The night i played Handsome Danny,

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
His nickname was handsome Danny, U.J. said he named himself, he looked like a Georgia ground Squirrel, but Danny had a way with the Ladies.
I was in New Iberia, they asked me if I knew Crook neck from Baton Rouge ?
This was after his car wreck.

I faintly remember hearing about his wreck.

Tomato Stew

From
Springfield, MA
I knew Danny in Houston in the late 1960's. We both hung out at LeCue in downtown. Danny was a smart gambler, picked his games well, always low key. And he was handsome; that is true.
Those were great days and nights. Great players and great characters. I was barely a shortstop, yet a reasonably savvy gambler. Kind of a highlight was winning four games of one pocket playing Jack Breit for $20 per game. (with a big spot of course) He wanted to meet me in the parking lot!)
Ronnie Allen, Richie Florence, Kelly, Fats, Johnny Vevis, Danny Jones, Greg Stevens, Jack Terry, James Christopher, Young Squirrel, Grady Matthew's, etc., etc., etc. I wish I could turn back time.
Tomato Stew Reed

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I knew Danny in Houston in the late 1960's. We both hung out at LeCue in downtown. Danny was a smart gambler, picked his games well, always low key. And he was handsome; that is true.
Those were great days and nights. Great players and great characters. I was barely a shortstop, yet a reasonably savvy gambler. Kind of a highlight was winning four games of one pocket playing Jack Breit for $20 per game. (with a big spot of course) He wanted to meet me in the parking lot!)
Ronnie Allen, Richie Florence, Kelly, Fats, Johnny Vevis, Danny Jones, Greg Stevens, Jack Terry, James Christopher, Young Squirrel, Grady Matthew's, etc., etc., etc. I Bramlet wish I could turn back time.
Tomato Stew Reed
I remember you well Stew, All the players you named were there, except Kelly. You were very
good matching up yourself.
To add to your list....San Jose Dick, Duke, Jack Cooney, Louis (little hand) Bramlet, Jack Perkins.
Bob Ogburn.
Hope you're well.
Rodney.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
You skipped over Tall Jimmy who went an entire lifetime undefeated and stayed totally unknown, but he was damn sure there….
Might have had the best win/loss record of any pool hustler ever! And that wasn’t his only talent, he was a world class gin rummy player,
and one hell of a sports handicapper too…. I often wondered back in those days of old, how good could Jimmy have been if he didn’t just up and quit?

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
You skipped over Tall Jimmy who went an entire lifetime undefeated and stayed totally unknown, but he was damn sure there….
Might have had the best win/loss record of any pool hustler ever! And that wasn’t his only talent, he was a world class gin rummy player,
and one hell of a sports handicapper too…. I often wondered back in those days of old, how good could Jimmy have been if he didn’t just up and quit?
:):):)

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Where would I have been without him ?
P S I could add many more to the list.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
What was yall's impression of Johnny Vevis back then. He may have been past his time, and I guess he had a drug problem, but I heard he was one of the best, especially at one hole. True?

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
What was yall's impression of Johnny Vevis back then. He may have been past his time, and I guess he had a drug problem, but I heard he was one of the best, especially at one hole. True?
Yes he was over the hill then. I saw him 10 years earlier in Memphis and he was a whiz bang
player !

Tomato Stew

From
Springfield, MA
I remember you well Stew, All the players you named were there, except Kelly. You were very
good matching up yourself.
To add to your list....San Jose Dick, Duke, Jack Cooney, Louis (little hand) Bramlet, Jack Perkins.
Bob Ogburn.
Hope you're well.
Rodney.
Hi Androd, thanks for writing. I'm trying to remember you. Ed Kelly was there only for a few days. I remember him showing us his skills at three cushion billiards, a great game but rarely played at LeCue. There was only one table in the front corner. I would go to night school at U of H (Cougar High) and then go straight to LeCue, scratching a living by side betting and matching up pretty well. Jack Terry was the smartest gambler, but he hung out mostly at T.J. Parkers I think. I look back and am amazed that I supported myself then by playing pool. Manchild in the promised land? I never played better than a weak shortstop, but I traveled East Texas playing local heroes and somehow usually managed to win money. I miss those days. Life was simple, fun, and a great learning experience for a kid from New England. Thanks again. Cheers!

Tomato Stew

From
Springfield, MA
Where would I have been without him ?
P S I could add many more to the list.
Tall Jimmy was a top tier shortstop. I asked him for the six and the breaks once; he said no, but he probably could have won. I'm very glad he said no, in retrospect. I think he wanted more of a sure thing. Later, I was winning money at a local bar in Houston, and they called Tall Jimmy to sneak in to rob me. Thankfully I knew him, and made a polite quick exit. I never knew him well. The more I saw him, the more I wanted to side bet on him. But he rarely matched up at LeCue. He was somewhat of an enigma to me.

Tomato Stew

From
Springfield, MA
Does anyone remember Blue Shirt at LeCue in the late 1960's? He got his name from blue chalk stains on his shirts. He was an older black man. We played one pocket several times and broke even. He rarely ever ran more than three balls, but it seemed like I was always frozen to the back of the rack. I think he had more pleasure locking me up than making runs. He was a quiet man, rarely if ever showed emotion.