US Open One Pocket at Griffs?

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
I appreciated your commentary on Sunday and my comments earlier I still stand by. I tend to things frustrating about commentary in one pocket, insulting the players and talking about how boring the game was. But more to the point I think it was a well run tournament but expect more from a tournament that is supposed to be the number 1 open tournament in the united states. I really wish that the entrance was higher and there where 128 spots and all the races where race to at least 5. I would like to see the event be something really special not just a well run tournament if that makes sense.

rnewkirk

Verified Member
From
Weatherford, TX
Well Jimmy B. I live in Tucson and you can be the first player. I did not appreciate the negative comments after volunteering in the booth for 12-14 hrs on Sunday and then come on this site and get blasted by your “monkey ass”!
Where do you play in Tucson ? My wife has quite a few relatives there.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
12Squared, thanks for the peace keeping comments. I really have no problem with someone criticizing my commentary it has happened many times before on YouTube and other sites. I realize I’m not everyone’s cup of tea and where the negative comments were directed. There were other negative comments throughout the thread and I guess I was a bit on the sensitive side when it looked like they included the TD who I thought did a fabulous job running that tournament in the allotted time. BUT for Jimmy to fire back with “your little monkey ass” and then offering to ”send players”......well, that just fired me up a bit. A man steps up to take care of his business, not hire it out. It was a great weekend where I was a little disappointed in a couple of my matches, the long drive from Vegas and then reading Some of the comments. Guess you can say I was frustrated. I apologize if I offended anyone but I still don’t care to be called “a little monkey ass”.
Gotcha, thanks.

Gum9Ball

From
Tucson, AZ.
I appreciated your commentary on Sunday and my comments earlier I still stand by. I tend to things frustrating about commentary in one pocket, insulting the players and talking about how boring the game was. But more to the point I think it was a well run tournament but expect more from a tournament that is supposed to be the number 1 open tournament in the united states. I really wish that the entrance was higher and there where 128 spots and all the races where race to at least 5. I would like to see the event be something really special not just a well run tournament if that makes sense.
Thank you and I sure hope you don’t think I insulted any player nor said the game is boring but you do have some valid points. As for 128 player field with a higher entry and a race to 5, you are now talking a much longer time frame than a weekend and a larger venue. There are only 10 tables at Griff’s and something bigger would require renting out a venue and bringing in 24+ tables, space and seating for spectators and if you are going to have any chance of showing a profit, gate charge.

MattRosendaul

Verified Member
Sad to see that the tournament we started in 1994 doesn’t have the same flavor it did in Kalamazoo. I think we had a distinct advantage in our location exactly between Detroit and Chicago. We always wanted to keep the entry fee low enough for anyone to enter so it was truly an “open”. Additionally, the zoo was a cheap place to visit where you could easily get a motel room for about $40 and meals for less than $10 (back in the day).

Maybe what the U.S. Open One Pocket needs is to get back into the Midwest. Maybe greater Chicago. I’ll see what I can do!

BRLongArm

Verified Member
The event had 37 players last year and promises to have more this year, with four events going on in the same place and increased prize funds. I have criticized Griffin in the past but his events this year look great. Hard to find fault. Vegas is a location to get to anywhere in the country, he has a nice place and the players have four chances to make money.

Last edited:

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I was at Grifs a few years ago and SVB won it. I had the top four finishers in the pot. It is too small a place for a “US” championship. It should have at least 64 but he has the “rights”

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
For a commentator to talk about how boring it is, is NO announcer, get off the air. I have announced quite a few games and if I’m not up to it, I wont do it. If you’re not excited about a match, rest, let someone else do it. I have done marathon broadcasting. You get beat. Still no excuse for doing a poor job.