The Jointed Cue in Sacramento Closed Down

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
This is very sad news. The Jointed Cue has been around almost 50 years and holds fond memories for pool players all over the country.

While not much one pocket was played there, it was a grand old time pool room that saw many champions come and go and all will miss their ‘World Famous Cheeseburgers’.

The memorabilia and pictures from days past were always a treat to see and even though I had been going there almost forty years myself, you could always find something on the walls you missed seeing before.

beatle

Verified Member
i have a good memory of that place as well. i used to go there and play eddie clark a lot. he had lots of money in those days(1970's). and was the best player in sacramento at the time. good for a few g's whenever you locked him up. he had a piece of the joint or managed it and had some scam at georgiannes card room in sac. then i think he went the cocaine route and fell apart. he did play 9 ball well but his one pocket was weak.
it was certainly a great pool room

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Sorry to hear about Terry's old place. I was only there for a coupla tournaments in the early '90s, but the history of the place was always palpable. I loved those old tournament charts posted high around the room from the '70s. All the great old rooms are gradually dropping out. C'est la vie... Well at least y'all still have a good room to play at.

~Doc

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i have a good memory of that place as well. i used to go there and play eddie clark a lot. he had lots of money in those days(1970's). and was the best player in sacramento at the time. good for a few g's whenever you locked him up. he had a piece of the joint or managed it and had some scam at georgiannes card room in sac. then i think he went the cocaine route and fell apart. he did play 9 ball well but his one pocket was weak.
it was certainly a great pool room

beatle
its not like you to show your speed and play the best player around..:confused:
he must have been a great score.......:)

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
this is terrible news they posted there may be a chance to save the place but does not sound any where close to sure. the back room there is probably the best place to sweat pool I have ever been. I am sad when any pool hall closes but this one is such a piece of history it is terrible to lose.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I read he closed down rather than face a lawsuit from a serial suiter that has filed more than 2000 ADA lawsuits. The guy has a seeing eye dog, why does he want to be in a pool room? I could understand it if you went to a place and you wanted to be a regular patron, you ask the owner to fix things for you and others, you dont file a federal lawsuit to punish someone. ADA is a two edged sword. Im glad handicap is available to me when I need it but when I dont need it, I dont use it. The only people I have sued because of it was my employer for not letting me keep my job, just because I was unable to do it shouldnt matter, right? What it came down too was they wouldnt let me work but didnt want me to collect my retirement. I would have much rather kept my very good paying job with benefits.

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
As we lawyers like to say, it's complicated. And I get a feeling that there is much more to this story than an ADA complaint.

I've owned a small restaurant that had to comply with ADA, and I've represented clients who have had complaints made against them and then been sued by Scott Johnson. Here's the deal. ADA has been around for decades now. There are lots of sections and regs that specify the ameliorative steps that must be taken by businesses open to the public. They've been known for many many years. On the whole, I think, the regs are basically fair in that they attempt to change, over the long run, the hurdles and hazards and barriers that disabled people have had to contend with forever. Many businesses don't comply, for many reasons, including cost, but there really isn't an enforcement mechanism to make sure they do because the state and feds don't allocate sufficient staff and resources to monitor everyone or take action against non-compliers. That's why the ADA and related statutes provide incentives to private attorneys who handle such cases on behalf of disabled people. The incentive is statutory fees to the prevailing party, which is enough to get many lawyers, including Johnson, to do this work. Johnson, by all accounts, is a creep, but he's an equal opportunity creep. Big and small, mom and pop and corporate giants, he ferrets out non-compliance, ID's the specifics, and then basically gives the company a deadline to comply with the laws. In the complaints I've seen, he doesn't make shit up...all the specifics have been factually accurate. And the laws are clear cut: strict liability for violations. But it doesn't have to be a death knell for a business. The way to handle his action is to promptly verify what really has to be done, and then to make an agreement to take steps to improve whatever gets left in via negotiation over a reasonable amount of time...and pay him a smallish fee (under $7500 the last time I encountered him). Then, you have to avail yourself of the resources that are available via loans and gov't compliance support programs, and do it. Yes, its a hassle, but it is part of the cost of doing business.

All that said, I really do hope the Jointed Cue emerges better and stronger than ever. I've only played there a few times, back when I played a little 9 ball, but not since the mid 90s. I do remember that cheeseburger...but honestly I always liked the one at Hard Times better.

baby huey

Verified Member
Tobermory, thanks for the inside scoop. I have mixed feelings about the ADA stuff. Too me, it should be a process not an abrupt pendulum swing. Local city government shouldn't relicense businesses who are non-compliant and should help them gain compliance via buildout timelines and perhaps zero % loans and etc. I'm not so sure that attorneys who go around suing small businesses are doing a service for the Disability community. I would like to think they are but we really don't know. California seems to be at the forefront in this area and I'm not so sure that these types of lawsuits would fly in other states. I recently had a passenger in my car who has a legitimate disability and we needed to use handicapped parking which he had a sticker for. As I drove around the parking area I saw many persons with stickers on their cars who walked just fine. I had to drop my passenger off and get a parking spot which was Ok with me but I wonder about the old saying, "No good deed should go unpunished." Maybe our attorney here should take a long look at those who abuse the ADA and sue them.