Ruleing

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
I friend of mine asked me this morning a question that I couldn't answer for sure.
He asked, if an object ball goes off the table in a game of one pocket is it considered a foul or do you just spot it back up.
I never have done it because I never had a shot playing one pocket that needed that much force. I know that in many rotation games it is a foul and BIH if you're playing those rules.

In one pocket we do it all the time with a ball hanging in your opponent's pocket. But in those cases it's the cue ball off the table and an obvious foul.
I know this is a simple question and I'm sure it's addressed somewhere but I thought I would put it out here for a quick response.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Ruleing

If ANY ball leaves the playing surface (other than being pocketed) it is a foul.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Frank, it was never a foul in older days. Fouls on CB only. Now you have apa, blah blah blah. every hacker says it's a foul. It's a foul in tourneys.
I never argue about it any longer.
Rod.
P.S. Stupid if you're playing fouls on CB only.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Ruleing

Frank, it was never a foul in older days. Fouls on CB only. Now you have apa, blah blah blah. every hacker says it's a foul. It's a foul in tourneys.

I never argue about it any longer.

Rod.

P.S. Stupid if you're playing fouls on CB only.

If ANY ball leaves the playing surface (other than being pocketed) it is a foul.

Keep in mind- frank didn't ask what I would do, just what the "rule" is. Fact is, I learned from you guys here never to be to stringent on rules if I m gambling (esp if I have the best of it). I have spotted the ball and not called it a foul while gambling as well personally.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I friend of mine asked me this morning a question that I couldn't answer for sure.
He asked, if an object ball goes off the table in a game of one pocket is it considered a foul or do you just spot it back up.
I never have done it because I never had a shot playing one pocket that needed that much force. I know that in many rotation games it is a foul and BIH if you're playing those rules.

In one pocket we do it all the time with a ball hanging in your opponent's pocket. But in those cases it's the cue ball off the table and an obvious foul.
I know this is a simple question and I'm sure it's addressed somewhere but I thought I would put it out here for a quick response.

frank
this the rule from our site
6.5 Driving either the cue ball or an object ball off the table is a foul, whenever either comes to rest off the playing surface, or comes in contact with anything other than the table itself while airborne.

Please note that One Pocket has been traditionally played in many areas without a foul charged for jumping an object ball off the table, contrary to current general pocket billiards rules; therefore it is important to verify house rules or your tournament director's interpretation prior to an important match.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

It's not a foul if you're playing me.

Dennis

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I agree with Rod and Dennis. I have always taught newbies that we play cue ball fouls only. Object ball on floor is an object ball foul and we don't count those. BTW the criterion for any off table foul is where it comes to rest--not that it leaves the bed of the table. Most shots make the cue ball leave the bed of the table momentarily.

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
Why do we take a very straight forward question that has a very straight forward answer in black and white in OUR VERY OWN rules promulgated by this beloved organization, and start talking about exceptions or variations in past times as if one way is somehow better than another.

It certainly makes no difference which way you play, so why not play by the rules. For those that love this game so much and cannot abide any changes to the rules for any reason, we sure do want to defend our little piccadilos whenever we get the chance, and add to whatever confusion there is.

We should just stipulate that when gambling, there are no rules except those the participants agree to of course. But why anyone would want to change ,even while gambling, a rule like this escapes me, where is the advantage for anyone? You knock OB's off the table frequently, so you don't want to play by this rule???:confused:

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Other than the shot where you intentionally pocket a hanging ball and jump the table, I have seen exactly one object ball and one cue ball leave the playing surface, and it was Corey Deuel's crazy ass both times. That is to say, it is exceedingly rare in one pocket.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Other than the shot where you intentionally pocket a hanging ball and jump the table, I have seen exactly one object ball and one cue ball leave the playing surface, and it was Corey Deuel's crazy ass both times. That is to say, it is exceedingly rare in one pocket.
Where does the ball have to go in the pocket to be legal?

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
I think this can use some clarifying (see below).

...this the rule from our site
6.5 Driving either the cue ball or an object ball off the table is a foul, whenever either comes to rest off the playing surface, or comes in contact with anything other than the table itself while airborne.
At least some common written rules (BCA/WPA rules, for instance) say a ball can actually jump up onto the rail, roll along it, and return to the playing surface without it being a foul - so long as it doesn't make contact with any non-table object (while airborne or not), like a cube of chalk.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
Where does the ball have to go in the pocket to be legal?
One answer to this (according to some common rules): if a ball comes to rest so that it would fall into the pocket, but doesn't because it's being held up by another ball (either because they're both wedged between the pocket facings or because the pocket is full of other balls) - i.e., if its center is past the edge of the slate - then it's considered pocketed.

pj
chgo

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
One answer to this (according to some common rules): if a ball comes to rest so that it would fall into the pocket, but doesn't because it's being held up by another ball (either because they're both wedged between the pocket facings or because the pocket is full of other balls) - i.e., if its center is past the edge of the slate - then it's considered pocketed.

pj
chgo

if the pocket is full and you didnt empty it before your shot
and the ball bounces out doesnt that NOT count as your ball and you stop shooting???

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
and the ball bounces out doesnt that NOT count as your ball and you stop shooting???

That is how one pocket has always been played, which is why you see folks who are shooting into drop pockets take the balls and deposit them into their side pockets. Some older nine-ballers do this as well, such as Archer and even Jeanette Lee.

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
That's right of course, but the rule I mentioned isn't about a ball that bounces out; it's about a ball that stays in/over the pocket without dropping.

pj
chgo

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
That is how one pocket has always been played, which is why you see folks who are shooting into drop pockets take the balls and deposit them into their side pockets. Some older nine-ballers do this as well, such as Archer and even Jeanette Lee.

They do it shooting at any kind of pockets. I'm the only one around here that puts his balls in the rack in the foot of the table.
They've either stolen someones ball or been the victim of same.
Rod.