Gary Spaeth's famous double cross corner bank unraveled!

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
5 really good players played in the big bank game at Side Pockets. I didn't play in it much as it was a sure loser for me. We also had a B game which I was a regular or we played 1-9 bank partners where you could play with different skill levels like Buddy or Eddie etc.. while having a chance.. The two top bank players in the room for 20 yrs were Buddy Hall and Eddie Moore with Eddie being slightly better than Buddy. Eddie still plays at 70, is in great shape and is still a beast. 6 months ago he beat Justin Bergman a big bank set. We also have Tony "Fargo" in our area who grew up with Eddie and Dickie the owner. He wasn't allowed to play because he had history with Dickie and of course Sky is from here. Dickie was a ex national Amatuer champion who also played pretty good banks. Truman would come down and they would play which was fun to watch and Dickie would play anybody who came through one pocket. So when I say local rules I'm not talking a scrub game...

Kybanks

Verified Member
5 really good players played in the big bank game at Side Pockets. I didn't play in it much as it was a sure loser for me. We also had a B game which I was a regular or we played 1-9 bank partners where you could play with different skill levels like Buddy or Eddie etc.. while having a chance.. The two top bank players in the room for 20 yrs were Buddy Hall and Eddie Moore with Eddie being slightly better than Buddy. Eddie still plays at 70, is in great shape and is still a beast. 6 months ago he beat Justin Bergman a big bank set. We also have Tony "Fargo" in our area who grew up with Eddie and Dickie the owner. He wasn't allowed to play because he had history with Dickie and of course Sky is from here. Dickie was a ex national Amatuer champion who also played pretty good banks. Truman would come down and they would play which was fun to watch and Dickie would play anybody who came through one pocket. So when I say local rules I'm not talking a scrub game...

I came through Paducah years ago looking to play, Dickie stepped up and played me some 1 pocket. After $400 he pulled up and quit. Seemed like a nice guy. My buddy played Smitty some full rack banks. We left with a decent take on the first day.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Dickie was a good friend. His game started going away about 10yrs ago. I think all the drink and smoke was getting to him. After he couldn't even beat me even playing one pocket anymore he just quit playing.

Smitty was a player in the big bank game back then. He'd stay afloat until the whiskey bottle started getting empty...lol He's still the exact same way and I play him banks at the Elks when nobodys around. He can't drive and couldn't anyway so I take him home a lot. He lives out in the country a few miles from me.. He won the 9 ball tournament today...lol

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1633912131066.jpg
    FB_IMG_1633912131066.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 15

Kybanks

Verified Member
Dickie was a good friend. His game started going away about 10yrs ago. I think all the drink and smoke was getting to him. After he couldn't even beat me even playing one pocket anymore he just quit playing.

Smitty was a player in the big bank game back then. He'd stay afloat until the whiskey bottle started getting empty...lol He's still the exact same way and I play him banks at the Elks when nobodys around. He can't drive and couldn't anyway so I take him home a lot. He lives out in the country a few miles from me.. He won the 9 ball tournament today...lol

Smitty said he would bet more if my buddy took a shot after every game! Lol. We were there in 2002. From what I remember the pockets on those gold crowns were cut weird but the tables played real soft.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
If you beat Dickie playing one pocket almost 20 yrs ago you must play pretty good.. Buddy gave him 9-7 back then when he could play.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Here's how you make it 3 rails. You can do it cross corner too. If you watch the video he explains gearing etc
I made the shot after 3 misses. I tried it at first with simple low CB, but on the one I made, I used low right, so I couldn't attest to the guy's "gearing" theory. It might be easier on a fast table. It's a good shot to know for bank pool.

Kybanks

Verified Member
I made the shot after 3 misses. I tried it at first with simple low CB, but on the one I made, I used low right, so I couldn't attest to the guy's "gearing" theory. It might be easier on a fast table. It's a good shot to know for bank pool.

I first saw this three timer at the Derby. Cliff Joyner was playing Richie R. The same object ball position but Cliff made it 3 times cross corner. It blew my mind that he made it. I sat and watched them play for 2 or 3 hours and Cliff shot another 3 times cross corner but the object ball was a half inch off the end rail. He ran out on top of that one. Damndest thing I ever saw. Maybe 2001 or 2002.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I first saw this three timer at the Derby. Cliff Joyner was playing Richie R. The same object ball position but Cliff made it 3 times cross corner. It blew my mind that he made it. I sat and watched them play for 2 or 3 hours and Cliff shot another 3 times cross corner but the object ball was a half inch off the end rail. He ran out on top of that one. Damndest thing I ever saw. Maybe 2001 or 2002.
Yeah, Cliff has always been very inventive. He's come up with some 1P shots that have found their way into the repertoire. I made the shot 3 rails up and back long-wise, but haven't had much with it cross corner. I play on a rather wet Diamond Pro Am with blue label rails.

Kybanks

Verified Member
Yeah, Cliff has always been very inventive. He's come up with some 1P shots that have found their way into the repertoire. I made the shot 3 rails up and back long-wise, but haven't had much with it cross corner. I play on a rather wet Diamond Pro Am with blue label rails.

Cut it a hair more with less inside, maybe a half a tip of inside and a dead stunned cb.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/g4Bsgoz4WBRGf6Bf9 just no way to do Gary's shot where my rails are more responsive.
Whitey
JB mentioned he might video a few banks yesterday, so I asked him to shoot this one along with the 3 railer. Don't know if he will do it as he removed the post so something else might have come up..
None of the banks you showed in your video will go on any table as far as I know so your alignment is off.
Before you can turn one off the second rail...line one up that will actually go...
Call me so I can explain it to you. I messaged you my number..

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
John, I am trying to do Gary's double bank in a location where my rails are more lively.
I back cut the ob to the long rail, just like Gary did in his shot.
You cut the ob to the left, it then rolls over itself with some clockwise spin that carries to the opposite side rail, and thus comes back for the double bank.
On my table it will not grab that much where the rails are more responsive.

On Gary's shot, the ob is closer to the foot rail than the cb, as I portrayed the shot when I made it. This is the same way I set it up on for the side pocket.
So the center of the table (center line) would replicate the foot cushion.
Whitey

Last edited:

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
They are farther off the rail than it looks and he didn't cut it to the left as much as you lined them up.
Add that to a new, old red label diamond and he could probably cut it a hair more and still stiff the ball off the first rail more than I can, but I'll try here in a few mins on my buddy's valley with 4-1/8 " pockets.
The whole key to what your missing is where the object ball hits the second rail. It was stiffed almost straight across with high speed and rail compression.

Reactions: lll

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
The center of the object ball is 1/8" above the point. Cue ball is 1/8" " above that. I did this to beat the kiss with the smaller pockets. The table they were playing on most likely had 4-1/2 pockets so it was about right 1/8 high
I hadn't hit a ball in a month and was scared to hit one hard. But I can tell you for a fact I can turn a ball at a steeper angle than this shooting harder on a diamond.
I made it every time I didn't double kiss. First video I double kissed both shots, second one I made it first try.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
If you watch the video
Garys ball hit more than alittle bit up the short rail
Meaning he could turn that ball alot

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
The center of the object ball is 1/8" above the point. Cue ball is 1/8" " above that. I did this to beat the kiss with the smaller pockets. The table they were playing on most likely had 4-1/2 pockets so it was about right 1/8 high
I hadn't hit a ball in a month and was scared to hit one hard. But I can tell you for a fact I can turn a ball at a steeper angle than this shooting harder on a diamond.
I made it every time I didn't double kiss. First video I double kissed both shots, second one I made it first try.
Nice shooting john
😃👍

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
If you watch the video
Garys ball hit more than alittle bit up the short rail
Meaning he could turn that ball alot
Exactly and I can turn a ball way better from quite a bit lower on a diamond when I can swing my cue harder. Plus the table is foot wider with good felt and live rails.

You just need to have shot them a bunch to get the feel for the shot.. If you play bank at all these are pretty common shots you learn along your journey. I played banks in a bank pool room for 20 yrs. Still a old guy B player though:)