What's the List of 3C players that played OP!

sneakynito

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
Didn't Rafael Martinez play some 3c? He was creative as hell in one pocket and often in the commentary I'd hear it attributed to his 3c background.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Didn't Rafael Martinez play some 3c? He was creative as hell in one pocket and often in the commentary I'd hear it attributed to his 3c background.
I forgot about him. He played a little better than Marvin and Kelly. He came to the Chicago Billiard Café, gave him 7 & break on 35. He weighed in for about $6 or 8 hundo.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
It is so hard to imagine that Irish is not somehow in our OP hall of fame.
Carry on, Guys!
thanks, Whitey
Wow, I hadn't heard all those stories, although I knew that Lineen was a feared 1P player. Seems like every year I campaign to get him in the HOF, but he's too unknown for most of the members. Even if there's no one of Lineen's family to present the award to, it still seems like we oughta put him in. And another one for sure is Johnny Vevis. He won the first J. City 1P.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I would rather see some guys that are alive get in, the dead ones can always be added later. I doubt they will care.

OldSchool

Verified Member
As far as modern times: 90's - 2000's - Marco Marquez is at the top of the list for best 3cushion playing/top speed pool players. In say,1995, leaving out Efren, I can't think of any pool player who would have liked it, playing Marco a combined set of 9ball, one pocket, and 3cushion.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I would rather see some guys that are alive get in, the dead ones can always be added later. I doubt they will care.
You make a good point, Billy. But for awhile we'd have a modern player and an old timer. Actually there aren't that many recent/current players who qualify; whereas there are a few guys from the past who are deserving.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Here is my list:
John 'Rags' Fitzpatrick
Johnny 'Irish' Lineen
Minnesota Fats
Eddie Robbins
Boston Shorty
Harold Worst
Marvin Henderson
Artie B.
Efren Reyes
there are a host of others but this is all that I can confirm, and know of.
In the 50's 3C was starting its decline in popularity. In my research I found that 'yes' Mosconi and Crane entered 3C competitions. I believe this was in an effort to boost the sport. They actually did quite well. Earlier in '24 Greenleaf played a challenge match with Hoppe in balkline and it was close 600-527.

Others can fill in a lot more names than I have on this list.

The bottom line is that 3c players bring a lot to the table when it comes to OP!
Carry on! Thanks, Whitey

Last edited:

rich htx

Verified Member
From
Houston TX
local pros like ernesto manny alex tommy riche play 3c
alex is said to play it very well, though no idea of where his average might be

sneakynito

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
Houston has a really good 3c scene if you're ever around. Venture towards the SW side of town where there are tons of asian businesses and you'll find several really nice Vietnamese rooms. Lots of big heated tables and great food. Get yourself a Heineken on ice and some dried squid and you're all set.
problem is its on ten foot tables and no room for them in the modern pool room.

hard to learn and get good if there may be none in your whole state to play on.
you are lucky if there is one within an hours drive unless you are in a big city

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
As far as modern times: 90's - 2000's - Marco Marquez is at the top of the list for best 3cushion playing/top speed pool players. In say,1995, leaving out Efren, I can't think of any pool player who would have liked it, playing Marco a combined set of 9ball, one pocket, and 3cu
He played well.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Hoppe and Greenleaf played, 3 CUSHION, in 24! Hoppe was still mainly playing balkline.

From the NY Times.

HOPPE INCREASES 3-CUSHION LEAD; Wins by 50-22 and 50-26 Against Greenleaf, Making 100 Points in 90 Innings.​

Sept. 26, 1924

On September 22, 1924 Willie Hoppe, the world's balkline champion (who later took up three-cushion with a passion), and Ralph Greenleaf, the world's straight pool title holder, played a well advertised, multi-day match to 600 points . Hoppe was the eventual winner with a final score of 600–527.

Averaging better than carom an inning, Willie Hoppe, world's 18.2 balkline champion, greatly increased his lead over Ralph Greenleaf, world's pocket billiard title holder, in their 600-point three-cushion match yesterday, winning the afternoon block at 50 to 22 and the evening game at 50 to 26.

If this was an 18.2 balkline match, the score would be more like, 600-200 or less!

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Nice find, Whitey. It's a damn shame the folks lost interest in billiards after Hoppe died. And too, the size of the tables were probably prohibited. I have seen smaller billiard tables, but not in the U.S.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Nice find, Whitey. It's a damn shame the folks lost interest in billiards after Hoppe died. And too, the size of the tables were probably prohibited. I have seen smaller billiard tables, but not in the U.S.
Doc, all Asian rooms in the USA have 8' or 9' along with 10' Carom tables. The Korean's play 4 ball and the Vietnamese play straight rail on the smaller tables. In the Houston area they have at least 100 carom tables in several rooms!

Last edited:

rich htx

Verified Member
From
Houston TX
The viet rooms and players there's two kinds of people generally
The ones that are always helping and a great joy to know and play with

And there's the crowds that keep to their kind

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
yes the asians play some sort of carom games a lot. have their own billiard rooms. not many others go to them.
i was surprised when i found them. didnt seem welcome when i walked in. although that could be place specific.

central and south america 3 cushion is popular and they play well.
Mexico, Central & South America, 3 cushion is a, 'National' game, endorsed by many of the countries governments. Obviously, it's more popular there.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Doc, all Asian rooms in the USA have 8' or 9' along with 10' Carom tables. The Korean's play 4 ball and the Vietnamese play straight rail on the smaller tables. In the Houston area they have at least 100 carom tables in several rooms!
I didn't know that. I was over in Europe on tour one time, and I think it was in Paris or Frankfurt that I walked by a tavern in which they had a 6 or 7 foot carom table! I recall thinking at the time that it was analogous to our bar tables in the U.S.