Warp Banks

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
The more I practice my banking, the more I'm finding myself slamming them in to avoid any unintended spin. I was wondering about a couple of things..

Do the bank players out there find that they have better control over more forceful shots in other games because of this or is this just more of a side effect of banking?

Will this kind of shooting place a lot more wear on the rails? I'd feel bad to think that the rails would be shot in a short period of time.

Started to get down some of the tougher shots, but was a bit off on the standard shots yesterday. :eek:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Banks said:
The more I practice my banking, the more I'm finding myself slamming them in to avoid any unintended spin. I was wondering about a couple of things..

Do the bank players out there find that they have better control over more forceful shots in other games because of this or is this just more of a side effect of banking?"Better control over more forceful shots" because of what?

Will this kind of shooting place a lot more wear on the rails? I'd feel bad to think that the rails would be shot in a short period of time.

Started to get down some of the tougher shots, but was a bit off on the standard shots yesterday. :eek:
Banks,

Slamming in banks will not avoid any unintended spin and it will get you out of stroke. Banks are all "speed" and you must hit each bank with the proper speed to pocket the ball. Learn it and do it.

Dennis

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
Cowboy Dennis said:
Banks,

Slamming in banks will not avoid any unintended spin and it will get you out of stroke. Banks are all "speed" and you must hit each bank with the proper speed to pocket the ball. Learn it and do it.

Dennis

You know I don't mind sticking my neck out.. I'm going to disagree with this.

If there were no benefits of hitting some banks hard, it wouldn't be done as much as it is. Not all banks work well shot the same. The twist bank won't work at pocket speed(or at least not in most cases). The cross and reverse bank won't work at pocket speed.

Trying to hit banks as the OB is at the between point of spins just makes them even more difficult to estimate.

I shoot the shots depending on the circumstance. Some are just easier to execute with speed. Being able to execute shots at a higher speed is not a bad thing. As long as you're not just wacking away mindlessly, I don't see why it would be detrimental to one's stroke.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Banks said:

If there were no benefits of hitting some banks hard, it wouldn't be done as much as it is. Not all banks work well shot the same. The twist bank won't work at pocket speed(or at least not in most cases). The cross and reverse bank won't work at pocket speed.

Trying to hit banks as the OB is at the between point of spins just makes them even more difficult to estimate.

I shoot the shots depending on the circumstance. Some are just easier to execute with speed. Being able to execute shots at a higher speed is not a bad thing. As long as you're not just wacking away mindlessly, I don't see why it would be detrimental to one's stroke.

Well I agree that some banks have to be hit a little harder.(as Dennis said)
But WARP is certainly a misnomer.
Rod.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Banks said:

Banks,

I don't mind anyone disagreeing with me, that's how we all learn. You'll see that I respond to the words a person writes not to what they (poster) mean. I don't assume you mean one thing when you write something else. You titled your thread "Warp Banks" and mention "slamming" them in, what am I to think except you are hitting them much harder than you need to? Now you mitigate those words with "hitting some banks hard".

I think you'll see that everything I wrote in response to your first post is accurate & correct. I also don't think we disagree on anything.

Warp Banks & Slamming bring to mind a picture of someone "whacking away mindlessly", that's what I was responding to, sorry for the confusion but not too many people write what they mean and when I respond to what they wrote they are usually confused.

There is a "best" speed to use in pocketing every bank, whether it's harder or softer doesn't matter, learning the speed is the important thing. Unless you are playing position or need to duck a scratch there is a "best" speed for any bank, table differences excluded.

P.S. Slamming in banks will not help to avoid unintended spin either, only hitting the cueball where you intend to hit it will do this for you.

I hope this clears up any confusion for you.

Dennis

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
Cowboy Dennis said:
Banks,

I don't mind anyone disagreeing with me, that's how we all learn. You'll see that I respond to the words a person writes not to what they (poster) mean. I don't assume you mean one thing when you write something else. You titled your thread "Warp Banks" and mention "slamming" them in, what am I to think except you are hitting them much harder than you need to? Now you mitigate those words with "hitting some banks hard".

I think you'll see that everything I wrote in response to your first post is accurate & correct. I also don't think we disagree on anything.

Warp Banks & Slamming bring to mind a picture of someone "whacking away mindlessly", that's what I was responding to, sorry for the confusion but not too many people write what they mean and when I respond to what they wrote they are usually confused.

There is a "best" speed to use in pocketing every bank, whether it's harder or softer doesn't matter, learning the speed is the important thing. Unless you are playing position or need to duck a scratch there is a "best" speed for any bank, table differences excluded.

P.S. Slamming in banks will not help to avoid unintended spin either, only hitting the cueball where you intend to hit it will do this for you.

I hope this clears up any confusion for you.

Dennis

"Depends on what your definition of is is." I guess "warp" maybe was a little bit off..

The speed with which I was hitting the bank.. OB about a ball off the side, ball up-table from the side pocket, CB coming in at about a 45-degree angle.. hitting the OB to drive it straight up to the top rail.. at a hard/very hard hit, the speed allows only a slight amount of the collision spin to take. It looks pretty nice with the ball flying back down table and pocketing much better than I'd think with such speed. To me, that's close enough to MACH to call warp. Missing the top pocket by just a little bit, but comes in about an inch or two at high speeds to catch the good side of the target pocket.

By unintended, I was refering to the spin grab on the bank rail.. the higher speeds allows for only a little. You could use spin to alter the shot to angle the bank at a degree or two, but it's much easier(for me anyways) to cut it straight down the rail at high speeds to produce the same angle.

If I remember, I think I was doing well with other long banks using a bit more speed.. of course, like I said, I was off a little bit that night. :confused: Was probably starting to get pissed at missing some dumb shots and just started nailing them. :mad:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Banks said:
The speed with which I was hitting the bank.. OB about a ball off the side, ball up-table from the side pocket, CB coming in at about a 45-degree angle.. hitting the OB to drive it straight up to the top rail.. at a hard/very hard hit, the speed allows only a slight amount of the collision spin to take.
Banks,

Now you are introducing a specific bank shot, I do not know what you are talking about, you did not mention a specific bank shot in your original post. You are getting farther and farther away from your first post with every post.

Dennis