moves do I practice?” If you have the patience to follow along I will teach you.

When I was young and in high school I was forced to take Latin. I hated it but one part of it has stayed with me all my life. That part was Caesars’ account of his many battles. His most famous book C. IVLI CAESARIS COMMENTARIORVM DE BELLO GALLICO LIBER PRIMUS tells all about his campaign against the Galls. The first line reads “Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres.” Translated that means “Gall is divided into three parts. The point to this story is:

Pool is divided into TWO parts. Practice and playing. Practice is for learning. Playing is for winning. If you learn nothing else from this exercise- learn that. It is the most important thing about pool you will ever learn.

All the time I see players practicing one pocket against themselves. They shoot at one pocket and then the other pocket. This is absolutely the wrong was to practice. Why? Because it is impossible to develop any leverage against ones’ self. Your mind simply won’t permit it.

How then do you practice for one pocket productively? First and foremost you learn to play Bank Pool.

Many years ago I was at the Johnston City Tournament. There was a big ring 10 ball game going on with Jimmy Moore, Eddy Taylor and other great players. Alfie Taylor was in with Eddy. For over one hour Eddy never had an open shot (he was following Moore) and they only had about three barrels left.

Finally Jimmy Moore missed the 10 ball. He left it frozen to the end rail and left the cue ball out near the side pocket. Eddy had only an end rail bank but he could not reach it right handed. He walked to the other side of the table and left handed warped it straight back into the corner. Now THAT is confidence.

There will be many times playing one pocket that you will face a bank of some kind that is a must make. Miss it and you lose. That is why you need confidence.

I know Bank Pool is a difficult and frustrating game for some players but if you do what I say you will learn to love it. This is an exercise I learned from Eddy Taylor.

Rack 10 balls. Break. Pick up the cue ball and choose any bank. Shoot the bank and play position for another bank. If you miss the bank or do not get the position you were trying for, set it up again. If you make it and get position keep shooting. When you miss pick up the cue ball again and continue.

Now comes the most important part. Set a goal for yourself. Two in a row. Three in a row. Eight in a row. Always have a goal when you practice and keep moving it forward to challenge yourself. Without a goal the mind will get bored. Practice will become useless.

This kind of healthy practice trains your subconscious mind for success. It convinces your subconscious that you can indeed perform that task ahead of you. It produces confidence. Now when you have a straight back bank for all the marbles and have bet the room rent, you can make it.

Now that we have conquered Bank Pool let’s move on the next thing we need to practice. Straight Pool. I can hear the groans already. I don’t particularly like it either but no other pool games teaches you to run balls in the upper pockets better or faster.

Set up a break shot that you like and start to run balls. Once again set a goal. Ten no count. Thirty no count. Fifty no count. It doesn’t matter except that it in right for you. Don’t set the goal so high that you always fail. First set it where you can succeed and gradually move it up. It is necessary to teach your subconscious that you can accomplish what you are trying to do. That is how you build confidence.

After an hour or two of that I’m sure you are ready for something else. Let’s take a look at how you should approach one pocket. I believe there are two distinct types of one pocket players. Aggressive and Passive. It depends on your personality, the conditions under which you learned to play, your confidence level and a variety of other factors.

I am an aggressive player. I want to win by running balls, making banks and shooting shots. That is my personality. That is who I am in all walks of life. Every time I go to the table my first thought is to get a ball in my pocket and also get position on another ball so I have a change to run out. If I cannot accomplish my first priority then I try to move as many balls as possible toward my pocket. If I can’t do that then I try to move one ball toward my pocket and leave the cue ball as difficult as possible.

Since this thread is about how to learn through practice let’s take a look at the worst case scenario and how to deal with it. To me at least the shot I hate most in one pocket is the Duck-The totally defensive shot. No chance to be creative. All you can do is hide the cue ball and stay alive for another inning. This is one of the hardest shots to practice because many times you are thinning a ball or caroming off a ball before you can hide the cue ball.

Over the years I have found a few ways to practice these very difficult shots. Some of you have probably heard of a game called English Billiards. It is played on a 6x12 snooker table with two cue balls and a red ball. You make points with billiards or caroms and also what the Brits call the inoff. The inoff is what is most important here. You score an inoff by shooting your cue ball into one of the other balls and making it go into the pocket.

How can that be remotely important to one pocket? Because once you have mastered the inoff into that pocket you have mastered the inoff NOT into the pocket. Through practice and experience you can carom the cue ball off another ball and around and behind your opponent’s ball that is very near their pocket

Think that’s not powerful? Let me tell you a little story. Everyone knows who won the most one pocket tournaments at Johnson City. Boston Shorty Not many people know who was second. Not Clem, nor RA not even Taylor. It was Luther Lassiter. He didn’t play one pocket at all but he did one thing very well. He would leave the cue ball in his opponents pocket better and more often than anyone else. He would make you shoot your own ball away from your own pocket. If you learn the inoff, you can do it too.

End of Part 1

Bill Stroud

You left out a minor detail these two players also played in more tournemys then anyone else too. But with out a dought they were both great players. And Shorty was a great all around player.

Even snooker and 3 cushion. Shorty played everything real good. And whimpy was great at all games. But I never herd off him playing Three Cushion or snooker.

His nine ball game was as good as you can get.

And The other two players I would put in his class are Efern and Buddy Hall. But Alex and 2 or 3 off the Philpinos and Shane and Earl Billy Incardona Don willes and other players.

Are wright thier and you could probobly put 20 or 30 players in the same class Even Harold worst. Bit the more you think about great nine ball players the bigger the list gets.

In bank pool the two people who come too my mind are Bugs and Eddie Taylor. Straight pool Willie Mosconie and Ralp Greenleaf. Even though Jimmy Caaras beat Willy more times in tournements then willy beat him.

In one pocket I would say that the field was bigger and better then today. And when Eferen was in his prime not taking anthying away from him.

But the one pocket field was very weak. And the great players were all not playing theier top game any more. Like Ronnie Bugs Corn Bread Jersy Red lefty Boston Shorty Detroite Whity Taylor Clem Rags Big Nose Roberts Mike Carilo. Even Grady and Steve Cooks game was going down.And more.

Thier were only a few players around that played thier good speed Hopkines Cliff Parica and I cant think off his name he played all games good. But those were realy the only ones that played in that clas. And thats a very small field.

In snooker I likt Joe Davies and Chiner. Three Coushion Willy Hoppie Harold Worst and Raymond Culimans. Even though thier are people in the same class.

Nine ball on the bar I liket Matlock. Big cue ball on the bar playing nine ball I like Danny Madeno. One handed I like Goose a Tate Ronnie Taylor and in nine ball little sergio from california.

All around Harold Worst Thats pool 3 cushion and snooker. Boston Shorty Joe procita. But thier have been many great players and they are forgotten because nobody wrote about them or seen them play.

And to say one player was the best at one game can never be proven. And 40 and 50 years ago players didnt get much exposure. And people didnt even no who is who. Like today everyone knowes everyone

And who all the best players are. Thats why I said the need to put the old players in the hall off fame who desirve it. Because time will forget about them and pas then by.

It is not my hall off fame and they are not going too do what I would do. But thats ok too.

Because I give tem credit the try and the are doing what they think is fair and thats what the want too do. And I think thier doing a terrific job.

Sometimes it takes time. And you cant do it over night. My point was too do it before they are forgotten completly. Because time will do that.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
bstroud said:

End of Part 1

Bill Stroud
GREAT POST:)
IM WAITING FOR PART 2

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
lll said:
IM WAITING FOR PART 2[/QUOT

I never meet a personality player How does a personality player play. If the person he is playing has no personality.

THen they have too play for caracter. I think Freddys personality will change a little when he reads you beat him 12 games in a row. I hope he handals it.

But I will be with Freddy Because I no already what he is going to say. And I did not talk too him. But just for proffesinsl Cortisy are thier any people who will varavie that.

I never new Freddy had enough money too loose 12 games in a row. You didnt beat him on a 5 by 10 pool table in bensingers did you. Were did you beat him.

THe only place I could even think off it had too be at the Golden eight ball.

I no it wasant in DEt or Florida or CAl. So that comes back too BEnsingers or the golden eight ball. Im a pretty good guesser.

You didnt play in any off the tournements in Johnson City. And I guee you hustled by youreself. While in collage.

Were did you beat MIzrack. In NY playing what game.

Steve Cook were did you beat him?

And you beat Grady too.THat must have been in SF or Colorado.

WAs Jersey Red over the hill when you played him? I guess you didnt play in DEt.

Because you didnt mention any pl;ayers from thier.

DEt was a hard town too miss If you liket gambling and action.

So you only played pool for a short time. How olc were you when you started playing.

Were did you start playing pool. Your going back too playing pool. That means you made too much money making cues.

Were are you going too start playing. Maybe you figured out how too make a cue that never misses and now you are going too take it all off.

Do you gamble at other games beside pool? You have been away from pool for 50 years that means you made a lot off cue sticks.

If I mention you name can I get a great cue for half price. Since I am in the senior citezen program.

I am so smart when I quite playing I gave my Balabuscka away Free. You no any normal person would do that.

But You only have one life and one chance too live it. And doing what you enjoy is worth more than all the gold in China.

Life is temparary ant what we have does not belong too us. We only get too use it.

And if you spend all youre money. You will learn that living with out money is what makes you rich.

You didnt no I failed all my classes and I was voted the head off the student councel.

I got a few breacks my music teacher said if I didnt sing she would pass me. And My German

Teacher let me sleep in my German class because I new German better then the teacher.

And I would take off one day a week every week.

And wright my own note why I missed school. And I signed my dads name on the note.

I dont no off any other kids that had that move.

And I never got caught.

School is great but when you figure out at age 15 how too make 3 times a week that the teachers are making you have too ask youself what am I doing her.

School is good only if you learn domething.

That why in Eouope if you donr like school at the age off 16 the teach you a trade.

And in germany people are paid higer for being a trades man then any were in the world.

When people would ask me whats my job or ocupation I would say I sell hair pines too baldheaded women.

But I enjoyed hustling and traveling all over. It teaches you a lot about life and people.

THe one thing that I reinforced that thev rich Familes and the Goverment still get all the money.Nothing has change to help the poor or elderly or the progams.

And the schools the poor people pay for everything so the rich Familes can get richer

And they run the whole show and own all the banks And the goverment. And the Federal Reservev and control the budget and the stock market.

And the stock market can only go up because they dont want too pay any interst too the poor. They have it all figured out.

And its sickining. And people are too buissey working and suporting thier family to see whats going on.

bstroud

Verified Member
Artie Bodendorfer said:
lll said:
IM WAITING FOR PART 2[/QUOT

Artie, you ask a lot of questions.

I never meet a personality player How does a personality player play. If the person he is playing has no personality.

I really have no answer for this one.

THen they have too play for caracter. I think Freddys personality will change a little when he reads you beat him 12 games in a row. I hope he handals it.

Freddy already knows and has handled it very well.

But I will be with Freddy Because I no already what he is going to say. And I did not talk too him. But just for proffesinsl Cortisy are thier any people who will varavie that.

I never new Freddy had enough money too loose 12 games in a row. You didnt beat him on a 5 by 10 pool table in bensingers did you. Were did you beat him.>

It was at Beanies' room in DC. Freddy went to get money 3 times. We were playing for 20.00 a game and he owed me for the last game. He is the only player to ever pay me what he owed me. THATS' real character.

I no it wasant in DEt or Florida or CAl. So that comes back too BEnsingers or the golden eight ball. Im a pretty good guesser.

You didnt play in any off the tournements in Johnson City. And I guee you hustled by youreself. While in collage.

I ony took two trips with other players. Puckett and Eddy Taylor.

I played Miz in Newark Delaware. We played 9 ball for 350.00 a game. Goose was staking him. I put so much heat on him that he gave a guy 50.00 to go the the store and buy him some shorts. We broke even playing 9 ball.
The I played him one pocket. I beat him easily. So easily in fact that he reminded me of it every time I saw him.

Cleveland Ohio. Broke him playing one pocket.

I did beat Grady in Colorado Springs along with Swanee and Howard Akita.
Almost never played pool in those days. Grady had a room there and I never went. I should have gone more often.

WAs Jersey Red over the hill when you played him? I guess you didnt play in DEt.

It was in his room in Houston. He would only play for 20.00 a game and I considered it a chance for me to learn more one pocket. I would say that he was no longer at his top speed.

I only went to the Rack once and it was before the real action. There was no one for me to play. I played a lot on the bar table in those days. As Surfer always said." That's where all the money is." I beat some guy called "Pouchie" playing 8 ball in the bar.

So you only played pool for a short time. How olc were you when you started playing.

I actually started on a little wood carom board with 4 net pockets in the corners. It had little wooden sticks to shoot the rings with. I was 4 years old. When I was 6 I got a real 3.5x7 pool table. We were poor and I had no money for felt. My mother covered it with green corduroy. I play on that table every day until I left home at the age of 14.

Were did you start playing pool. Your going back too playing pool. That means you made too much money making cues.

I really started to become a good player in Dallas at age 15. I have made a lot of money making pool cues. More than most Doctors make.

Were are you going too start playing. Maybe you figured out how too make a cue that never misses and now you are going too take it all off.

I wish it was that easy. I know to play well it takes 8-10 hours of practice and play every day.

Do you gamble at other games beside pool? You have been away from pool for 50 years that means you made a lot off cue sticks.

I do not gamble. I do not consider playing pool for money gambling. I am betting on my skill and judgement.

If I mention you name can I get a great cue for half price. Since I am in the senior citezen program.

Sorry, no free cues.

I am so smart when I quite playing I gave my Balabuscka away Free. You no any normal person would do that.

But You only have one life and one chance too live it. And doing what you enjoy is worth more than all the gold in China.

Boy, are you right about that. I have really enjoyed making pool cues all these years. It is time to move on now.

Life is temparary ant what we have does not belong too us. We only get too use it.

And if you spend all youre money. You will learn that living with out money is what makes you rich.

You didnt no I failed all my classes and I was voted the head off the student councel.

I got a few breacks my music teacher said if I didnt sing she would pass me. And My German

Teacher let me sleep in my German class because I new German better then the teacher.

And wright my own note why I missed school. And I signed my dads name on the note.

And I never got caught.

School is great but when you figure out at age 15 how too make 3 times a week that the teachers are making you have too ask youself what am I doing her.

School is good only if you learn domething.

That why in Eouope if you donr like school at the age off 16 the teach you a trade.

And in germany people are paid higer for being a trades man then any were in the world.

When people would ask me whats my job or ocupation I would say I sell hair pines too baldheaded women.

But I enjoyed hustling and traveling all over. It teaches you a lot about life and people.

THe one thing that I reinforced that thev rich Familes and the Goverment still get all the money.Nothing has change to help the poor or elderly or the progams.

And the schools the poor people pay for everything so the rich Familes can get richer

And they run the whole show and own all the banks And the goverment. And the Federal Reservev and control the budget and the stock market.

And the stock market can only go up because they dont want too pay any interst too the poor. They have it all figured out.

And its sickining. And people are too buissey working and suporting thier family to see whats going on.

Bill Stroud

One Pocket John

Verified Member
Thanks for the great article Bill.

I have never played bank pool. But after reading your article, banks will be incorporated into my training regiment as will straight pool.

The admistrator should make this thread a sticky. It would be a nice place for newbie one pocket players to start.

Waiting for part 2

John
St. Louis

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
One Pocket John said:

I have never played bank pool. But after reading your article, banks will be incorporated into my training regiment as will straight pool.

The admistrator should make this thread a sticky. It would be a nice place for newbie one pocket players to start.

Waiting for part 2

John
St. Louis

This is one off the most unrealistick things that I have ever read. You people must all be brain dead. What pool player is going too learn banks before he learns too shoot balls in the pocket.

If Billy Incardone agrees with this that you shouls learn too bank before you learn too shoot. I will not post for a month and he can relax then.

If he agrees too this and even post it for a player thsts enough for me. I will not be a part of stupitity and have it out thier for a beginner too start with.

To bank before you learn too shoot is insaine. And I handle crazey people real good. And if this hapins you lost me. Because I have never herd anything dumber then this.

And Willy Mosconie said the only way he would bank a ball if he had nothing too shoot at. And I no this is about one pocket. And banks is important.

Too learn too bank before you learn to shot is in another universe.
I dont no one player that started playing banks before they learn too make a ball.

People who start from the beginning cant even hit the ball on the right side imafine them trying too bank a ball. It would never happen.

And if people want to give thier reply fine. Even if its redicoulos Like a macy shot on the two ball. Because they have nothing else too say.

And people agree. Thats not for me. And I will not give my time too particepating in stupitity and the ignorence involved. And on top off that to tell a biginer that is what he should do.

If this is what you want too suport Ignorence and stupitity fine. But I will not be a part off this. And help make the game a joke and tell people what the should learn first banking over shooting.

This too me is the worst thing I have ever herd that a person should learn to do first learning too play one pocket.

And for people to agree with this is hurting the game. And I am not her for that reason. Or even insulting the players who are in the hall off fame. And they are a part off this because they are on the site.

I ts not my decision and whatever choice you make so be it. It will not so anything too me one way or another.

But what this has tought me that some has too no make a decision on what to put in her for people who want too lear.

And too put something tlike this on the site and people learning too play should learn to bank before the learn too shoot. Is like teaching a baby to run before he can crawl.

You win the cupy doll and the person that agrees can get two cupy dools.

I never new people could go brain dead and the followers get brain damage following.

I would give out first prize for this as the dumbest thing you could do fiirst learning too play one pocket.

Its hard enough for people too learn the correct way. No the insanity has gone to learning the wrong way first.

I guess I have been saying too learn too think . Well lets realy get stupit and tell people not too think.

I think we have finaly found the answer too one pocket how too play one pocket. Do all the wrong things and dont think and you will be the worst player.

And then you will no howe not too play. And you will be the best not too play plater in the world.

bstroud

Verified Member
One Pocket John said:

John
St. Louis

John,

I am certainly not suggesting that you start to learn pool with banks. What I am saying is that if you already play one pocket well you can benefit from the practice regime I recommend.

Bill Stroud

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
bstroud said:
John,

I am certainly not suggesting that you start to learn pool with banks. What I am saying is that if you already play one pocket well you can benefit from the practice regime I recommend.

Bill Stroud[/QUOTE

Billy S dont change what you said. Dont make youresef a lier. Or I eill pick you apart. Because the things you say are incorrect and the stories you are saying are daughtfull.

I really dont waht too go there but I will. I remember you when you were in Bensingers and you just say thier and didnt even move . And for days I never seen you play.

And you say you beat yhis guy and that guy. Who did you beat all dead people and gohsts.

And you remember every little detail and time. After not playing for 40 years.
Your intentions may be good but the things you are saying about the game. are not correct and some are redicoulous.

Maybe because you have been away too long. You remember so much. You forgot how too play the game off one pocket.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Artie Bodendorfer said:
This is one off the most unrealistick things that I have ever read. You people must all be brain dead. What pool player is going too learn banks before he learns too shoot balls in the pocket.

If Billy Incardone agrees with this that you shouls learn too bank before you learn too shoot. I will not post for a month and he can relax then.

If he agrees too this and even post it for a player thsts enough for me. I will not be a part of stupitity and have it out thier for a beginner too start with.

To bank before you learn too shoot is insaine. And I handle crazey people real good. And if this hapins you lost me. Because I have never herd anything dumber then this.

And Willy Mosconie said the only way he would bank a ball if he had nothing too shoot at. And I no this is about one pocket. And banks is important.

Too learn too bank before you learn to shot is in another universe.
I dont no one player that started playing banks before they learn too make a ball.

People who start from the beginning cant even hit the ball on the right side imafine them trying too bank a ball. It would never happen.

And if people want to give thier reply fine. Even if its redicoulos Like a macy shot on the two ball. Because they have nothing else too say.

And people agree. Thats not for me. And I will not give my time too particepating in stupitity and the ignorence involved. And on top off that to tell a biginer that is what he should do.

If this is what you want too suport Ignorence and stupitity fine. But I will not be a part off this. And help make the game a joke and tell people what the should learn first banking over shooting.

This too me is the worst thing I have ever herd that a person should learn to do first learning too play one pocket.

And for people to agree with this is hurting the game. And I am not her for that reason. Or even insulting the players who are in the hall off fame. And they are a part off this because they are on the site.

I ts not my decision and whatever choice you make so be it. It will not so anything too me one way or another.

But what this has tought me that some has too no make a decision on what to put in her for people who want too lear.

And too put something tlike this on the site and people learning too play should learn to bank before the learn too shoot. Is like teaching a baby to run before he can crawl.

You win the cupy doll and the person that agrees can get two cupy dools.

I never new people could go brain dead and the followers get brain damage following.

I would give out first prize for this as the dumbest thing you could do fiirst learning too play one pocket.

Its hard enough for people too learn the correct way. No the insanity has gone to learning the wrong way first.

I guess I have been saying too learn too think . Well lets realy get stupit and tell people not too think.

I think we have finaly found the answer too one pocket how too play one pocket. Do all the wrong things and dont think and you will be the worst player.

And then you will no howe not too play. And you will be the best not too play plater in the world.

Am I missing something here? Why would you imply that I agreed with learning to bank before you learn to shoot? Where have I ever said that? I have not only never said that but I have never heard any one say that. But I do agree that learning to bank well will help all your other games.

Billy I.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Artie Bodendorfer said:
Billy S dont change what you said. Dont make youresef a lier. Or I eill pick you apart. Because the things you say are incorrect and the stories you are saying are daughtfull.

I really dont waht too go there but I will. I remember you when you were in Bensingers and you just say thier and didnt even move . And for days I never seen you play.

And you say you beat yhis guy and that guy. Who did you beat all dead people and gohsts. ...

...I just want to state for the record, that I am not one of the gohsts that Bill S. beat..:cool:...:D

Your intentions may be good but the things you are saying about the game. are not correct and some are redicoulous.

Maybe because you have been away too long. You remember so much. You forgot how too play the game off one pocket.

....Gohsty

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
One Pocket Ghost said:
....Gohsty
And where have you been through this storm? Where were you when I needed you?

Dont pretend that you dont know what i'm talking about, and yes I am upset with you.

All of a sudden you decide to appear, make your presence felt, every now and then. Thank you.

Billy I.

bstroud

Verified Member
Artie Bodendorfer said:
bstroud said:
John,

Bill Stroud[/QUOTE

Artie,

You don't seem to be able to handle the truth. Just go back and read my post.

Artie,

That is the highest complement you could ever give a pool hustler.

And you say you beat yhis guy and that guy. Who did you beat all dead people and gohsts.

Artie,

It is very clear that we have very different approaches to the game of one pocket. I think more like Billy Incardona. I am an active player. You are a passive player. If I had to wait around on my front porch for Bambi to walk up the driveway so I could shoot her in the eye with a pellet gun I would have given up playing pool before I even started. I want to win by playing. Not by waiting.

Bill Stroud

Rodan

Verified Member
Artie Bodendorfer said:
=== redicoulos Like a macy shot on the two ball ====

=== particepating in stupitity and ignorence ====

=== insaine === redicoulos === realy stupit ===

a joke === insanity === worst thing I ever herd

=== brain dead === dumbest thing you could do

=== You win the cupy dool

You people must all be brain dead. What pool player is going too learn banks before he learns too shoot balls in the pocket.

This is an example of what killed alt.sport.pool and rec.sport.billiard.

Whenever anyone, like Bill Stroud, had the courtesy and courage to post heartfelt suggestions intended to promote the enjoyment of pool among others, some disgruntled individual would awaken to leap up and post an
objecting ( and objectionable) response. The response invariably
presented no practical alternatives to the suggestions; intead, it
presented only name-calling, name-calling and more name-calling.

With the passage of time, no one dared to say anything for fear of
arousing a hate-filled attack with offensive characteriizations
and communiation died.

Of course I want to learn banks first. The reason I took up one pocket
is because I was told that I didn't have to shoot balls into the pocket;
that if I would just roll the balls up close enough to the pocket my opponent would shoot them in for me.

Rodan. < - - - waiting for his cupy dool

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Rodan said:

This is an example of what killed alt.sport.pool and rec.sport.billiard.

Whenever anyone, like Bill Stroud, had the courtesy and courage to post heartfelt suggestions intended to promote the enjoyment of pool among others, some disgruntled individual would awaken to leap up and post an
objecting ( and objectionable) response. The response invariably
presented no practical alternatives to the suggestions; intead, it
presented only name-calling, name-calling and more name-calling.

With the passage of time, no one dared to say anything for fear of
arousing a hate-filled attack with offensive characteriizations
and communiation died.

Of course I want to learn banks first. The reason I took up one pocket
is because I was told that I didn't have to shoot balls into the pocket;
that if I would just roll the balls up close enough to the pocket my opponent would shoot them in for me.

Rodan. < - - - waiting for his cupy dool

Well, I don't know about anybody else, but I believe that due to your admirable concern for positive and constructive "communiation" between posters...you do in fact, deserve to be awarded a "cupy dool"....:)

- Ghost

PS, I've always loved you in that movie from back in the day, Rodan vs. Godzilla, where you kicked Godzilla's ass...:D

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
wincardona said:
And where have you been through this storm?
Billy I.

The Ghost is too weary to be a stormtrooper any longer.

- Ghosty <-------Needs to be in sunny skies, with a tropical breeze, steady One Pocket action, and a frozen Margarita in hand...:)

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
One Pocket Ghost said:
The Ghost is too weary to be a stormtrooper any longer.

- Ghosty <-------Needs to be in sunny skies, with a tropical breeze, steady One Pocket action, and a frozen Margarita in hand...:)

Then how are you going to move like a ghost if you're incognito.? What fun is that? Plus you'll lose your credibility, where will you go?

Billy I.

gingerbread_man

Artie Bodendorfer said:
You left out a minor detail these two players also played in more tournemys then anyone else too. But with out a dought they were both great players. And Shorty was a great all around player.
Even snooker and 3 cushion. Shorty played everything real good. And whimpy was great at all games. But I never herd off him playing Three Cushion or snooker.

His nine ball game was as good as you can get.

And The other two players I would put in his class are Efern and Buddy Hall. But Alex and 2 or 3 off the Philpinos and Shane and Earl Billy Incardona Don willes and other players.

Are wright thier and you could probobly put 20 or 30 players in the same class Even Harold worst. Bit the more you think about great nine ball players the bigger the list gets.

In bank pool the two people who come too my mind are Bugs and Eddie Taylor. Straight pool Willie Mosconie and Ralp Greenleaf. Even though Jimmy Caaras beat Willy more times in tournements then willy beat him.

In one pocket I would say that the field was bigger and better then today. And when Eferen was in his prime not taking anthying away from him.

But the one pocket field was very weak. And the great players were all not playing theier top game any more. Like Ronnie Bugs Corn Bread Jersy Red lefty Boston Shorty Detroite Whity Taylor Clem Rags Big Nose Roberts Mike Carilo. Even Grady and Steve Cooks game was going down.And more.

Thier were only a few players around that played thier good speed Hopkines Cliff Parica and I cant think off his name he played all games good. But those were realy the only ones that played in that clas. And thats a very small field.

In snooker I likt Joe Davies and Chiner. Three Coushion Willy Hoppie Harold Worst and Raymond Culimans. Even though thier are people in the same class.

Nine ball on the bar I liket Matlock. Big cue ball on the bar playing nine ball I like Danny Madeno. One handed I like Goose a Tate Ronnie Taylor and in nine ball little sergio from california.

All around Harold Worst Thats pool 3 cushion and snooker. Boston Shorty Joe procita. But thier have been many great players and they are forgotten because nobody wrote about them or seen them play.

And to say one player was the best at one game can never be proven. And 40 and 50 years ago players didnt get much exposure. And people didnt even no who is who. Like today everyone knowes everyone

And who all the best players are. Thats why I said the need to put the old players in the hall off fame who desirve it. Because time will forget about them and pas then by.

It is not my hall off fame and they are not going too do what I would do. But thats ok too.

Because I give tem credit the try and the are doing what they think is fair and thats what the want too do. And I think thier doing a terrific job.

Sometimes it takes time. And you cant do it over night. My point was too do it before they are forgotten completly. Because time will do that.
What does any of this other than what is in red have to do with Bill's initial post? The answer is nothing.

Artie Bodendorfer said:
Seriously? When did anyone say they had never played pool before and were going to START with banks? You need to look up the definition for the word INCORPORATE. For lack of a better one word answer it means to ADD, as in "incorporate or ADD" bank pool to an already existing practice regime which already includes shot making.

Artie Bodendorfer said:

I never new Freddy had enough money too loose 12 games in a row. You didnt beat him on a 5 by 10 pool table in bensingers did you. Were did you beat him.

And I never got caught.

School is good only if you learn domething. Quitting school is'nt good because you learn domething's

This is absolutely obserd, way out of left field. What does any of this have to do with anything in this thread. You obviously have some personal vendetta with Bill and have decided to hijcak this thread. Thank god you have left AZbilliards because this would be a nightmare over there........like it was once already.

This is in response to the highlighted red area. Making good money sounds good and is good but a fifteen year old who quits school to make "3" times what the teachers are is doing nothing more than signing their own fate away. Eventually to be stricken to a life of mispelled words and ridiculous post's in thread's where they have no idea what they are talking about nor does anyone else.

Artie Bodendorfer said:

Since you like to quote things why dont you quote the pat where Bill said "LEARN TO PLAY BANK POOL BEFORE LEARNING TO SHOOT".

Artie Bodendorfer said:
If Billy or anyone for that matter can prove anything thing I have stated is wrong I will one up you and NEVER post on here again

Last edited: