The Line between Gopher and Amazing

beatle

Verified Member
those that win most of the time will bet their own as why split winnings. its the losing players that need backers no matter how well they play.
ive gotten asked many times for a piece of my action but i tell them sure if you give me the same piece of your income.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
To be crystal clear also, this is not what I said. To be stupid to get into a bad game does not mean a person is stupid in other things. And he definitely isn’t.
Have you ever met a pro pool player who was a rockit sientest?

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
those that win most of the time will bet their own as why split winnings. its the losing players that need backers no matter how well they play.
ive gotten asked many times for a piece of my action but i tell them sure if you give me the same piece of your income.
Beatle,
Where did, do, you play?
I assume you’re still playing?
Anyway,
When you play or played, and you were bettin your own money and had a lock, and somebody asked you for a piece and you said “No” what did you say, or do when that same person asked the guy you were playing to bet on the side? Did you allow it? And if so, did you expect a piece of what he won betting on the side?

When it happened to me occasionally I wouldn’t allow it! I’d call the guy over quietly and tell him that he shouldn’t have interfered with my action, that asking a player in action was considered a knock of somebodies game and could easily wise up the mark to him having a bad game. Just wasn’t kosher among people who earned a living playing pool...

It happens though, I’ve seen it a few times when sweating some local action, and the player/hustler always asks the side bettors for jelly when the game is finished... And usually gets it...

beatle

Verified Member
jeff ive handled it in different ways. usually i tell my opponent the window is open for all bets so it doesnt happen to often where someone will try to force themselves, a side bet on me. but ive asked them not to as a courtesy. that usually works. when it didnt i tell my opponent his action is with me. sometimes rarely my opponent says this way i can win yours and his so tough luck.
now im in a pickle so i tell the person if you bet on me i will lose on purpose. i remember getting called on it and the first shot i just blasted the balls then forfeited the game.. he got the message.
side bettors that bet with someone not part of the game , you cant do much about. but try to cover those bets as well.
it was a bad thing as lots of times who i was playing would get the jitters because if others wanted to bet on me it must be a bad game for them. so asking my opponent for a side bet is the same as knocking and i would let them know it.

beatle

Verified Member
jeff if playing where people didnt know me which was most places they wanted to bet against me after watching me play for awhile there. one bar where there was good action long ago, i set it up real good and about 20 or so sweaters were there for the game. it wasnt hustlers but locals that were regular people . well i had side bets with every single person in the stands from 5 bucks to a 100 each game. no way to keep track of the bets as they changed each game so i would just pay attention each game to 4 or 5 of them to see if i was getting a straight count. all were good.

here is the real story though. the guy was playing me for like 3 dollars a game as that is all he bets. and after i got ahead a bunch he wanted to quit. so i started giving him change for a twenty when he gave me a ten spot. that kept him around till the sweaters slowed down and he said he couldnt take the pressure any more. pressure for 3 bucks or the crowd losing because of him. i didnt ask.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I believe this is somewhat on point for this thread. It is a really good match throughout, or just go to the final set, oh, about 1:55 min. mark or so, and watch the conclusion. Whitey

What was the main thing wrong with the shot Tony shot? Besides it is a very difficult shot , that's obvious.
But, there is a concept in the shot he didn't follow imo.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
What was the main thing wrong with the shot Tony shot? Besides it is a very difficult shot , that's obvious.
But, there is a concept in the shot he didn't follow imo.
Billy, you have to be specific as to what shot and time it was taken in the video.
If memory serves me right, Tony in pocketing a ball off the side rail, he then lost position, and thus ended his run which gave Alex the initial chance to get back into the match. I have noticed this problem with Tony, not controlling the cb when cutting a ball in that is frozen on either the side or foot rail, for he misses shape thereafter. It happened a few times against Busty, and thus horribly stopping his run. Whitey

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Imo at 138.50 where he shoots at the 3 ball is an error...not because he missed it, but because he had a better shot... he could have banked the 6 ( green ball) and left him with no shot because all the balls were already doubled up.. Banking the 6 and getting it close to the pocket puts Alex in a tough spot...

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Billy, you have to be specific as to what shot and time it was taken in the video.
If memory serves me right, Tony in pocketing a ball off the side rail, he then lost position, and thus ended his run which gave Alex the initial chance to get back into the match. I have noticed this problem with Tony, not controlling the cb when cutting a ball in that is frozen on either the side or foot rail, for he misses shape thereafter. It happened a few times against Busty, and thus horribly stopping his run. Whitey
Sorry, it was Tonys last shot of the match, he kicked 2 rails out of the corner, and the ball tracked towards his pocket , didn't go, and left Alex a 3 railer , which he made.

beatle

Verified Member
alex could have left tony a bank more so than making it. i was surprised he shot it that way with the cueball leave.

unoperro

Verified Member
alex could have left tony a bank more so than making it. i was surprised he shot it that way with the cueball leave.

I would guess Alex felt the table played fast enough that if he missed Tony would have nothing.
I know I miss and the object ball dbls the points and goes up about 4" leaving a ball-in-hand type bank🙄

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Imo at 138.50 where he shoots at the 3 ball is an error...not because he missed it, but because he had a better shot... he could have banked the 6 ( green ball) and left him with no shot because all the balls were already doubled up.. Banking the 6 and getting it close to the pocket puts Alex in a tough spot...
I see both sides of this shot , Tony has to be thinking , I have a makeable shot and I will track toward making more balls , or I play a safety game with probably the best in the business.
Not such a hard choice I guess. I also think he should have played the 6 if he could get the cueball safe without a bunch of crazy stuff on it. But I can see his thinking.