WWYD - (or maybe what would you NOT do)

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Race to 3, games are tied 1 to 1. Ball count is 0 to 0 and this is shortly after the break. Your opponent is known for running hundreds of balls in 14.1 and can easily run 8 and out if you leave anything.

Your pocket is on the side where the cue ball is, obviously ;)

Also, hello everyone, it's been a while! After Squirrel passed away I took a long time off. Hope everyone is well and still playing the game we all love.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-04 at 5.52.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-04 at 5.52.46 PM.png
    795.9 KB · Views: 96
  • Screen Shot 2022-06-04 at 5.53.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-04 at 5.53.06 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 100

GoldCrown

Verified Member
Pocket the ball near the side pocket and one rail the cue to the top rail near the corner pocket on his side if the angle is there. That’s my initial thought but I’m studying a second choice…. Maybe pocket ball by side and leave cue on side rail.

Last edited:

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I'm sorry your friend is gone, glad to see you back.

The first shot I see is to bank the 2 ball into the 1 9 and send the 2 to my side the 1 to my side and the nine toward the bottom rail. Big problem though, if I clip the 13 going past ,I might leave a shot on it . The only way yhe 9 is going near my pocket is to clip the 13 , so I passed on that unless I hit it pretty soft. Plus stunning the cueball with that slight cut could get loose if you don't hit it really well.
#2 was dink the 6 and draw just below the 3rd diamond on the rail ,leaving no bank on the 10 ,if there is a combo on the 10 from another ball { the 2?} then you will have to find the spot you like him shooting it from and stick him on it!
Not many people want a cut combo bank ,rolling into the opponents balls for their money. If they do , they usually don't have any.
#3 There is always the carom on the 4 14 , but I am shooting number 2 .

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
My first inclination is to roll through the 2ball, banking it to my side, and leaving whitey on the second diamond. It's simple, and the opponent can't then put whitey up table for fear of leaving the 4-14 combo. The shooter will likely potentially get an aggressive shot on his next turn.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I think I could make the 4-14 combo, but I would be sorry if I shot that. I will go with the guys who want to leave Jojo near the third diamond on the long rail.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Pocket the ball near the side pocket and one rail the cue to the top rail near the corner pocket on his side of the angle is there. That’s my initial thought but I’m studying a second choice…. Maybe pocket ball by side and leave cue on side rail.
This was probably the shot, up until 5 years ago, this new bunch with the new equipment will cut that 7 ? robin egg colored ball into the 13 and come 2 rails out of the corner up to the top rail and you have serious problems. imo

Last edited:

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
If I understand your shot correctly, it would benefit your opponent.
Good thing I quit gambling! I think the problem is probably the 13 getting in front of opponents pocket If you kick into the back of the 1 9 and hit high , I think the 9 will go toward the 13 . It looks like it may clip it thinly going past , if it does , it will cut backward toward opponents pocket or the bottom rail and then up in front of the pocket , leaving a shot. Does that make sense? I know this shot pretty well, I made the mistake of playing it several times before my wallet bit me in the behind to wake me up.
I think I could make the 4-14 combo, but I would be sorry if I shot that. I will go with the guys who want to leave Jojo near the third diamond on the long rail.
Leaving the cueball on the third diamond was my shot selection also, in a convoluted way. Must not leave a return shot at the 10 though

Last edited:

TxOnePocket

Verified Member
From
Arlington,Texas -
4-14 looks dead from that push angle, I'm shooting the 10 - 8 bank combo and carmoning into the 4 - 14 but it's a decision on fully commiting really.

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
if I line up a ruler on the combo it looks lined into the lower point and since you cna only hit from above Ithink the ball is going to throw further down hill not into the pocket

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I like shooting the 11 into the high side of the 1 fair firmly, banking it to my side and following the cue ball to the side rail. The obvious shot is making the ball in the side, or cross banking it and going downtable with the cue ball, but this leaves the other player too many options to put you in a worse spot with his next shot.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I might shoot the 11 into the 1 only hard enough to make sure I left the cue ball between the side rail and the back of the 9-ball. The cue ball starts out pretty close to the rail so I'm not trying to draw or stun or anything -- just soft enough speed to leave the cue ball in that area -- ideally of course locked up on the 9 but ... knowing me, have to settle for that general area lol.

squeezeplay

Verified Member
I'm a wuss. 6 in the side, cue ball on rail by side pocket or on end rail. Not sure what the better option is. We do have a threat with the 4/14 combo.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I'm a wuss. 6 in the side, cue ball on rail by side pocket or on end rail. Not sure what the better option is. We do have a threat with the 4/14 combo.
Lots of people like to shoot that combo , they usually also like sleeping in a car.