Record Book -- One Pocket tourney results

JAM

Verified Member
Strawberry's '92 Tournament Results!

Strawberry's '92 Tournament Results!

NH Steve said:
Still missing most Stardust Events
Strawberry's 1992 tournament (even though I was there and have the t-shirt to prove it -- damned if I remember who won.

According to the current Capital City Classic tournament director, Dennis Wilson, Mike Sigel won the '92 Strawberry tournament, with Nick Varner coming in second place.

Apparently, at the conclusion of this tournament, Mike Sigel had to leave immediately to attend another tournament and desired an all-cash payout. Dennis Wilson personally delivered the monies to Mike Sigel for his first-place win in Strawberry's tournament.

The Stardust results need to be obtained. Surely, somebody who may have attended these events (in the '60s?) may have a program or some memorabilia as a keepsake. Hopefully, through word of mouth, the right guy who was there and may KNOW what happened will report back.

Stevelomako should have a wealth of knowledge (IMO).

JAM

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
gulfportdoc said:
Yeah, I guess Lil John is playing well. He snapped off the Red Rifle over in Kenner a couple weeks ago. I understand Jamie gave him 10-7, and lost; then 9-7 and lost. They were playing for several large. Evidently John got in the zone right of the bat, and was making everything he was shooting at. I don't think Jamie ever found his "A" game.

Haven't heard anything from Mobile, but I imagine the action will escalate right into the tournament next month. Did you say that will be Aug. 7? I heard Wade Crane has been staying over there. I imagine his one hole game would be awful tough!!

That 67 Mustang 390 must have been an awesome rig. Hell they didn't come out with Mustangs until '65, did they? Or was it '63? Lost too many neurons.

Doc
Mustang came out in 64 1/2. It was called a 65, Doc. Thanks for the up-date on the Lil Jon-Jamie match. I had never known how they matched up. Good info, Doc.

I think Pelican said the tournament was the 7th. I don't know.

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
hemicudas said:
Mustang came out in 64 1/2. It was called a 65, Doc. Thanks for the up-date on the Lil Jon-Jamie match. I had never known how they matched up. Good info, Doc.

I think Pelican said the tournament was the 7th. I don't know.

Never played or saw Lil'John, but I did see Jamie up close at the DCC tournament in 2002. We play some banks and 9 ball and I got crushed. I didn't know who he was.

I watched Jamie place the 9 ball on the wing spot (using the Sardo rack) while playing on the TV table against Ralph Souquet. The 9 ball went in so fast, even Ralph was stunned. They played the game over after Scott Smith spoke with Pat Flemming about the ruling. Game starts with a legal rack. One ball at apex, 9 ball in the center. The game would have put Ralph on the hill. Jamie lost the match anyway.

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
SactownTom said:
Never played or saw Lil'John, but I did see Jamie up close at the DCC tournament in 2002. We play some banks and 9 ball and I got crushed. I didn't know who he was.

I watched Jamie place the 9 ball on the wing spot (using the Sardo rack) while playing on the TV table against Ralph Souquet. The 9 ball went in so fast, even Ralph was stunned. They played the game over after Scott Smith spoke with Pat Flemming about the ruling. Game starts with a legal rack. One ball at apex, 9 ball in the center. The game would have put Ralph on the hill. Jamie lost the match anyway.
Tom, Jamie is originally from Baton Rouge. He and I lived in the same little town in Illinois, Shorewood, for a few years. We both got tired of the Chicago winters and moved back south. If Jamie is in the right gear, he is capable of beating a ton of folks. He won the Professor's first ring 10 ball game. Danny Basavich can attest to that, lol. Danny lost 25 games in a row and was the first player eleminated, lol. Jamie, like Lil Jon, can get staked, REAL high. Humphrey likes Jamie's action a lot. Lil Jon's stake horse has a lot of heart too.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
JAM said:
According to the current Capital City Classic tournament director, Dennis Wilson, Mike Sigel won the '92 Strawberry tournament, with Nick Varner coming in second place.

Apparently, at the conclusion of this tournament, Mike Sigel had to leave immediately to attend another tournament and desired an all-cash payout. Dennis Wilson personally delivered the monies to Mike Sigel for his first-place win in Strawberry's tournament... <snip>
JAM
I'm still confused about the results of the two tournaments that Dennis Wilson was apparently involved with, though. There was Pete Fusco's event at his own room (I dropped by for a day or so, but have no idea who won). Then Strawberry's first tournament, which was held in maybe New Carlton Maryland, in a hotel. (That's where I got the shirt :) )
Both those events where within 6 months or a year from each other; I think maybe Pete's event was earlier, like late '91, then Strawberry's in '92. If Dennis has any records, or if anyone could dig up any news reports, that would be great! If it was Sigel over Varner in the Fusco event, who was it at Strawberry's??

JAM

Verified Member
HardTimes SECOND Annual One-Pocket Classic 1990

HardTimes SECOND Annual One-Pocket Classic 1990

I keep running into Cecil Tugwell's name relating to one-pocket tourneys.

Hard Times hosted an all-star field for the SECOND annual Hard Times One-Pocket Classic.

In the first match, Efren Reyes quickly defeated Jose "Littleman" Parica. (Littleman?)

The defending titleholder, according to the magazine, was Chris McDonald from the year before, who defeated Billy Incardone and barely got by a 16-year-old Shannon "The Cannon" Daulton.

Moving through the losers' bracket, Efren eliminated Road Warrior "Utah Mark" -- who is that? -- to take on Buddy "The Rifleman" Hall, who had just defeated Danny DeLiberto.

In the winners' bracket, Cecil "The Left Duke" Tugwell, who placed second the year before to Chris McDonald had a revenge match and now faced Efren Reyes in the final showdown.

Cecil, "one of the most feared one-pocket players on the West Coast," was ready to take on the Magician. According to the article, Efren played brilliantly and drew loud applause from the spectators, but the end result was Cecil being the victor. The article states "Cecil's knowledge and experience proved too much for Reyes to escape." The final match and title went to Southern California's own Cecil "The Left Duke" Tugwell.

First place, Cecil Tugwell; second place, Efren Reyes; third place, Buddy Hall; and fourth place, Chris McDonald.

There is a picture of Cecil and Efren, and Efren looks like a young kid, even though it occurred only 14 years ago.

What is a shame is the article is in the September-October 1990 "The Snap" magazine has no dates and no money payouts! :confused:

JAM

JAM

Verified Member
NH Steve said:
I'm still confused about the results of the two tournaments that Dennis Wilson was apparently involved with, though. There was Pete Fusco's event at his own room (I dropped by for a day or so, but have no idea who won). Then Strawberry's first tournament, which was held in maybe New Carlton Maryland, in a hotel. (That's where I got the shirt :) )
Both those events where within 6 months or a year from each other; I think maybe Pete's event was earlier, like late '91, then Strawberry's in '92. If Dennis has any records, or if anyone could dig up any news reports, that would be great! If it was Sigel over Varner in the Fusco event, who was it at Strawberry's??

Steve, Dennis Wilson actually has the original chart used in both of Strawberry's tournaments. I'm not sure about Fusco's event, though. TexasTom said he won it in '93, and according to Dennis, Mike Sigel won Strawberry's tournament in '92, with Nick Varner coming in second. I do believe that both of Strawberry's tournaments were held at that hotel in New Carrollton, Maryland.

I put a call in to Dennis, and when he calls me back, I am going to ask him about Fusco's tourney. He has an incredible pool library with all kinds of pool items, original programs, the sanctioning papers from an older pool organization which crumbled, tournament charts, and a kazillion pictures! He also is very knowledgeable and has uncovered some amazing data relating to pool. Ask him about the little-known fact about Minnesota Fats and Ella Fitzgerald sometime. Amazing!

JAM

Pelican

Verified Member
From
Magnolia Springs, AL
gulfportdoc said:
Haven't heard anything from Mobile, but I imagine the action will escalate right into the tournament next month. Did you say that will be Aug. 7? I heard Wade Crane has been staying over there. I imagine his one hole game would be awful tough!!
Doc

Hey Doc, yep it is the 7/8 th. Wade was over at Breakers when I was there last Sat nite. I know he and Ricky matched up but do not know the details as it was while I was involved in a match on the other side of the room.

Later, Pel :)

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
JAM said:
Moving through the losers' bracket, Efren eliminated Road Warrior "Utah Mark" -- who is that?
Thanks JAM, that's another event for the record!

Utah Mark is probably Mark Tadd

yobagua

Jen did you know that in her bio Blues Singer Etta James claims that she is the illegitimate daughter of the Fat Man. She kind of looks like him too.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Pelican said:
Hey Doc, yep it is the 7/8 th. Wade was over at Breakers when I was there last Sat nite. I know he and Ricky matched up but do not know the details as it was while I was involved in a match on the other side of the room. Later, Pel :)

Hey Pel,

Well the event is in 3 weeks then. I'm planning to go over, but I haven't decided whether or not to play. Bar boxes are not my favorite tables, and I believe Bear will have the players using quarters, rather than leaving the ball boxes open so that red circle cueballs can be used. That plus, with so many heavy hitters, it's going to be difficult to get into the money; so I may just look for you or any other 1p.org players to play some one hole. If there are enough of us, maybe we could play partners. I don't even care if we gamble.

Anyone else going?

Doc

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
If I can make it.

If I can make it.

gulfportdoc said:
Hey Pel,

Well the event is in 3 weeks then. I'm planning to go over, but I haven't decided whether or not to play. Bar boxes are not my favorite tables, and I believe Bear will have the players using quarters, rather than leaving the ball boxes open so that red circle cueballs can be used. That plus, with so many heavy hitters, it's going to be difficult to get into the money; so I may just look for you or any other 1p.org players to play some one hole. If there are enough of us, maybe we could play partners. I don't even care if we gamble.

Anyone else going?

Doc
If I can make it, count me in on the partners one pocket. I love that game. Never know, ya might get lucky and get me as a partner, LOL. Then again, you might get a bad roll and get me too. In total honesty I don't think any player on earth has ever had a greater variance in speed than myself. From playing so bad that I couldn't beat Ned The Primate, The Primate gets the 6 ball from Ned The Primmer, to beating a former U.S. Open winner playing even. Go figure. Hell, these guys from Vicksburg busted me the other day and named this guy after me.

Last edited:

JAM

Verified Member
Geezy peezy, Bill, that is one big kahuna! :D

That fellow on the right looks like Woody Harrelson.

Is that the kind of fishing you'all got down there! Looks like heaven.

JAM

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
JAM said:
Geezy peezy, Bill, that is one big kahuna! :D

That fellow on the right looks like Woody Harrelson.

Is that the kind of fishing you'all got down there! Looks like heaven.

JAM
Yea, Jen, that one came out of my pond, lol. Fishing is real good here though. Y'all gotta come. Take 12-2 and try KM some one hole on the GC4, lol.......................$Bill

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
hemicudas said:
If I can make it, count me in on the partners one pocket. I love that game. Never know, ya might get lucky and get me as a partner, LOL. Then again, you might get a bad roll and get me too. In total honesty I don't think any player on earth has ever had a greater variance in speed than myself. From playing so bad that I couldn't beat Ned The Primate, The Primate gets the 6 ball from Ned The Primmer, to beating a former U.S. Open winner playing even. Go figure. Hell, these guys from Vicksburg busted me the other day and named this guy after me.

Great pic, $Bill! Which of the three are you? :D Well, we'll see what shakes out of the tree over in Mobile. I'm game. Hey, don't knock Ned The Primate, he shoots pretty well at times...

Doc

JAM

Verified Member
Mobile?

Mobile?

hemicudas said:
Yea, Jen, that one came out of my pond, lol. Fishing is real good here though. Y'all gotta come. Take 12-2 and try KM some one hole on the GC4, lol.......................$Bill

Bill, Ronnie called Keith yesterday and left his cell number. He's planning on attending an upcoming big tournament in Mobile and said if Keith comes that Harry Platis might also make the trip! :D

I saw Harry play for the first time at the last Derby City Classic. I was impressed with his banking capabilities. He banks pretty darn good (IMO). I have never met a nicer man on the tournament trail with a genuine passion for the game.

What tournament is happening in Mobile, do you know?

JAM

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
JAM said:
Bill, Ronnie called Keith yesterday and left his cell number. He's planning on attending an upcoming big tournament in Mobile and said if Keith comes that Harry Platis might also make the trip! :D

I saw Harry play for the first time at the last Derby City Classic. I was impressed with his banking capabilities. He banks pretty darn good (IMO). I have never met a nicer man on the tournament trail with a genuine passion for the game.

What tournament is happening in Mobile, do you know?

JAM
Yea, Jennie Ann, Ronnie told me that he called ya. Pelican just sent me this info on the Mobile tourney.

Howdy Bill,

Here is copy from their site:

Two day 9-Ball Bar Table Tournament. $10,000.00 Guaranteed.

August 7th & 8th, 2004

Pay outs based on 128 players. Full field add 15% to each place.

GUARANTEED PAY OUTS
1ST $4,000.00 9TH $200.00
2ND $2,000.00 10TH $200.00
3RD $1,000.00 11TH $200.00
4TH $500.00 12TH $200.00
5TH $350.00 13TH $125.00
6TH $350.00 14TH $125.00
7TH $250.00 15TH $125.00
8TH $250.00 16TH $125.00

PLUS PLAYERS AUCTION!

.75 CENT 3 1/2 X 7 VALLY BAR TABLES.

RACE TO 9, TEXAS EXPRESS RULES. $65.00 ENTRY FEE. WILL START SATURDAY, AUGUST 7TH AT 1:00PM. OPEN 24 HOURS FOR TOURNAMENT. $3.00 DOOR CHARGE FOR ALL SPECTATORS DURING TOURNAMENT. MUST BE 19 WITH PROPER PICTURE ID. NO EXCEPTIONS! LIMITED TO 128 PLAYERS.

ATTENTION! FRIDAY NIGHT RING GAME.
LIMITED TO 8 PLAYERS, ENTRY FEE $2,000.00 EACH. 4 1/2 x 9 Diamond Tables. STARTS AUGUST 6TH AT 8:00PM, FIRST COME FIRST SERVED, SO SIGN UP EARLY.$16,000.00 TOTAL PRIZE PURSE. 1ST $10.000.00, 2ND $4,000.00 & 3RD $2,000.00.

Please call and schedule Hotel accommodations early. For a list of hotels, please call 251-341-1117 after 2:00pm.

Breaker's Billiards Inc. reserves the right to make changes or cancellations.

JAM

Verified Member
hemicudas said:
Yea, Jennie Ann, Ronnie told me that he called ya. Pelican just sent me this info on the Mobile tourney.

August 7th & 8th, 2004

Pay outs based on 128 players. Full field add 15% to each place.

Bill, it sounds like it is going to be one FINE tourney in Mobile.

The UPA is having a UPA-sanctioned event, The Big Apple 9-Ball Challenge, NYC on August 5th through 8th, 2004. It is awful when tournaments happen at the same time (IMO), but if I had MY choice of the two, I would pick Mobile for my dough!

JAM

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
RA, KM and Mobile?

RA, KM and Mobile?

JAM said:
Bill, it sounds like it is going to be one FINE tourney in Mobile.

The UPA is having a UPA-sanctioned event, The Big Apple 9-Ball Challenge, NYC on August 5th through 8th, 2004. It is awful when tournaments happen at the same time (IMO), but if I had MY choice of the two, I would pick Mobile for my dough!

JAM
Ronnie, Keith and Mobile, together again? 30 years ago those two ruled the gulf coast. I would think Keith would love a big money bar box tourney. That ring game sounds just up his alley too. I'm sure there will be tons of action too. People still love Keith down this way.

satman

Verified Member
lots of results

lots of results

If there are any tournaments you need results to in the 80's, I have a large collection of National Billiard News that I may be able to find some results. Just drop me a PM if theres one in particular. Sam