Who is now the best oneholer?

jalapus logan

Verified Member
I suppose most will say Chohan given his recent win over Orcullo. But I'm unconvinced, as I thought that the match could have gone either way. In fact, if orcullo hadn't bombed so badly the first day, he would have prevailed, imo.

Also remember Thorpe's win at this years dcc and Schmidt's comments after Thorpe destroyed him gambling last year.

It's always tough to cypher, as there are not enough onepocket tournies or high profile gambling at the game to have enough data points to know, imo.

So, what say the cognoscenti here?

Here is my somewhat wild guess at current top five , in no particular order:

Chohan
SVB
Orcullo
D. Smith
The Freezer (really not sure about this one)

Edit: Damn, I just realized I left Alex out, lol...and he just may be the real current # 1
Last edit:. I think my top five would probably have to list ten players, LoL

Last edited:

baby huey

Verified Member
I think right now today its a toss up between Dennis, Tony and Alex. No one would be out of line in taking any of the three to be the best. I can't endorse any of the young up and comers because playing one pocket requires time to fully understand the game and its peculiar moves. You need a lot of volume and repetitive play to fully comprehend the game. The great bankers and ball strikers will always have a punchers chance for knockouts but in the long run the game plays itself out with effective safety play and trapping. The latter does not happen accidentally and comes with age. Interestingly the three players mentioned are all about the same age and have shown the ability to rise above the rest. I am partial to Tony but of the three I think Dennis is the best ball striker and has the desire to be the best. He is in constant action and doesn't deviate away from pool to engage in other activities. He'll be the sharpest and in stroke of the three on any given day and therefor probably should be rated as the top player.

El Chapo

Verified Member
I think if the 20 best players all played each other enough long meaningful sets for meaningful money, Alex would come out on top. I personally don't think frost is in the discussion, but I thought that before he lost to Dennis too. I think the skills are there but the mindframe and mental discipline isn't.

jalapus logan

Verified Member
I think right now today its a toss up between Dennis, Tony and Alex. No one would be out of line in taking any of the three to be the best. I can't endorse any of the young up and comers because playing one pocket requires time to fully understand the game and its peculiar moves. You need a lot of volume and repetitive play to fully comprehend the game. The great bankers and ball strikers will always have a punchers chance for knockouts but in the long run the game plays itself out with effective safety play and trapping. The latter does not happen accidentally and comes with age. Interestingly the three players mentioned are all about the same age and have shown the ability to rise above the rest. I am partial to Tony but of the three I think Dennis is the best ball striker and has the desire to be the best. He is in constant action and doesn't deviate away from pool to engage in other activities. He'll be the sharpest and in stroke of the three on any given day and therefor probably should be rated as the top player.

Can't argue with anything you said. I especially agree with your comments about Dennis. He really seems to want to get better at the game, and given that he is in tough action frequently, I would have to think he will get there.

jalapus logan

Verified Member
I think if the 20 best players all played each other enough long meaningful sets for meaningful money, Alex would come out on top. I personally don't think frost is in the discussion, but I thought that before he lost to Dennis too. I think the skills are there but the mindframe and mental discipline isn't.

I agree with you about Frost. And Alex is my personal favorite player, onehole or otherwise, but I suspect that Dennis's motivation may well carry him to the top of the hill.

stedyfred

Verified Member
I am aware that Scott lost to both Alex and Dennis recently but if you can go back and watch his play vs Alex on day 2 of that match I feel that you will certainly view the Freezer more favorably. His play on day 2 was very strong when he kept Alex in the rack area; check it out if you can.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
The argument can be made that if Robocopster and SVB ever learn how to play one-pocket, that they'd be unbeatable.

I've always been a fan of Frost's, but he doesn't often enough play top players to stay at that level. And if he's involved in his new pool room, that's not likely to change. But if he's trying to build a business, then he's automatically smarter than the other two..:)

~Doc

jalapus logan

Verified Member
The argument can be made that if Robocopster and SVB ever learn how to play one-pocket, that they'd be unbeatable.

I've always been a fan of Frost's, but he doesn't often enough play top players to stay at that level. And if he's involved in his new pool room, that's not likely to change. But if he's trying to build a business, then he's automatically smarter than the other two..:)

~Doc

True nuff about SVB and Dennis.

As an aside, do you happen to know if Starkville MS still has that room that Gilmore I believe started? My wife is from Starkville and we've been meaning to get back there for a visit sometime.

Best,

Neil

OneRock

Verified Member
From
South Florida
So, Dennis doesn't know how to play 1P? He beat Frost handily and lost to Tony Chohan by 2 games in a marathon match. And how about SVB? Did he not lose to Tony hill-hill after leading the match 8-7?

~Doc

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I am aware that Scott lost to both Alex and Dennis recently but if you can go back and watch his play vs Alex on day 2 of that match I feel that you will certainly view the Freezer more favorably. His play on day 2 was very strong when he kept Alex in the rack area; check it out if you can.

I agree, it was a huge mistake to allow the 1st. day play to be down table. Freezer is the true 1p player and when he went to his strength of knowledge rack play it showed. Whitey

Kybanks

Verified Member
Alex gets my vote. He is not unbeatable but a slight favorite over the rest of em.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I know people get rolls and sometimes matchups just don't indicate who is necessarily better, but if you watch this entire match it leaves no doubt in your mind Alex plays much better one hole than Scott.... imo anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fgz_py5nhaE

Scott at the top of his game a few years back was as good or better than anybody. IMO if he had Shane or other players dedication he would have been at the top of the heap for a long time.

This match with Alex was at Hard Times Bellflower on a gaffed up table that has trapped quite a few. Alex had been there playing/gambling with Shane for days before this match started. Scott came in the day of the match, practiced a bit, played and got drilled. His arrogance against the player considered by many as the best in the world, IMO had him beat before the match started.

He may not have beat Alex but it should have been a much more competitive match if he had prepared himself better. Remember, no one wanted any in Arizona when he was at the top of his game, Alex included. I don't know how many times he beat Efren there going back quite a few years, but if my memory serves me, it was more than once.

I would like to see Scott get back in the mix, but right now I agree that Alex, Tony and Dennis are the top players and will probably take turns beating each other.

Several of the young players are not far behind and we have a lot of great one pocket to sweat in the future.:D

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
True nuff about SVB and Dennis.

As an aside, do you happen to know if Starkville MS still has that room that Gilmore I believe started? My wife is from Starkville and we've been meaning to get back there for a visit sometime.

Best, Neil
Yes, Southern Billiards is still alive and well in Starkville ("StarkVegas"). After RH Gilmore died, his son "Little Sam" took it over. I don't know if his sisters are involved at all. As you know, RH and his wife had a successful bail bonds business going, and I believe that allowed them to have relatively few worries with the pool room expenses.

~Doc

Wayne

Verified Member
Right now Tony is number 1.

I would have thought Alex might be the best but Tony has asked anyone to step up and play and has posted on Facebook. Someone asked about Alex and he said Alex turned him down. Rematch with Dennis, Tony said that was a no go also. No takers for his offer to play.

Based on this I make Tony #1. When someone steps up and beats him then maybe they can be rated #1.

In the meantime no one is allowed to make anyone else #1 unless someone takes Tony's offer and beats him (that is my rule and it must be followed:heh.)

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans

I would have thought Alex might be the best but Tony has asked anyone to step up and play and has posted on Facebook. Someone asked about Alex and he said Alex turned him down. Rematch with Dennis, Tony said that was a no go also. No takers for his offer to play.

Based on this I make Tony #1. When someone steps up and beats him then maybe they can be rated #1.

In the meantime no one is allowed to make anyone else #1 unless someone takes Tony's offer and beats him (that is my rule and it must be followed:heh.)

Well isn't pool great! You get to the top and no one wants to play you.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

I hereby promise to follow the Wayne Rule (until Tony and Dennis play again, when I'll be betting on Dennis... but not loving it.)

jalapus logan

Verified Member

Well, that is some compelling logic right there. I can buy that. I'm surprised to hear both Dennis and Alex turned down Tony's recent challenge. I feel cheated as a pool fan, lol.