Tried 1P on a 7' Smart table!

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I used an eleven ball rack, with the 11th ball frozen to the 2nd/3rd ball in the back row. It was different than I imagined. To be honest, I was pleasantly surprised. The differences are just about what one would expect: easier shot making, more traffic, bank shots come short, etc. But as both 9-ball and 8-ball have a different allure to them on a 7-footer, so might one-pocket. I could see how some people would like it, especially in leagues or tournaments. The game moves faster, and puts a premium on more exact postition. However I don't believe it would be the same on a Valley bucket barbox. The Diamonds are more nearly shrunk-down 9-footers, although of course the balls are still 2-1/4 inches.

In short, I could be talked into playing it in tournaments, or in a situation where there were no 9-foot tables available-- but only on tighter barbox pockets. One-pocket seems to be poised to get more popular, so if the game on Smart-type tables is introduced, it may have a chance to catch on; especially in areas where there are no 9-footers.

Doc

SJDinPHX

Suspended
I agree Doc !

I agree Doc !

gulfportdoc said:
I used an eleven ball rack, with the 11th ball frozen to the 2nd/3rd ball in the back row. It was different than I imagined. To be honest, I was pleasantly surprised. The differences are just about what one would expect: easier shot making, more traffic, bank shots come short, etc. But as both 9-ball and 8-ball have a different allure to them on a 7-footer, so might one-pocket. I could see how some people would like it, especially in leagues or tournaments. The game moves faster, and puts a premium on more exact postition. However I don't believe it would be the same on a Valley bucket barbox. The Diamonds are more nearly shrunk-down 9-footers, although of course the balls are still 2-1/4 inches.

In short, I could be talked into playing it in tournaments, or in a situation where there were no 9-foot tables available-- but only on tighter barbox pockets. One-pocket seems to be poised to get more popular, so if the game on Smart-type tables is introduced, it may have a chance to catch on; especially in areas where there are no 9-footers.

Doc

You are right Doc,
The thing we have to remember is,as you said, not all the small towns, or even some big cities, do not have access to 9' tables. If we can get them to playing 1P, they will find the attraction, and hopefully, love and enjoy the game as we do. It's called "baby steps".

Dick

PS My only leaning towards 10 ball rack (instead of 11) is simplification. Why confuse the beginners ? First one to get five balls wins, it's as simple as that. Many games will be matched up 6 to 5, so if you don't spot a ball, it remains the same, fighting for the last ball on the table. Besides if you are going to use 11 balls, you might as well use all 15. More traffic to negotiate, but hey, it's still one pocket ain't it ? Also, if you want a shorter, abbreviated game, ( as in 9 ball Banks )you could also look at a standard 9 ball rack. I'll gaurantee you the better players would figure out an effective way to break safe!
One pocket is most exciting when a game comes down to the last few balls on the table. Surfer Rod and I once racked up 3 balls, first one to get 2 wins. Now THATS a short version of 1P. My end game (down to the last few balls) was always one of my stronger suits. Rod did not stay too long at that game.

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Dick Mc Morran said:
PS My only leaning towards 10 ball rack (instead of 11) is simplification. Why confuse the beginners ? First one to get five balls wins, it's as simple as that. Many games will be matched up 6 to 5, so if you don't spot a ball, it remains the same, fighting for the last ball on the table. Besides if you are going to use 11 balls, you might as well use all 15. More traffic to negotiate, but hey, it's still one pocket ain't it ? Also, if you want a shorter, abbreviated game, ( as in 9 ball Banks )you could also look at a standard 9 ball rack. I'll gaurantee you the better players would figure out an effective way to break safe!
One pocket is most exciting when a game comes down to the last few balls on the table. Surfer Rod and I once racked up 3 balls, first one to get 2 wins. Now THATS a short version of 1P. My end game (down to the last few balls) was always one of my stronger suits. Rod did not stay too long at that game.
You may have something there, Dick. A ten ball rack might be a better variation. I Emailed Greg Sullivan about this thread, so perhaps he'll give us his feedback on the issue. We'll see what shakes out of the tree.

I never played 3 ball 1P, but they used to play only with the pink and black balls on the snooker table out in N. Hollywood at Chopsticks Billiards in the late 60's. Louie St. Pierre ("The Magic Man") and Fitz often locked horns at that game.

Doc

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Nine ball 1 pocket

Nine ball 1 pocket

Nine ball 1 pocket on a 7 footer is a stiff. There is a way to make a ball on the break 75% of the time. Most players would figure that out quickly.
My attraction to 11 balls is that the game could go to 1 ball on the table for the win with the score tied 5 to 5. With 10 balls with the score 4 to 4 there are 2 balls remaining to make the one needed to win. My whole stategy in One pocket was to manuever the balls to where I could win but my opponent couldnt (example: I need one and he needs two --the score is 5 to his 4---, I keep one of the 2 balls left on the table out of play. With ten balls and I need one and he needs two --score 4 to 3-- there are three balls on the table for him to get the two he needs.)

the Beard

Downloaded two great videos: Marciano/Walcott fight with the greatest punch ever thrown. www.bankingwiththebeard.blogspot.com/ and Gene the Glove Catron's fabulous 4 table Domino shot. www.poolpics-memorabilia.blogspot.com/

Grady

Verified Member
From
Columbia, SC
Bar table One Pocket

Bar table One Pocket

I used to play "Surfer Rod" even One Pocket on the small table and give him 8 to 5 and the break on the big table, with the big rock. He couldn't win on the big table because I ran 8s better than he ran 5s but the bar table was a tough game for me.

suki

Verified Member
From
Santa Cruz, Ca.
Not trying to be a naysayer here

Not trying to be a naysayer here

Dick Mc Morran said:
You are right Doc,
The thing we have to remember is,as you said, not all the small towns, or even some big cities, do not have access to 9' tables. If we can get them to playing 1P, they will find the attraction, and hopefully, love and enjoy the game as we do. It's called "baby steps".

Dick

But baby steps is not going to work. If I owned a bar in one of these small towns or big towns, makes no difference, no way in hell am I allowing 1p games on that table. Think about it. You have all these drunks putting up their quarters to play next and have to wait an hour for a 1p game to end. Now I know that may be exageratting but it will happen. And then also try to save balls. No way. The only way is if pool rooms around the country change to strictly 7ft. tables. So how many of the 400 1p players at the DCC would be able to practice this new form of the game. Won't be in a bar and most rooms do not have those tables available.

akbushman51

Verified Member
Suki- I have not tried 1PKT on a 7 ft smart table, if its possible to tighten the pockets, and the breaker has to go to 6 vice 5. (10 ball rack) The game should go faster. Most bars have in our area have more than one table. Besides if you're tring to promote the game, I'd have one table set up for quality play, ie. simonis or granito. Also no butts, asses or glasses on/over that table. As far as dealing the the alcohol impaired, I am a bartender/manager, and you'd better keep things under control. With the present alcohol law's in place, and enforcement just around the corner, patrons will know the limits of what's allowed and not. Because if not you'll be forced out of buisness. Again it depends on what kind of establishment you're tring to run. If it's a banger bar then you wouldn't get that much 1pkt play anyway.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Grady said:
I used to play "Surfer Rod" even One Pocket on the small table and give him 8 to 5 and the break on the big table, with the big rock. He couldn't win on the big table because I ran 8s better than he ran 5s but the bar table was a tough game for me.
Grady, on the small table did you use 10, 11, or 15 balls?

Doc

SJDinPHX

Suspended
gulfportdoc said:
Grady, on the small table did you use 10, 11, or 15 balls?

Doc

Doc, I'm betting they used all 15 balls. In those days, it rarely occurred to anyone to change the game drastically just for the purpose of speeding up play. However, that being said, Rod and I have played with as few as 3, sevral times with 6, and a few times with 10 (never 11 ?) We usually wound up most of those sessions going back to all 15 balls. Rod was tough to beat
if he thought (which he usually did) that he had the best of it. Grady had more b---s than I did to give up a game like that to Rod on a big table. We played dozens of times, always on a bar table. Usually a 3 X 6 with a bowling (cue) ball.

Suki, you make some very good points about 1P on a bar table. If it did get popular, or two good players wanted to match up for high $$$, If the owner wanted, he could open the table up and charge a worthwhile hourly rate. As you say,he would need more than one table to keep the banger's happy.

Dick

PS Freddy, I see your point, on your style and strategy. It just requires that you have to re-think some of the old time honored methods and try to outmove your opponent in other ways. He is faced with the same challenges you are in an abreviated (or sped up) game. First one that shoots the game ball in WINS. You can bet that will never change !

I love the game as much as you do, and hate to see it basterdized, for whatever reason. But lets face it, it has a very narrow audience as a spectator sport. If it can still retain most of it's basics, and adapt to a smaller table, or fewer balls, who knows it may enjoy a welcome resurgence. I have a feeling we're going to find out.

Last edited:

mrgreenheads

From
Houston, TX
1P ON 7ft

1P ON 7ft

Well in 1989 when I was first introduced to the game. I lived in a small rural town where only Bar Boxes could be found. Our local hall had 7 tables all coin op. The owner loved the game and me and him would open up the table and play early in the day until the crowds cam in . We used the 9 Ball rack and if you play the break shot the same as normal you can not get safe as easy as if you carrum off the head ball from an angle.

However the 9 Ball rack was easyier for the score keeping because of the un even number. I have never playe dit on small table with 10 or 11 ball rack. Will try it soon as I get back home from the Desert.

Keep up the posts this Definatly is the way to Promote the game to the Small town players. AS we all know you play 8 & 9 Ball for show and 1P for dough (and to see who the better player erally is).