Strange Situation

bstroud

Verified Member
Joined
May 29, 2010
Messages
1,426
I was playing yesterday giving a guy 13 to 5 and the break and a situation came up I have never seen before.

There were 8 or 9 balls on the table and I needed them all.
The 6 ball was hung in the pocket opposite my hole up table.
I played position on the 2 ball so I could also billiard into the 6 ball making it and then playing position on the 11 ball.

All worked as planed and I ran all the balls. The last shot I played position on the spot where the 6 would be spotted.

Mark had the 6 in his hand and refused to spot it saying my inning was not over.
I had nothing to shoot at and was still at the table.
Now what?

We has a big argument.

What's the answer?

I said that I could not finish my inning at the table without something to shoot at.

Bill Stroud
 

vapros

Verified Member
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
3,425
Shoot until you miss or win, Bill. I'm pretty sure that's the answer. If you need the six, it goes up when the table is bare.
 

wincardona

Verified Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2007
Messages
7,292
bstroud said:
I was playing yesterday giving a guy 13 to 5 and the break and a situation came up I have never seen before.

There were 8 or 9 balls on the table and I needed them all.
The 6 ball was hung in the pocket opposite my hole up table.
I played position on the 2 ball so I could also billiard into the 6 ball making it and then playing position on the 11 ball.

All worked as planed and I ran all the balls. The last shot I played position on the spot where the 6 would be spotted.

Mark had the 6 in his hand and refused to spot it saying my inning was not over.
I had nothing to shoot at and was still at the table.
Now what?

We has a big argument.

What's the answer?

I said that I could not finish my inning at the table without something to shoot at.

Bill Stroud
You're kidding, right? It seems at your age your eyesight is still good, and your nerves seem intact, it's your memory that concerns me. Surely this came up when you were young and playing good, these are outs we dream of making, and now at your age your being denied by a technicality.:eek:

Now that you were denied the win and knocked your game, what's next?;)

Billy I.
 

bstroud

Verified Member
Joined
May 29, 2010
Messages
1,426
Billy,

You're right.
Actually it was the day before yesterday.
Yes, I still see very well and I have to run a lot of 8's and 10's to beat Mark.
He banks very well but doesn't run balls as well as he should. Gun shy I think.
Anyway that's when it came up and I have never seen anything like it before.
I thought we should spot the 6 and I should will the game. He didn't. We compromised.

Bill
 

NH Steve

Administrator
Joined
Apr 25, 2004
Messages
8,746
Bill, the official rules here on OnePocket.org are clear -- the ball would spot and you would keep shooting:

9.2 Any penalty balls owed by the shooter, or balls pocketed in a neutral pocket, are to be spotted at the end of the shooter’s inning. However, if a player runs off all the balls on the table without reaching a winning score, then all such balls are spotted immediately (all at once, not one ball at a time), and the shooter continues their inning. At no other time in One Pocket are balls spotted during any shooter’s ongoing inning.
Our rules are here:
http://www.onepocket.org/one_pocket_pool_rules.htm

My understanding from talking to well-known tournament directors is that our rules are what they use for "official rules" for One Pocket -- sometimes with minor "house" variations.

The BCA rules for One Pocket contain some terrible pitfalls contrary to standard One Pocket protocol and are woefully incomplete as well.
 

lll

Verified Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2007
Messages
14,872
bstroud said:
I thought we should spot the 6 and I should will the game.

Bill
i assume you meant WIN the game.
yes you are right .
the 6 spots
you shoot it in
YOU WIN:)
now go get your other half of the winnings:eek: :D
 

lll

Verified Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2007
Messages
14,872
Bill,

rule 9.2 below is from the official rules of one pocket
http://onepocket.org/one_pocket_pool_rules.htm

9.2 Any penalty balls owed by the shooter, or balls pocketed in a neutral pocket, are to be spotted at the end of the shooter’s inning. However, if a player runs off all the balls on the table without reaching a winning score, then all such balls are spotted immediately (all at once, not one ball at a time), and the shooter continues their inning. At no other time in One Pocket are balls spotted during any shooter’s ongoing inning.
 

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
Joined
May 15, 2005
Messages
2,215
Guy sounds like a schmuck, you should print this out and show him the rules and then perhaps part ways. If you made an out like that I would not rain on your parade but shake your hand and buy you a drink. ;)
 

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
Joined
Aug 31, 2005
Messages
2,399
Even with my limited one pocket experiences I have seen this at least twice that I can remember and the ball was spotted each time with no arguments.
 

bstroud

Verified Member
Joined
May 29, 2010
Messages
1,426
I read the rules online and am not sure if I want to play that way or not.

The 3 foul rule takes a lot away from the better player.
I give a lot of weight all the time and if I can get my opponent to take a couple of intentional scratches behind me he is dead meat. Running a few more balls means nothing to me but one or two balls to a weaker player is a lot.
Who in the world came up with that idea. It surely wasn't a player.

I guess intentional fouls are the most overlooked shot in 0ne pocket.

Bill Stroud
 

NH Steve

Administrator
Joined
Apr 25, 2004
Messages
8,746
bstroud said:
I read the rules online and am not sure if I want to play that way or not.

The 3 foul rule takes a lot away from the better player.
I give a lot of weight all the time and if I can get my opponent to take a couple of intentional scratches behind me he is dead meat. Running a few more balls means nothing to me but one or two balls to a weaker player is a lot.
Who in the world came up with that idea. It surely wasn't a player.

I guess intentional fouls are the most overlooked shot in 0ne pocket.

Bill Stroud
Many players like you stipulate that three fouls is not loss of game when gambling -- our rules even state that as an option. As far as who came up with the rule -- the answer is George Jansco -- at least the Johnston City tournaments is where it first came in to play.
 
Top