who won the 9 ball? and banks? Michaels?

John Brumback

Verified Member
Hey Big Jim.They had a mini bank tourney the night before but I forgot who won it.Shannon M. and Ryan Stone took down the 9ball and 8ball.Some hackin hillbilly got lucky and won the bank ring game on the 10fter:eek::lol JB

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
John, it must have been peculiar to play on a 10-footer. I imagine the feel and the mental shape of the shots had to be adjusted a little. Had you played banks on any of the 10-footers in Tunica?

Doc

John Brumback

Verified Member
John, it must have been peculiar to play on a 10-footer. I imagine the feel and the mental shape of the shots had to be adjusted a little. Had you played banks on any of the 10-footers in Tunica?

Doc

Doc,what do you mean "the mental shape of the shots:confused: I did get to play a few games of banks on the tables down there.And two games of one pocket.I really don't notice any difference other than the shots just being longer.I've been lucky and have got to spend some time around a couple 10fters while I was in my teens.It sure does make a 9fter seem easier.I would suggest everyone play on one every chance they get;). John B.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
^It makes sense to me the extra length didn't/doesn't give you many problems. If you shoot a bank that is sitting on say the middle diamond of the end rail, I think that bank is hit the same no matter the table size (cloth and all other conditions being equal). It simply just has to go further, as you say John.

shw

Verified Member
the Ring Game on the 10 footer.

the Ring Game on the 10 footer.

I played in it. Thought I might have a chance since I bank on a 5x10 every day. I didn't....... When I signed up I didn't expect the field to be quite so strong. This was a Great Southern Tour event and I expected the ring game to be filled with Great Southern Tour players. Instead it was JB, Shannon Daulton, Jason Miller, Truman, Shannon Murphy and Danny Smith. Brian Gregg was on the original list but didn't show and was replaced by Danny.

I think they all handled the 10 footer pretty well. I'm sure there were a few misses that would have been made on a 9 footer but there were still a lot of banks made. I think there were runs of 8, 7, and at least two runs of 5 in the game. There were two 5 ball runs (SD and SM) in the first 2 and a half racks (10 ball racks). In practice before the game, there were a few runs of 6, 7 or 8 and many runs of 5. In the end, it didn't look much different to me than if it had been played on a 9 footer.

The 10 footer played great and looked intimidating. It can make you look bad when you miss, everyone had a few shots that didn't come close to their intended target.

Everyone had quite a bit of practice on the table before the game started except Jason Miller who came in late. I don't think he had hit a ball on it but he won the draw, broke and made 3 banks to start the game off.

Anyway, it was a lot of fun even though I didn't have enough firepower to hang with that group.

shw

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Doc,what do you mean "the mental shape of the shots:confused: I did get to play a few games of banks on the tables down there.And two games of one pocket.I really don't notice any difference other than the shots just being longer.I've been lucky and have got to spend some time around a couple 10fters while I was in my teens.It sure does make a 9fter seem easier.I would suggest everyone play on one every chance they get;). John B.

I've noticed that some guys visualize bank shot trajectories, some guys don't. Some guys just aim for a spot on the rail in order for the ball to bank into the intended pocket.

You are of the school who banks the ball long and has it come short, directly to the best angle of the pocket. I think some guys visualize that in their mind's eye, whereas some guys simply "feel" it in.

So when I said the "mental shape of the shot", I was referring to the mental visualization of the entire shot's shape.

This is real common in golf. It's suggested that a golfer visualize his shot before it hits it: how the shot takes off, how high, how far, what shape of the trajectory, and of course the target. The better golfers can visualize the entire golf shot very accurately, and the result is usually just as they visualized it.

Doc