To Shoot Or Not To Shoot

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
There seems to be some disagreement as to the best approach to one pocket.

Ultimately, whether you should concentrate on shooting or moving probably changes according to your opponent. Admittedly most players incorporate both strategies, and too much of one and not enough of the other is surely not the goal, yet players get categorized as shooters or movers.

I have played shooters that fire at anything that is physically makeable without regard for the consequences of a miss. I have played players that regard themselves as movers, who only rarely shoot at their hole.

So, here are my two questions. Do you consider yourself more of a shooter or a mover(use a scale of 0 to 10 respectively)? And, assuming an equivalent risk to reward analysis, what percentage of anticipated success is necessary (scale of 0 to 100%) before you will take the shot?

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL

Ultimately, whether you should concentrate on shooting or moving probably changes according to your opponent. Admittedly most players incorporate both strategies, and too much of one and not enough of the other is surely not the goal, yet players get categorized as shooters or movers.

I have played shooters that fire at anything that is physically makeable without regard for the consequences of a miss. I have played players that regard themselves as movers, who only rarely shoot at their hole.

So, here are my two questions. Do you consider yourself more of a shooter or a mover(use a scale of 0 to 10 respectively)? And, assuming an equivalent risk to reward analysis, what percentage of anticipated success is necessary (scale of 0 to 100%) before you will take the shot?

Good moves create good shot opportunities. Of course, the best move is 8 and out.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I have been thinking on this type thing recently, and have come to the conclusion that to better your game, you need to be constantly moving more toward being a shooter. I think the moving comes naturally with the confidence and accuracy of good offense (ie shooting). You can't be afraid to shoot, and this fear has to diminish more and more to play better imo. Shooting is the way you score points, you need points to win, and the more you are confidently doing it successfully, the more you win. This all may be obvious, but I think the point of the thread for me may be that too many of us move too much and think we are playing good. Playing good is scoring points.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
After you beat'em to the 1st shot, you still have to make balls to win.
I get the 1st shot often, but don't win all of them. Old age sucks ! :)
Rod.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

There is no 'black and white' answer to your 2nd question. Playing good one pocket is to understand not only your skill level but many other factors as well. You must play the score..your opponent's skill level...and momentum, whether it's for or against your opponent. All of these things must be factored into your game for you to determine when the right time there is to shoot or move. Even the best shooters are wise to move in situations where their opponent is getting weak, as opposed to shooting a shot that they are a slight favorite to pocket even if that shot gives them the win. The above is playing momentum and using it to your advantage. Also when your game is down and you're playing poorly you will fare better if you move more than shoot in challenging situations. In situations like the above you must make your opponent work for every thing instead of serving it up to him off of a miss.:eek: I'm sure we have all been there many times, and in retrospect as we look back at what happened we wish we would of 'moved' instead of shooting.:frus

Shooting or moving is subjective, based off of one's skill level and knowledge. You will do much better if you have a great understanding of your game (skill level..options) and make your decisions based mainly off of that.

Bill Incardona

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
There is no 'black and white' answer to your 2nd question. Playing good one pocket is to understand not only your skill level but many other factors as well. You must play the score..your opponent's skill level...and momentum, whether it's for or against your opponent. All of these things must be factored into your game for you to determine when the right time there is to shoot or move. Even the best shooters are wise to move in situations where their opponent is getting weak, as opposed to shooting a shot that they are a slight favorite to pocket even if that shot gives them the win. The above is playing momentum and using it to your advantage. Also when your game is down and you're playing poorly you will fare better if you move more than shoot in challenging situations. In situations like the above you must make your opponent work for every thing instead of serving it up to him off of a miss.:eek: I'm sure we have all been there many times, and in retrospect as we look back at what happened we wish we would of 'moved' instead of shooting.:frus

Shooting or moving is subjective, based off of one's skill level and knowledge. You will do much better if you have a great understanding of your game (skill level..options) and make your decisions based mainly off of that.

Bill Incardona
Well put Dr.Bill