Snooker ball action, vs pool ball, vs 3 cushion balls.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
billy
i contacted dr dave
and i have his permission to post this
"Cue sport balls of all sizes (and similar material quality) should react the same way concerning carom angles, throw, the 90 degree and 30 degree rules, etc., assuming the weights of the CB and OB are the same."

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
billy
i contacted dr dave
"Cue sport balls of all sizes (and similar material quality) should react the same way concerning carom angles, throw, the 90 degree and 30 degree rules, etc., assuming the weights of the CB and OB are the same."
There you go, folks. Straight from the expert. I would add, though, that the balls should be of the same composition. Also I PM'd Bob Jewett to see if he'd like to comment.

There's still the question of whether different size/weight cuetips would cause different reactions on different sized cueballs. My guess is that a 13mm tip would cause more squirt on a 2-1/8" CB than it would a 2-1/4" or 2-3/8" CB. If that's true then a guy using his 13mm cue to play snooker would notice a difference in using sidespin in contrast to when shooting a pool cueball.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
billy
i contacted dr dave
Thanks! That's what I thought , but my brain sometimes deceives me.
Although with him being a part of the scienterific community , if he went against Newton , they wouldn't allow him to use his slide rule any more, in public. So there's always that.

Kybanks

Verified Member
There you go, folks. Straight from the expert. I would add, though, that the balls should be of the same composition. Also I PM'd Bob Jewett to see if he'd like to comment.

There's still the question of whether different size/weight cuetips would cause different reactions on different sized cueballs. My guess is that a 13mm tip would cause more squirt on a 2-1/8" CB than it would a 2-1/4" or 2-3/8" CB. If that's true then a guy using his 13mm cue to play snooker would notice a difference in using sidespin in contrast to when shooting a pool cueball.

All this is confusing me! Lol. The smaller a shaft is the more spin you get. The bigger the shaft the easier it is to find center cb. That's my take anyways.

Bob Jewett

Verified Member
From
Berkeley, CA
One of my problems when I play three cushion is the cue ball goes with the English instead of deflecting. I usually use extreme English and I usually hit the object ball a little thicker than I want until I make an adjustment. Maybe someone else knows why, but I think it’s the weight of the billiard balls compared to the pool balls. Or maybe it’s the composition of the balls. Let’s hear some ideas. ...
A heavier ball deflects less because the "end mass" of the cue stick is less compared to the mass of the larger ball. It still deflects, but it can seem like negative deflection when your brain is calibrated to what the ball should be doing.

Bob Jewett

Verified Member
From
Berkeley, CA
I think a lot of the differences that people notice between the three games are due to the cloth and cushions rather than the balls themselves. Trying to move the cue ball around on a snooker table with fuzzy cloth and a dirty cue ball can seem impossible compared to the same path on a carom table with new, heated cloth and a polished cue ball.

As Dr. Dave said, the basic interactions of the balls off each other are going to be very close to the same, assuming the same material is used in the balls. I have a set of ivory carom balls and they play very, very differently.

Another factor is that even if you are used to spinning a carom ball or a pool ball, if you only play snooker occasionally, you won't be used to the tip position to get spin on a snooker ball. I used to play a 100 runner at snooker and he could get jaw-dropping action on the cue ball. One example: I bet him he couldn't put the cue ball in the jaws of a corner pocket and pot the blue off its spot (perfectly straight shot) and scratch (he called it an in-off). He did it on the eighth try -- with draw -- with an open bridge. I was happy to pay the bet.