There are only 4 banks!

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
In watching Larry's off the point bank thread with Danny D. commentating it reminded me of a Bank Pool video with Danny D. commentating.
During this video of banks Danny D. stated; "there are only 4 kinds of banks in pool, there is the cross side, cross corner, back bank, and straight back, all others are multiple rails"!

In calling a bank shot we only have BCAPL that has rules that govern Bank Pool, and they are vague in rules on how to call a bank. BCAPL are also the governing game and general rules for DCC, with DCC adopting their own alternative rules. In DCC under Bank Pool rules it states the player must call the pocket and the number of rails.

I believe Scrzbil wants to get a members bank pool tournament going, so to establish how pockets are called is important. I do not like how the DCC players do it, by pointing the stick at the pocket, it seems it would be a distraction of concentration, and what if you forget to point on an obvious bank?

I would prefer a no call necessary on obvious simple banks or the use of verbally calling a simple bank, like "cross side", or "straight back" for example vs. pointing my stick all around. Also, for instance on calling multiple rail banks such as; 3 rails in the side, 4 rails in the corner, double cross side bank, double straight back, and so forth, that this would be accepted to use the words depicting the banks.
Your thoughts! Whitey

Last edited:

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
In watching Larry's off the point bank thread with Danny D. commentating it reminded me of a Bank Pool video with Danny D. commentating.
During this video of banks Danny D. stated; "there are only 4 kinds of banks in pool, there is the cross side, cross corner, back bank, and straight back, all others are multiple rails"!

In calling a bank shot we only have BCAPL that has rules that govern Bank Pool, and they are vague in rules on how to call a bank. BCAPL are also the governing game and general rules for DCC, with DCC adopting their own alternative rules. In DCC under Bank Pool rules it states the player must call the pocket and the number of rails.

I believe Scrzbil wants to get a members bank pool tournament going, so to establish how pockets are called is important. I do not like how the DCC players do it, by pointing the stick at the pocket, it seems it would be a distraction of concentration, and what if you forget to point on an obvious bank?

I would prefer a no call necessary on obvious simple banks or the use of verbally calling a simple bank, like "cross side", or "straight back" for example vs. pointing my stick all around. Also, for instance on calling multiple rail banks such as; 3 rails in the side, 4 rails in the corner, double cross side bank, double straight back, and so forth, that this would be accepted to use the words depicting the banks.
Your thoughts! Whitey
I was in a bank game today....lol My opponent who is a very good local old school banker called every shot. JB calls every bank out loud and points his stick too. EVERY TIME...So do I but i will also point my hand instead of my stick on occasion on straight backs while calling the pocket verbally. The man that owns the pool room here calls every bank and considers it rude if you don't do the same. I watched a video of John and Miller at DCC a while back. Miller didn't call obvious shots while JB did. I find it very rude for normal play much less tournament play and it personally ruined the match for me. Then there was the two railer that Shane didn't call and tried to take it lol https://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6307&page=9 Don't get me wrong. I don't expect someone to point their stick on a cross side or obvious straight back, but i do expect them to call every bank out loud OR point their stick at the hole. Either way i want them to call every shot. I think it is a great way to teach new players and too me its not a distraction and part of my pre shot routine.. I think its also very lazy for someone not calling them.

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Crabbcatjohn, I reviewed the thread you posted, and the one important thing I took away from it was that John B. stated that he has not have trouble when he always calls the pocket, and he keeps a close eye on his opponent.
Since threading this I once again reviewed some 2018 DCC matches amongst top players, and while never paying much attention to their calling of pockets, but now I am focused, I soon realized that verbally calling a pocket would not be effective for there is so much back ground noise, music playing, and announcer noise, that no one could here the call.
It appears that on obvious shots that there are players that do not call them, but if it accidently goes an additional rail and pockets in an non obvious pocket then there is no argument, and the ball is spotted. In watching John B. vs. Jason Miller, I seen this happen, for Jason does not call obvious shots. I did see Pagualayan do the two railer as in the thread you posted, without calling it, and John Morra didn't blink!
So I have to take back my statement about pointing the stick and not liking it, for at DCC it sure is better than trying to verbally call the shot. It is not the old days where you could here a pin drop. I always verbally called my banks, but today when there is all the noise the stick is better. thanks for your post! Whitey

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Crabbcatjohn, I reviewed the thread you posted, and the one important thing I took away from it was that John B. stated that he has not have trouble when he always calls the pocket, and he keeps a close eye on his opponent.
Since threading this I once again reviewed some 2018 DCC matches amongst top players, and while never paying much attention to their calling of pockets, but now I am focused, I soon realized that verbally calling a pocket would not be effective for there is so much back ground noise, music playing, and announcer noise, that no one could here the call.
It appears that on obvious shots that there are players that do not call them, but if it accidently goes an additional rail and pockets in an non obvious pocket then there is no argument, and the ball is spotted. In watching John B. vs. Jason Miller, I seen this happen, for Jason does not call obvious shots. I did see Pagualayan do the two railer as in the thread you posted, without calling it, and John Morra didn't blink!
So I have to take back my statement about pointing the stick and not liking it, for at DCC it sure is better than trying to verbally call the shot. It is not the old days where you could here a pin drop. I always verbally called my banks, but today when there is all the noise the stick is better. thanks for your post! Whitey
If you've ever been in a DCC banks final table crowd you can hear a pin drop before the shot. John does the same thing there. A lot of us were taught that is the correct way here in Kentucky. I don't think you need to point to a hole on a obvious shot unless you are going multiple rails or not verbally calling it, but you need to at least call your shot in some way. I'm pretty sure after the Shane/Morra incident Kenny asks you to call every shot in the arena now.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
No, Jason Miller the DCC champion banker from Ohio i think? I couldn't remember his first name so i just put Miller. Darn Millers are all the same any way...:lol.

Jason indeed, from Dayton (or used to be), played pretty jam up in the day at all games, still plays pretty good...

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Jason indeed, from Dayton (or used to be), played pretty jam up in the day at all games, still plays pretty good...

The amazing thing about Jason Miller, is that the last 2 DCC Bank pool championships he won , he was almost retired from playing .
He came out a week or so before each tournament and practiced, and that was it for the whole year.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
The amazing thing about Jason Miller, is that the last 2 DCC Bank pool championships he won , he was almost retired from playing .
He came out a week or so before each tournament and practiced, and that was it for the whole year.

I believe it, he always had (has) so much raw natural talent!

chicagomike

Verified Member
Whenever I play I call the pocket any generally point if it’s noisy or my opponent isn’t paying attention so others might see my intention.