What Ball Did I Make?

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
One Pocket Ghost said:
Yeah Steve, that's a good shot too...although I'm sure that Ike's reply would have been to 2-rail kick to the bottom of the 7,2,3 balls...

And...you being a pretty good 3cushion player like myself - I have a hunch the 2-rail kick that I shot, might have been 'calling your name', like it did mine.

- Ghost

No, I don't think I'm going to kick at that ball. I think I'm sticking with rolling up on the balls.

Even if Ike 2 rails at the ones by your hole he might not get a rail and even if he does that 4th ball on the spot with the cue ball higher up from your pocket is a better bank than when you were in the hole with maybe a bank at the 3rd ball on the spot.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
stevelomako said:
No, I don't think I'm going to kick at that ball. I think I'm sticking with rolling up on the balls.

Even if Ike 2 rails at the ones by your hole he might not get a rail and even if he does that 4th ball on the spot with the cue ball higher up from your pocket is a better bank than when you were in the hole with maybe a bank at the 3rd ball on the spot.

Also, for the rolling-up-on-the-balls shot to have a chance to be productive, the speed has to be perfect....an inch too hard and you open up the balls, leaving him a lot of safety options....an inch too soft, and you leave him this shot, which he shoots with max. left english, killing my threat, and leaving me snookered >>>

- Ghost

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AbAL4BWxg4Caja4DAMG4EALW4GTvh4HALo4IAMX3PDOF4UbAL4Ubgy4WbAd4WbYX4Waja3kDOF4kDAm4kaKo4kcOm@[/CUETABLE]

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
One Pocket Ghost said:
Also, for the rolling-up-on-the-balls shot to have a chance to be productive, the speed has to be perfect....an inch too hard and you open up the balls, leaving him a lot of safety options....an inch too soft, and you leave him this shot, which he shoots with max. left english, killing my threat, and leaving me snookered >>>

- Ghost

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AbAL4BWxg4Caja4DAMG4EALW4GTvh4HALo4IAMX3PDOF4UbAL4Ubgy4WbAd4WbYX4Waja3kDOF4kDAm4kaKo4kcOm@[/CUETABLE]

You must not play much stack pool if you'd be scared to not roll at those balls.

The speed doesn't need to be anywhere near perfect.

And you killed your own threat by shooting the goofy 2 railer.

Try and shoot the shot you have diagramed...that one is easier than what I said????

Thats it.............I'm betting on the old guys at DCC.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
stevelomako said:
Try and shoot the shot you have diagramed...that one is easier than what I said????

Steve,

What you don't know is that the Ghost also has this shot in his arsenal. I think he's stalling for a bigger bet with SJD.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4Abgy4BWxg4Caja4DAMG4EALW4GTvh4HALo4IAMX4PcOm4VWxg4Vcpt4kcOm8kOSQ7kQeL6kPeX4kWYP4kNiS@[/CUETABLE]

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
Cowboy Dennis said:
Steve,

What you don't know is that the Ghost also has this shot in his arsenal. I think he's stalling for a bigger bet with SJD.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4Abgy4BWxg4Caja4DAMG4EALW4GTvh4HALo4IAMX4PcOm4VWxg4Vcpt4kcOm8kOSQ7kQeL6kPeX4kWYP4kNiS@[/CUETABLE]

You know whats sick tho............there's some billiard players that can almost do that shot.......none on this site tho.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
stevelomako said:
And you killed your own threat by shooting the goofy 2 railer.

If I had made the combination with my 2-rail kick, I'da been out...:cool:....and by the way, my 2-railer is not a "goofy" shot...it's a "nutball" shot...:D

stevelomako said:

:confused:....I am, one of the old guys....:confused:

Cowboy Dennis said:
Steve,

As a matter of fact, I do shoot that masse' shot - I call it the lasso...Sang Lee taught it to me....:cool:

- Ghost

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
gulfportdoc said:
What were you getting? 11-7?

Doc

C'mon Doc, don't ask me to knock myself...you know there are certain pecuniary-minded guys around here that might want to use that information to try to take advantage of the fair-minded Ghost...;)

- Ghost

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
One Pocket Ghost said:
Well, needless to say, playing Ike and being down 7-1 I was in 'shoot-at-a-white-flag' mode...that said, I considered the 4ball cross-corner, but it was too thin of a cut from where I was - if the cueball was up another inch or two I would have shot it......I badly wanted to find a way to hit that dead 1-3 combination, so that's what I tried to do - I figured if I could somehow make it, I could run some balls and get back in the game - my angle to kick two rails at it was not good (too short) but I thought if I loaded it up with inside english, I could maybe lengthen it out enough to hit the combination...well, crazy shot that it turned out to be, I lengthened it a little too much, missed the combination, and instead hit smack in the face of the 2ball and made it - myself, Ike, and a couple of the railbirds all laughed when I made the 2ball instead of the combination....bad news was, no reward..:(...the damn cueball ended up froze on the 3ball, it undeaded the combination, I just barely couldn't see the 4 to bank it next, and I had a bad jacked up semi-kiss angle to try and bank the 7 next...:mad:...I went on to lose the game a few innings later....here's what my shot looked like >>>

- Ghost

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AbIL4BWpg4CbId3DAUJ3EATY4GTfh3HATr4PYWV4VWpg4VdGr4kYWV2kbwL2kOro4kWYV4kYMR4kYMR4kaCO@[/CUETABLE]
I guess being down 7 to 1 calls for a Hail Mary type of shot, but I still like banking the 4 ball cross corner in this spot.

Billy I.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
wincardona said:
I guess being down 7 to 1 calls for a Hail Mary type of shot, but I still like banking the 4 ball cross corner in this spot.

Billy I.

androd said:
Oh hell yeah.
Rod.

Well now let's see...there've been three other times in the last couple of months that I've offered to put my shot up against someone else's, in a competition for some friendly $$$ - none of those challenges were accepted, proving, of course, that my analysis and choice was superior to theirs..:)-:cool:........so let me try again here, to add some $$$ to the Ghost's DCC travel fund...

Dr. Billy & Rodney, you can pool your $$$ together :D...just for a fun friendly bet, let's say $100...Billy shoots the cross-corner on the 4ball 10 times - I shoot my kick combo 10 times, and whoever makes their ball more times wins...whaddaya guys say - do I have action?...:)

- Ghosty

PS, And, I'm letting a champion shoot the bank shot against me!...:eek:

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
One Pocket Ghost said:
Well now let's see...there've been three other times in the last couple of months that I've offered to put my shot up against someone else's, in a competition for some friendly $$$ - none of those challenges were accepted, proving, of course, that my analysis and choice was superior to theirs..:)-:cool:........so let me try again here, to add some $$$ to the Ghost's DCC travel fund...

Dr. Billy & Rodney, you can pool your $$$ together :D...just for a fun friendly bet, let's say $100...Billy shoots the cross-corner on the 4ball 10 times - I shoot my kick combo 10 times, and whoever makes their ball more times wins...whaddaya guys say - do I have action?...:)

- Ghosty

PS, And, I'm letting a champion shoot the bank shot against me!...:eek:
Whoa, now that really isn't the way you figure out which shot is best to shoot in this ONE SHOT situation, needing 7 balls.

If you would say to me that you would bet that you can kick successfully one time and let me bank at the 4 ball one time I might do that. But you have to give me enough credit to know that I wouldn't let you go to school on your kick attempts to beat me out of my $100. You do realize that everytime you kick at a shot you will improve on your accuracy on the hit? After the third kick you'll probably be the favorite to kick successfully, not true shooting the bank.

Whenever you're confronted with a kick that is not a common kick, you know that there is a lot of guessing to the shot, unless you're an excellent kicker with possibly a system to help you.

Another thing, the kick may be right for you but I am willing to bet that it's not right for the majority of people that could be confronted with this type of a situation.

Now that I made my point I will bet that if 5 people go to the table and shoot the bank one time each and then shoot the kick one time each, the bank will produce more balls then the kick, if the balls produced are the same, it's a tie.

By the way I don't want to shoot the bank shot, even if I am an over the hill champion. Waiting to hear from you and your analysis of what the right shot is for the majority> Trust me, i'm a doctor.

Billy I.

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
wincardona said:
Whoa, now that really isn't the way you figure out which shot is best to shoot in this ONE SHOT situation, needing 7 balls.

If you would say to me that you would bet that you can kick successfully one time and let me bank at the 4 ball one time I might do that. But you have to give me enough credit to know that I wouldn't let you go to school on your kick attempts to beat me out of my $100. You do realize that everytime you kick at a shot you will improve on your accuracy on the hit? After the third kick you'll probably be the favorite to kick successfully, not true shooting the bank.

Whenever you're confronted with a kick that is not a common kick, you know that there is a lot of guessing to the shot, unless you're an excellent kicker with possibly a system to help you.

Another thing, the kick may be right for you but I am willing to bet that it's not right for the majority of people that could be confronted with this type of a situation.

Now that I made my point I will bet that if 5 people go to the table and shoot the bank one time each and then shoot the kick one time each, the bank will produce more balls then the kick, if the balls produced are the same, it's a tie.

By the way I don't want to shoot the bank shot, even if I am an over the hill champion. Waiting to hear from you and your analysis of what the right shot is for the majority> Trust me, i'm a doctor.

Billy I.

Another consideration that should be evaluated is if you happen to make either the kick or the bank, which shot will offer you a better chance of running more balls? To me the bank shot will, what do you think? After all it's about winning, right?

Billy I.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
There sure is a lot of interest going on with this shot. (barking)

I can see the temptation with the two rail kick that Ghost shot but for me I don't like this particular kick where I have to reverse the q, too inconsistent for my taste. I would prefer to leave that combo there because of the threat it presents. This threat may get me something else to shoot at or a better kick at it.

I also don't like the bank on the four because of the thin hit on it who knows where the balls will wind up if it doesn't go in.

I might consider banking the five ball and twisting it back to open up the eight and four balls while leaving the q uptable. Now Mr. Runnels would have more to defend against.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
wincardona said:
Another consideration that should be evaluated is if you happen to make either the kick or the bank, which shot will offer you a better chance of running more balls? To me the bank shot will, what do you think? After all it's about winning, right?

Billy I.

Frank A said:
I also don't like the bank on the four because of the thin hit on it who knows where the balls will wind up if it doesn't go in.

This is generally what happens when the 4 ball bank is hit well. ;)
I believe this will produce more balls.
I picked this shot early in this thread and haven't seen anything to change my mind. Let me shoot it and if I don't make it, I'll payoff and play another. :D After he makes one. :rolleyes:
Rod.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AbIL4BWpg4CbId3DAMH3EALb4GTfh3HALs4PYfU3XAMH3XbQu4XTpN4XTYN4XVEQ3YALb2YDGe3cALs3cALr4cADp3cbpN4cHPA4kYfU4kBbG4kBRq2kIGo2kcEQ3kQAU3uBGT@[/CUETABLE]

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Frank Almanza said:
There sure is a lot of interest going on with this shot. (barking)

I can see the temptation with the two rail kick that Ghost shot but for me I don't like this particular kick where I have to reverse the q, too inconsistent for my taste. I would prefer to leave that combo there because of the threat it presents. This threat may get me something else to shoot at or a better kick at it.

I might consider banking the five ball and twisting it back to open up the eight and four balls while leaving the q uptable. Now Mr. Runnels would have more to defend against.
Frank, the bank on the 4 ball is a shot that many older one pocket players are familiar with, including many modern day players as well. I have shot this identical shot many times with very good results. It's actually the correct shot in just about any situation because it carries natural position, and it's also a shot that very rarely leaves a return shot if missed. Set it up a few times and shoot it, I think that you'll like it. Trust me, i'm a doctor.

Billy I.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
wincardona said:
Frank, the bank on the 4 ball is a shot that many older one pocket players are familiar with, including many modern day players as well. I have shot this identical shot many times with very good results. It's actually the correct shot in just about any situation because it carries natural position, and it's also a shot that very rarely leaves a return shot if missed. Set it up a few times and shoot it, I think that you'll like it. Trust me, i'm a doctor.

Billy I.
Ok, Dr. Bill, I'm now a firm believer of your prescription. I tried the shot about a dozen times and now see the value in it. At no time did a ball sell out when I didn't make the bank. I made the bank 5 times and each time there was a good reward behind it. I found that a slight taste of inside english kept the q on the correct side of the table.

Thanks Rod for the diagram of the shot. It was amazing how consistant the flight of the balls were even when I didn't hit the shot so well.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
wincardona said:
Whoa,
you have to give me enough credit to know that I wouldn't let you go to school on your kick attempts to beat me out of my $100. You do realize that everytime you kick at a shot you will improve on your accuracy on the hit? After the third kick you'll probably be the favorite to kick successfully, not true shooting the bank.

By the way I don't want to shoot the bank shot, even if I am an over the hill champion. Waiting to hear from you and your analysis of what the right shot is for the majority > Trust me, i'm a doctor.

Billy I.

No Billy, I didn't really expect you guys to go for my challenge - knowing that you would suspect the guileless Ghost of practicing the kick shot prior to the challenge taking place...:D...

As far as you asking me if I think my 2-rail kick is the right shot for the masses/average player - absolutely not...

But for a strong player with excellent kicking abilities and experience, I still like my kick shot :) and in case you missed his post, Freddy also said my kick was the right shot - this coming from a top banker, foregoing the bank in favor of my kick...:eek:...:cool:...

And as for the right shot for the masses/average player...if I was coaching an average player in this spot...I wouldn't let them shoot my kick, or your bank on the 4...

I would probably have them shoot either Steve Lomako's shot, or I would have them shoot the basic shot of hitting half a ball on the 5ball, bringing it over to my side, with the cueball going down to the bottom rail, like so >>>

- Ghost

PS, Trust me, doctors come to me for advice.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AbYH4BXOc4CbYY4DAUJ4EATY4GTvd4HATr4IgMo4PYWV4YATY3YbfR4YJwm4kYWV4kByb2kOrp@[/CUETABLE]

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Bensinger boys

Bensinger boys

One Pocket Ghost said:
No Billy, I didn't really expect you guys to go for my challenge - knowing that you would suspect the guileless Ghost of practicing the kick shot prior to the challenge taking place...:D...

As far as you asking me if I think my 2-rail kick is the right shot for the masses/average player - absolutely not...

But for a strong player with excellent kicking abilities and experience, I still like my kick shot :) and in case you missed his post, Freddy also said my kick was the right shot - this coming from a top banker, foregoing the bank in favor of my kick...:eek:...:cool:...

And as for the right shot for the masses/average player...if I was coaching an average player in this spot...I wouldn't let them shoot my kick, or your bank on the 4...

I would probably have them shoot either Steve Lomako's shot, or I would have them shoot the basic shot of hitting half a ball on the 5ball, bringing it over to my side, with the cueball going down to the bottom rail, like so >>>

- Ghost

PS, Trust me, doctors come to me for advice.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AbYH4BXOc4CbYY4DAUJ4EATY4GTvd4HATr4IgMo4PYWV4YATY3YbfR4YJwm4kYWV4kByb2kOrp@[/CUETABLE]

Bensinger boys are not afraid to reverse kick.

Beard