Photos of the 1986 Clyde Childress Memorial Tournament

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
BillPorter said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just finished editing and uploading 55 photos I took 20 years ago at the Clyde Childress Memorial Pool Tournament. They are available for your viewing pleasure at this link: http://billporter.smugmug.com/gallery/1388452

I suggest you try the "slideshow" option by clicking on "Slideshow" in the light colored bar just above the photos. You can set the duration of the photos (the default setting is 3 seconds per photo).

I have not yet labeled the photos, but you might see how many you recognize. I believe Efren had been in this country only a few months at the time of the tournament.

You can purchase prints from the site (Smugmug), but I want you to know that I make nothing from such purchases. Smugmug is simply charging you for the prints.

Have fun!
Here's a thread that I'm guessing nobody has looked at in awhile. As an aside on Clyde Childress: The first time I ever walked into the Rack Clyde was playing Paul Brusloff $4000 per game one-pocket on the snooker table. He was giving Paul 9-7. Clyde was playing shirtless as he was losing and it was a little warm in there.

Dennis

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
BillPorter said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just finished editing and uploading 55 photos I took 20 years ago at the Clyde Childress Memorial Pool Tournament. They are available for your viewing pleasure at this link: http://billporter.smugmug.com/gallery/1388452

I suggest you try the "slideshow" option by clicking on "Slideshow" in the light colored bar just above the photos. You can set the duration of the photos (the default setting is 3 seconds per photo).

I have not yet labeled the photos, but you might see how many you recognize. I believe Efren had been in this country only a few months at the time of the tournament.

You can purchase prints from the site (Smugmug), but I want you to know that I make nothing from such purchases. Smugmug is simply charging you for the prints.

Have fun!

Great photos Bill . Thanks for sharing.
I have seen some of the pictures I have taken on the net , never with any credit.
I guess i can live with that, the way people wholesale copy everything now , I will be surprised if I don't see them with someone elses name attached as the photographer.

John Brumback

Verified Member
fred bentivegna said:
Voodoo,
Please refresh my memory. The year and place. Lexington or Richmond, KY?
1986? Childress tournament? I get Greg Sullivans and Monroe Brocks tourneys mixed up, among other things.

the Beard

Fred,this pic was taken at the Sheraton (sp)hotel In lex,ky.It is or was the same room where you were coaching Efren playing Grady onepocket.I think It was called the Clyde Childress tourny at the time.I think that Is the last place It was held.
I could be wrong about the name of tourny but that Is the hotel In the pic.The gambling rooms were off to the side.I was there too.I think they were to the left as you were walking to the tourny room.Early to mid 80s.John B.

John Brumback

Verified Member
sliprock said:
I can remember going into Toby's poolroom only once or twice. I think it was called Campus Biliards due to it's location close to the University of Ky. At the time, I didn't know any of the history of the place. I had just started playing and was pretty green. One of my best friends grew up in Lexington and practically lived in Toby's, He has a ton of stories. I'll have to give him a pop quiz the next time I see him. I think that Toby's building is still there but it's no longer a pool room. Toby was beaten to death in his home with a baseball bat. I don't think that anyone was ever prosecuted for his death.

As far as the Tevis link. I've heard that Tevis was from Kentucky and is buried somewhere around Richmond which is only about 25 minutes from Lexington. I don't know if Toby was his inspiration but I guess that it's very possible.

You've really piqued my interest. The next time that I go to Lexington I'll have to ask some of the old-timers. There's a few there that have been hanging out at the poolrooms and race tracks for 60+ years. I'll keep you in mind if I can find out anything.

Toby's was across the street from the campus billiards.I know this Is an old post but..these were some of my real early haunts.I must be getting older.John B.