strategy

mohrt

Verified Member
From
Lincoln NE
I'm fairly new at one pocket trying to absorb as much info as possible. I was discussing the game with a very seasoned 8-ball/9-ball player that is all self-taught, including the game of one-pocket. Here was his one-line explanation of the strategy of one-pocket:

"One pocket is a race to get the last ball up-table." So what he's saying, you are both battling to move the balls away from the foot of the table, and if you are the person to move the last ball up there, you are in an advantageous position.

Now I know the game is far more complex than just that, but what are your thoughts on this strategy? Or is this just one style of play, or typical early-game play? Or?

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
I'm fairly new at one pocket trying to absorb as much info as possible. I was discussing the game with a very seasoned 8-ball/9-ball player that is all self-taught, including the game of one-pocket. Here was his one-line explanation of the strategy of one-pocket:

"One pocket is a race to get the last ball up-table." So what he's saying, you are both battling to move the balls away from the foot of the table, and if you are the person to move the last ball up there, you are in an advantageous position.

Now I know the game is far more complex than just that, but what are your thoughts on this strategy? Or is this just one style of play, or typical early-game play? Or?
One pocket to me is moving until you get the first good shot at your hole and when you do make the most of it.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Well you've come to the right spot to get some answers. I'm not sure about the strategy given to you but it goes against my opinion. Unless they have a double meaning to what they're saying.
I like to keep them in play until I can force them into a mistake and then I'm ready to pounce on it and gobble up as many balls as I can. Hard to do if they are all uptable. If your getting a hefty spot then it might benifit you if they are up table.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
for the op the person ahead in the score will usually try to move the balls up table first
stick around you will learn alot of strategy
also get come accustat tapes as you can learn from the commentators
last bit of advice probably not good to take onepocket advice from a 8/9 baller...:eek:
jmho
icbw

Fatboy

Verified Member
From
Vegas & LA

I have heard players who are better bankers say "Push the balls up table and bank in what you need to win". Thats one style, Lenny's style is more power one pocket, get outside the balls and run out. same game 2 different styles of play. You have to decide what style of play suits your abilities and play that game. Its good to be good at both cause depending on who your playing you will need to have everything to play winning one hole.

Some times you just wait for the other guy to make a mistake and play off that-if your playing a weaker player. some guys dont make mistakes often enough to play that stragity.

point is there are several ways to play onehole