'Pancho'

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
fred bentivegna said:
The more I brag, the more action I get.

the Beard

Hey Freddy......When you said the above sentence in another thread today, it reminded me of an 'all-timer'....

....the master, and most entertaining presenter, of the 'bragging hustle'....he was a thing of beauty, and funny as hell to watch in action - you can tell more stories than I can about him, may he RIP.....I am, of course, talking about Vince 'Pancho' Carelli....

For those of you who don't know about the 'real piece of work' hustler 'Pancho'....his move was to do the COMPLETE OPPOSITE of the stalling, undercover, hustler....

He would instead walk in a pool room and start saying (ala Fats) how he was the greatest player in the world and nobody in the pool room would have a chance with him, and the good players in the room better not try him any or they'll be sorry...cuz he'll beat them so bad, they'll be embarassed in front of everybody, and he'll just go on and on and on in this vein....So after about a half hour-one hour of this, all the shortstops in the room want to play him, either because he's got them so steamed with his obnoxious barking at them and want to beat him, or they think he's a bragging blowhard who can't play....

So then Pancho will proceed to relieve them of all their cash....:D....and he could very ably take down the cheese in many different games - pool, 3cushion, gaff games, one handed, etc....and the beauty of it is, lol...afterwards he gets to say what an honest guy he is....:rolleyes: - he'll say, "I warned/told you not to play me cuz I'm the greatest"......:D

- Ghost

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Harvey Weiss

Harvey Weiss

I knew him since the 60s, was as close to him as anybody, and I didn't find out his real name until after he died. I did at least know that he was really Jewish, and his first name was Harvey. Brooklyn Butch gave me the last name, Weiss. His real name was Harvey Weiss. He died dead broke. He came to my door when he was dying, to stay with me. He was empty of course, and all his boxes were empty.
Incidentally Panch could get 9 rails one handed on a slow billiard table.

the Beard
And yes, he screwed me many, many times

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
for those who don't know

for those who don't know

fred bentivegna said:
I knew him since the 60s, was as close to him as anybody, and I didn't find out his real name until after he died. I did at least know that he was really Jewish, and his first name was Harvey. Brooklyn Butch gave me the last name, Weiss. His real name was Harvey Weiss. He died dead broke. He came to my door when he was dying, to stay with me. He was empty of course, and all his boxes were empty.
Incidentally Panch could get 9 rails one handed on a slow billiard table.

the Beard
And yes, he screwed me many, many times

Freddie is a great story teller, and for the most part a very accurate, discriptive story teller. But what is going unnoticed on this forum is that Freddie is actually one of the most well liked, colorfull characters that we have in our little world. Every thing he said about Pancho is 100% true, just as most other things he brags about, most other things. But it says a lot about a person when another person chooses to be with you when he's dying. Several people chose to visit Freddie while they were dying, and if you really know Freddie you would have to agree that they made a good decision. Yes I am a close with Freddie and am proud to say that he's been my friend for almost 50 years.

For those of you that needle Fred keep it up, it's very entertaining, and yes he deserves every bit of it. But you better be a top player to go there.:)

SJDinPHX

Suspended
wincardona said:
Freddie is a great story teller, and for the most part a very accurate, discriptive story teller. But what is going unnoticed on this forum is that Freddie is actually one of the most well liked, colorfull characters that we have in our little world. Every thing he said about Pancho is 100% true, just as most other things he brags about, most other things. But it says a lot about a person when another person chooses to be with you when he's dying. Several people chose to visit Freddie while they were dying, and if you really know Freddie you would have to agree that they made a good decision. Yes I am a close with Freddie and am proud to say that he's been my friend for almost 50 years.

For those of you that needle Fred keep it up, it's very entertaining, and yes he deserves every bit of it. But you better be a top player to go there.:)

Billy, I think Freddy knows, I only needle people I like, (well...almost only...) :rolleyes:

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Rebuttal to George Fels

Rebuttal to George Fels

On AZ forums, Geo Fels rebutted my revelation that Pancho's real name was Harvey Strauss, not Harvey Weiss. He cited his sources as our own 3Cushion (Bill Smith), and the departed Jerry Orbach. Here was my rebuttal to his rebuttal.
I was with Pancho at least as much, if not more than Billy Smith. Plus Billy was famous for having an answer to any question ever asked. "What's the conversion ratio for 2 lbs of crude uranium into weapons grade U235?" He would immediately venture an answer. "I dont know," had no place in his vocabulary. I cant speak for Orbach, but I do know he was from Waukegan IL. originally. George, you can argue this one out with my source, the infamous Brooklyn Butch Fragone, who Pancho himself said could clear out whole bars if he was in the right mood. Butch claimed a very personal relationship with Panch, he was a 711 Alumnus also, plus he knew where Pancho lived, and lastly he also beat him up twice. As for me, I have no desire to contradict Butch.

the Beard
Butch carries the scars from six bullet holes from previous disagreements. Just ask Jay Helfert.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
You are getting soft, Willy

You are getting soft, Willy

wincardona said:
Freddie is a great story teller, and for the most part a very accurate, discriptive story teller. But what is going unnoticed on this forum is that Freddie is actually one of the most well liked, colorfull characters that we have in our little world. Every thing he said about Pancho is 100% true, just as most other things he brags about, most other things. But it says a lot about a person when another person chooses to be with you when he's dying. Several people chose to visit Freddie while they were dying, and if you really know Freddie you would have to agree that they made a good decision. Yes I am close with Freddie and am proud to say that he's been my friend for almost 50 years.

Aw, you shouldnta, Will, but thanks anyway. The older you get the mushier you get. I think they call that latent guilt, for all those people you robbed thoughout the years. I think it's probably too late, tho. The Devil has a warm place in his heart for you, and anxiously awaits your arrival. Artie will be there to keep you company (along with Pancho). Dick, John H, and myself -- us guys who loved to take the worst of it -- will periodically send down icy care packages to ease your eternal agony.

the Beard

SJDinPHX

Suspended
fred bentivegna said:
Aw, you shouldnta, Will, but thanks anyway. The older you get the mushier you get. I think they call that latent guilt, for all those people you robbed thoughout the years. I think it's probably too late, tho. The Devil has a warm place in his heart for you, and anxiously awaits your arrival. Artie will be there to keep you company (along with Pancho). Dick, John H, and myself -- us guys who loved to take the worst of it -- will periodically send down icy care packages to ease your eternal agony.

the Beard

Fred,

Now, don't you feel bad about what you said about Billy. Calling him an "ungrateful, young whippersnapper" and a "non-playing, "s--t disturber extrordinaire", and other names too coarse to repeat on a family forum.

He feels exactly the same as I do about you, (except for the faggoty "liking" part, and saying you rarely lied) :rolleyes:
But I thank God, he is speaking from experiences I never had to endure :cool:

Seriously Fred.... I wish I'd known you better, but not if I had to spend time in Chicago to do it.
Artie would be gone, and I would be on death row for killing him ! :eek:

Last edited:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
SJDinPHX said:
Fred,

Now, don't you feel bad about what you said about Billy. Calling him an "ungrateful, young whippersnapper" and a "s--t disturber extrordinaire", and other names too coarse to repeat on a family forum.

He feels the same as I do about you, (except for the faggoty "liking" part, and saying you never lied) :rolleyes: But I thank God, he is speaking from experiences I never had to endure. :cool:
You must be talking about youresef. Since you have become a judge. I know were I am going And THier is only one place and thats heaven. And the reason I am going thier is because I belive in Jesus Christ. And you dcannot get to heaven beccause you are a nice guy or you never did anything wrong. You can kill 50 people and if you belive in Jesus Christ you will go to heaven. He does not judge you for what you did in your life or who you beat or robbed. Who soever beliveth in me will not parish. But have everlasting life. And whatever we do on earth is all minor. Eternal life is forever. And that is what its all about. Not what we do on earth. So unless you belive in our savor. Jesus christ you canot go to heaven. And it does not matter what you did. You do not get to heaven becuse of good deads and good work. And I have bevived in God and Jesus christ and the holly Goast. Since I was Three years old and I belive in Jesus More know then ever. And Jesus was my role modle in life. And Thier has never been anyone close to him. He is my saveour. And died for EVERYONES SINS.

Skin

Verified Member
This place is going to give me a brain tumor before much longer.

Skin

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Artie Bodendorfer said:
You must be talking about youresef. Since you have become a judge. I know were I am going And THier is only one place and thats heaven. And the reason I am going thier is because I belive in Jesus Christ. And you dcannot get to heaven beccause you are a nice guy or you never did anything wrong. You can kill 50 people and if you belive in Jesus Christ you will go to heaven. He does not judge you for what you did in your life or who you beat or robbed. Who soever beliveth in me will not parish. But have everlasting life. And whatever we do on earth is all minor. Eternal life is forever. And that is what its all about. Not what we do on earth. So unless you belive in our savor. Jesus christ you canot go to heaven. And it does not matter what you did. You do not get to heaven becuse of good deads and good work. And I have bevived in God and Jesus christ and the holly Goast. Since I was Three years old and I belive in Jesus More know then ever. And Jesus was my role modle in life. And Thier has never been anyone close to him. He is my saveour. And died for EVERYONES SINS.

Artie, I edited my post # 7, after I read yours. It's good to know, I would still have 49 people left to put out of their misery.
Lighten up Artie...it's all in fun, unless you take it too serious.

PS Hang in there skin, I'll be gone in another 30-40 years, then there'll be all "Love and Tranquility".

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Artie Bodendorfer said:
And Jesus was my role modle in life. .

Did he run the 'ring toss' game or the 'I'll guess your weight' game? Maybe the 'shooting ducks in a barrel' game. I'm certain that he gave you good tips on separating 'rich' people from their cash. But did he show you how to part the 'Red Sea' or just how to separate the 'Green Sea'?

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Skin said:
This place is going to give me a brain tumor before much longer.

Skin

Skin,

SJD, Ghosty and I could always edit your "quoted" posts and make them much more interesting. Of course, you would deny everything the next day. And if you hung in this long, you already have a (small) brain tumor. Better call Doc.

Dennis

Skin

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
Skin,

SJD, Ghosty and I could always edit your "quoted" posts and make them much more interesting. Of course, you would deny everything the next day. And if you hung in this long, you already have a (small) brain tumor. Better call Doc.

Dennis

No, Dennis. If I have a brain tumor, I assure you it is a BIG one.

Skin

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Skin said:
No, Dennis. If I have a brain tumor, I assure you it is a BIG one.

Skin

Skin,

I was not referring to brain size of course, only pointing out that "larger" tumors would have caused you to abandon all hopes of ever discussing pool again. Kind of like the one I think I have.

Dennis

Skin

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
Skin,

I was not referring to brain size of course, only pointing out that "larger" tumors would have caused you to abandon all hopes of ever discussing pool again. Kind of like the one I think I have.

Dennis

I wasn't referring to brain size either, Dennis. :)

Skin

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Cowboy Dennis said:
Skin,

Dennis

I caught a few posts on AZ the other day. The young, unwashed banger's now refer to the 1P.org forum as, "The place where (in their words) The old guys, 'LOOSE' their cools....a lot... and sometimes say some really 'GNARLY' things to each other".

They are such neophytes.

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Skin said:
I wasn't referring to brain size either, Dennis. :)

Skin

Skin,

Don't forget that I have been christened with many nicknames since joining this site. Among them, "rust belt lunatic", "dork", "geek", "deek", "Brokeback Mountain Watcher"(Marilyn version), and probably a few others I have (thankfully) forgotten. But the one that I gave myself was "Cowboy 'Slow on the Uptake' Dennis". You just lost me. I've gotta go get another beer. Be right back.

Dennis

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
SJDinPHX said:
I caught a few posts on AZ the other day. The young, unwashed banger's now refer to the 1P.org forum as, "The place where (in their words) The old guys, 'LOOSE' their cools....a lot... and sometimes say some really 'GNARLY' things to each other".

They are such neophytes.

Dick,

Let them come over here and call us "gnarly". They'll go back where they belong, with their cue between their legs. Let them go back and answer questions about 'what kind of tips are best'? Or, what do you think about Chohan getting arrested. That only got about 8 million posts. Or perhaps some world-changing developments, such as "guess what happened in my league last night?'.

And did they really say "LOOSE" their cools? that's scary.

Dennis

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Cowboy Dennis said:
Don't forget that I have been christened with many nicknames since joining this site. Among them, "rust belt lunatic", "dork", "geek", "deek", "Brokeback Mountain Watcher"

Dennis

Yeah, but you should feel good about Papie calling you those names...he says it means he likes you.....:)

- Ghost

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
One Pocket Ghost said:
Yeah, but you should feel good about Papie calling you those names...he says it means he likes you.....:)

- Ghost

Ghosty,

You are always trying to start a problem where none exists. Don't you have a WEI layout to discuss or something? Or maybe some walls to fly through? Don't make me loose my cool.

Dennis